Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteThe system simply cannot be changed from within, the last two and a half (or whatever) years is, to my eye, a clear demonstration of this view.

And again I say, laws were changed in my country (for the better, unlike Brexit) because of two referendums.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

JBC, I agree that the gay marriage and abortion referendums look good on the surface but at core they are still appeals for authorities to allow or disallow basic human rights. They are simply a reinforcement of the idea that some people have the right to decide what's best for others. In ten or twenty or thirty years a government could come along and overturn those decisions because it's allowed the power to make legislation and pass it off as law.

Morality cannot be legislated, it's a matter of education and personal responsibility.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Rately

Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 March, 2019, 10:25:34 PM
Time for a Hail Mary.  If you don't sign this I will find you.

Christ! Alright, Liam. Laying it on a bit thick, like....

Over a million have signed, and website has crashed again.

sheridan

Quote from: Rately on 21 March, 2019, 04:28:15 PM

Possibly due to people checking what the running total is!

lighten the load

Mattofthespurs

So glad that North London and Cambridgeshire have stepped up to the plate.

But then we have always been an enlightened bunch  :P

JayzusB.Christ

My hopes aren't too high (and obviously as a foreigner I can't sign it) but 5 million signatures is impressive.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

It was pretty fucking awesome in London yesterday too. Obviously bigger than the first march when you were immersed in it. Mostly because it moved at the speed of an asthmatic slug.

radiator

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 March, 2019, 03:24:05 PM

My hopes aren't too high (and obviously as a foreigner I can't sign it) but 5 million signatures is impressive.

I saw some Tory minister dismiss it the other day, sarcastically saying 'let's take a look when it passes 17.4m' to smug laughter.

At this point I think it was still in the hundreds of thousands.

It's 5.3m now and (I would guess) will probably top out around 6m, but how funny would it be if it actually did surpass 17.4m?

JayzusB.Christ

I must admit to being very disappointed that Trump has been cleared of collusion.  We're going to get another 5 years of the slimy, bigoted old boor now; I just know it.

blackmocco

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 March, 2019, 04:25:30 PM
I must admit to being very disappointed that Trump has been cleared of collusion.  We're going to get another 5 years of the slimy, bigoted old boor now; I just know it.

Yep. Two term president now, easy.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 March, 2019, 04:25:30 PM

He hasn't been cleared — Mueller's inquiry was very limited in scope and truncated by the appointment of AG Barr, the man who got Reagan off the hook over Iran/Contra and became Attorney General by declaring that he wanted the job and didn't think the president should be prosecuted.

Mueller's investigation only covered two very specific possibilities, which he has reported lack sufficient evidence to make a case. Not exactly exoneration. As I understand it, Mueller has effectively "sub-contracted" more than a dozen separate/parallel investigations to other offices/organisations/authorities.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

I'm guessing the public perception will get him over the line though. I hope I'm wrong.

Funt Solo

I figure it's always been a long shot to impeach even with strong evidence.  To beat Trump, you need an opponent who convinces as being able to deliver an economic boost (and for Trump to have significantly harmed the economy in some way). 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rately

I'd love to think that he would say / do something that would turn the voters, even the rest of the Republican party against him, but at this stage, with some of his behaviour, that's clearly not going to happen.

A horrendous shit stain of a human being.

We can only hope at some stage in future they take him off in handcuffs.