Main Menu

Great beards of 2000AD

Started by Trout, 28 December, 2013, 02:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

The Canadian winter has led to me growing a beard for the first time in my life. It's insulation. Unexpectedly, I'm quite enjoying it.

I found myself thinking about beards in comics. I liked that big mess that Captain America grew that time he got fired by the US government, but generally beards look crap in US comics. They're hard to colour.

But what about 2000AD and the Meg? Can we draw up a list of the best face fuzz presented by the House of Tharg?

So far I've got:

Nick Stone, Meltdown Man (offset with an eyepatch, too!)

Judge Lopez (unfairly stigmatised by Old Stoney Face)

Judge Dredd (when drawn by Frank Miller)

There must be tons that I haven't thought of. Of course, the greatest beard among the droids must be on the majestic face ofMassimo Belardinelli.

Anyone want to pitch in?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Trout on 28 December, 2013, 02:46:04 PM
But what about 2000AD and the Meg? Can we draw up a list of the best face fuzz presented by the House of Tharg?

Wulf Sternhammer.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

As a beard-owner myself, I applaud this thread. There's nowhere near enough beardoes in comics. To the ranks of the hirsute, we must add:

Dirty Frank.

Judge Solomon (in his original appearance in 'The Cursed Earth'.)

Grand Dragon Mazarin from 'Nemesis the Warlock'.

PJ Maybe in Byron Ambrose mode.

Molch-R

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Daveycandlish

I've been called a beard before, but that's a different story...
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Albion

Do droid beards count?

Happy Shrapnel.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Goaty

Richmond Clements

TordelBack

SuperSurfer

Miller's Dredd.

No, the other one.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Numerous supporting characters in Slaine.

I'm pretty sure Sam Slade briefly had one.

I reckon Dirty Frank's beard doesn't really count. It's probably alive, so it's more like a parasite clamped to Frank's chin, than a beard.
You may quote me on that.