Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Dandontdare

I heard a (possibly apocryphal) anecdote about Gay Byrne many years ago: Apparently he was in talks with some American network bods about taking his talk show across the pond, but one of the execs thought there may be issues with a presenter called 'Gay' - they asked if he'd consider maybe using his middle name - until they found out it was Mary!  :lol:

His shows didn't air in the UK, with a few exceptions, but he was still fairly well known - possibly for the number of times that excruciating Boyzone (or was it Westlife?) clip was shown.

M.I.K.

Channel 4 broadcast an edited version of The Late Late Show in the UK for quite a few years, (came on about teatime, if I remember correctly).

sheridan

Quote from: M.I.K. on 05 November, 2019, 04:05:34 AM
Channel 4 broadcast an edited version of The Late Late Show in the UK for quite a few years, (came on about teatime, if I remember correctly).

I was going to say I watched it a few times as well (on UK TV).

IAMTHESYSTEM

Unfortunate news. I, like others, watched it on Channel 4 and enjoyed it very much. Gay Byrne appeared to be a natural interviewer, charming, witty, and he didn't just have celebrities. I remember one poignant interview with the only survivor of a massacre in Northern Ireland. Genuinely sobering stuff. He occasionally upset the Church and the Authorities, which can only be a good thing in my book.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Rately

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 05 November, 2019, 01:54:17 PM
Unfortunate news. I, like others, watched it on Channel 4 and enjoyed it very much. Gay Byrne appeared to be a natural interviewer, charming, witty, and he didn't just have celebrities. I remember one poignant interview with the only survivor of a massacre in Northern Ireland. Genuinely sobering stuff. He occasionally upset the Church and the Authorities, which can only be a good thing in my book.

Yes, he wasn't afraid to ask questions that made those in authority uncomfortable.

The interview with Annie Murphy alone would have been unthinkable with anybody other than Gaybo!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Rately on 05 November, 2019, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 05 November, 2019, 01:54:17 PM

Yes, he wasn't afraid to ask questions that made those in authority uncomfortable.

The interview with Annie Murphy alone would have been unthinkable with anybody other than Gaybo!

He was an absolute professional to the core.  Losing him must be like what losing Terry Wogan was like for you UK folks (also Irish, I know, but Gay stayed here).

It was only when Pat 'good at serious shit, terrible at lighthearted shit' Kenny took over the Late Late that I realised that the show would never be half as good again.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rara Avis

There is a terrific documentary made from the book too, well worth a watch.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 October, 2019, 06:07:37 PM
Robert Evans, aged 89 - poducer of (among many others) Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, Marathon Man and The Cotton Club.

His autobiography "The Kid Stays in the Picture" is a terrific read - an honest glimpse at the last days of the old hollywood studio system, with plenty of coke-fulled parties and A-list anecdotes.

dweezil2

Quote from: Rara Avis on 09 November, 2019, 01:39:24 PM
There is a terrific documentary made from the book too, well worth a watch.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 October, 2019, 06:07:37 PM
Robert Evans, aged 89 - poducer of (among many others) Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, Marathon Man and The Cotton Club.

His autobiography "The Kid Stays in the Picture" is a terrific read - an honest glimpse at the last days of the old hollywood studio system, with plenty of coke-fulled parties and A-list anecdotes.

I wholeheartedly agree, the documentary is well worth hunting down!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheridan

Professor Bear

This thread is depressing and I'm thinking of livening it up by responding to every post by saying why I'm glad the person above is dead.

Richard

I wish you were dead.

Professor Bear

I'm glad Richard was bummed to death by a gang of elephants.

Rately

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 November, 2019, 11:49:55 PM
I'm glad Richard was bummed to death by a gang of elephants.

Definitely worse ways to go.

Proudhuff

Shirley that's not the correct collective noun for elephants?
DDT did a job on me