Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 17 December, 2012, 03:20:00 PM
A recent, unexpected and not unwelcome interest in WWII fighter planes on the part of my son, combined with some sneaky Christmas pressie bargain hunting today, delivered the gigantic Air Ace Picture Library omnibus (lovely, lovely Ian Kennedy and Mike Western art among others) and a 1:72 Airfix Spitfire for the combined total of 10 euro.  For the Boy, of course, what other motive could Santa possibly have?

Santa's quite efficient, because I bet you would enjoy that present too. Coincidentally, I got a Christmas card from Ian in this morning's post. I'm sad to say his wife had signed it. That means I can't eBay it.  ;)

TordelBack

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 17 December, 2012, 03:23:05 PMCoincidentally, I got a Christmas card from Ian in this morning's post.

Troutfires mightn't be bombers, but they're apparently capable of dropping something...  ;)

This all feels a bit bizarre, since I am deeply conflicted about 'war stuff' and how I present it to the kids.  On the one hand I've never bought them army men or tanks or imitation guns, preferring the natural war-play of kids to be with space aliens, clones and fantasy monsters (and maybe the odd knight for good measure).  On the other hand, I find Dunkirk, the Blitz, the Battle of Britain, Normandy and the French theatre to be horribly fascinating, and at some level very important to know and understand. 

Even though happy circumstances of birth mean I'm freed of obligation to the national myths of Britain and the US and any patriotic teleology employed in interpretation of those events, I still find these stories inspiring, and I was genuinely thrilled when a WWII Biggles comic, of all things, led to my boy pestering every adult in range for information about Spitfires, Hurricanes, Blenheims, ME109s and Junkers JU 87s.  Hell, he's even started requesting carrots for tea.

Tangentially, today my brother returned to the toyshop the repeating Nerf gun which he had bought my lad for Christmas, saying he just couldn't bear to give it to a 6 year old kid after Friday's events. Despite trying to avoid coverage I've found myself unconsciously crying after stumbling across radio news or newspaper headlines, and yet here I am, delighted that my son found an interest in the machinery of war and the bloody business of aerial combat and bombardment.  It's all a bit rum.

Trout

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 17 December, 2012, 07:42:35 PM
Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 17 December, 2012, 03:23:05 PMCoincidentally, I got a Christmas card from Ian in this morning's post.
Troutfires mightn't be bombers, but they're apparently capable of dropping something...  ;)

:lol: I couldn't resist it.

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 17 December, 2012, 07:42:35 PM
This all feels a bit bizarre, since I am deeply conflicted about 'war stuff' and how I present it to the kids.  On the one hand I've never bought them army men or tanks or imitation guns, preferring the natural war-play of kids to be with space aliens, clones and fantasy monsters (and maybe the odd knight for good measure).  On the other hand, I find Dunkirk, the Blitz, the Battle of Britain, Normandy and the French theatre to be horribly fascinating, and at some level very important to know and understand. 

Even though happy circumstances of birth mean I'm freed of obligation to the national myths of Britain and the US and any patriotic teleology employed in interpretation of those events, I still find these stories inspiring, and I was genuinely thrilled when a WWII Biggles comic, of all things, led to my boy pestering every adult in range for information about Spitfires, Hurricanes, Blenheims, ME109s and Junkers JU 87s.  Hell, he's even started requesting carrots for tea.

Tangentially, today my brother returned to the toyshop the repeating Nerf gun which he had bought my lad for Christmas, saying he just couldn't bear to give it to a 6 year old kid after Friday's events. Despite trying to avoid coverage I've found myself unconsciously crying after stumbling across radio news or newspaper headlines, and yet here I am, delighted that my son found an interest in the machinery of war and the bloody business of aerial combat and bombardment.  It's all a bit rum.

There are plenty of positive stories in war. A lot of heroism.

SmallBlueThing

Now then, this is unexpectedly troubling. A couple of posts ago it was mentioned returning toy guns to shops in light of recent events. Well, i bought my two some 'stocking filler' automatic rifles (sets, along with handcuffs, walkie talkies, pistols, badges- you've all seen them) for xmas, and while ordinarily i wouldnt allow world events to affect me in this way, i'm now thinking quite heavily about this...

Which is anothereason i love this board.

SBT

SmallBlueThing

Now then, a while back i posted about getting rid of stuff and how liberating it was. Someone immediately replied that i would be straight to ebay to purchase loads more. While this hasnt happened, let me tell you what has arrived at my house this week, comics-wise, mostly by accident.

From people hereabouts, for which im incredibly grateful: Hellblazer #1-45 plus annual #1, and a stack of nineties horror comics (which ive had to split with my eldest) and some of those Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures pocketbooks.

From an old chum who, through his work, collects occassional boxes (apple boxes mind, not little ones) full of graphic novels and trades and then dumps them on me when i least expect it: one huge box of twenty-odd trades, including 'countdown to final crisis' vols 2-4, gibbons' ' the originals', dc showcase booster gold, batman, superman, a small horror dark horse trade called 'the cut' (which i read in the bath today and is so obviously a failed screenplay hoping for a second life) (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont), a number of spideys that ive shared with the youngest, and many more. Im also fairly sure there's a copy of Grandville: Bette Noir under the tree for me.

All very lovely- and i have several work-free, wife-free days between xmas and new year when herself is in Germany and the boys will be doing nothing but playing Skylanders Giants, Sonic Racing Transformed, Ultimate Alliance 2 and Overlord, so i hope to just lay on the sofa and read comics for five or six days.

SBT

maryanddavid

Quoteso i hope to just lay on the sofa and read comics for five or six days.

Nice!

SmallBlueThing

Yes indeed- and if Santa brings me Prometheus like i asked for, and if the kids are up for Empire and Jedi on consecutive days, and i can be arsed to put on Event Horizon and In The Mouth Of Madness after they've gone to bed, i'll have a filmtastic time too!

SBT

maryanddavid

Im no film buff, but I love Event Horizon, never fails to creep me out a bit.

Spikes

Just finished watching the brilliant, and thoroughly engrossing Neil Armstrong: First Man on the Moon on BBC2.
A fitting tribute to a genuine World hero, and thanks to input from family and friends, a rare glimpse into the private man's life as well. Footage of Neil with his growing family, playing golf, his 80th birthday party, and attending a Star Trek convention! plus the obvious high regard he was held in by his close collegues show that this most famous of people was an 100% all round good egg.
And its always a treat to see all that Apollo footage. Its lost none of its impact. Wonderous stuff indeed.

SmallBlueThing

Because ive been spending the last couple of days doing something fantastic for my wife, but i cant say what it is cos she's still in germany and hasnt seen it. It's been such great fun, the boys have been involved, we've done brilliant stuff together, my manliness has gone through the fucking roof and yet ive managed to maintain a maximum level of fey camp at all times, and indeed, some of what ive done could be described as 'flouncy'. Best of all it only occured to me to do it on saturday night and the entire project has taken two days from start to stop.

Im sorry i cant be any more clear!

SBT

Rog69

I've managed to see most of my friends and family over the Christmas period and I just realised that for the first time ever I haven't had to repair or de-spyware a single computer for anyone.

SuperSurfer

Don't really know where to put this. Life spugs, minor inconveniences, or sort of ok?

Been out of the picture recently as we moved out what was our fantastic flat into my mother's house. Moving was a bloody nightmare – more like an evacuation. Forgot just how stressful it can be. Happened in a rush for various reasons, one being that I didn't want to turn down work while it was there.

At our old place I had my own dedicated workroom but I am now sitting in a front room surrounded by about 45 boxes of our belongings, with our furniture collapsed and in storage. It's an inconvenience we will have to put up with until we get our own house as I am done with living in flats. Hopefully this situation won't go on for too long.

But I almost feel guilty complaining as there are many people in a far worse situation. Been an inconvenience but at the same time we are very lucky to have the option to be here.

Nevertheless, good to be back.

strontium71

Welcome back SS! But don't feel bad because there are other people worse off - everyone's problems are still stressful to them. I know others are far , far worse off than me but when something goes wrong in my life , it's still a pain at the time.
...because I hate you.

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm sure I read somewhere that moving is in the top 3 most stressful events in life. When we moved in here I said to Caz that I'm gonna die here before we ever move again and when I helped her brother move out of his flat, that was mega stressful. I finished work, grabbed a few hours sleep and went round to his flat with his dad. When we walked through the door he hadn't packed anything. Even the games console was still attached to the bloody tv. Words were said, believe me!