Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Film & TV / Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
« Last post by radiator on Today at 05:49:27 pm »
Best way I could explain it was when there's someone from the film doing a skit in character and it's just too knowing.

Yeah, it's kinda like an SNL skit or something, or a self-aware spoof like Galaxy Quest.
« Last post by radiator on Today at 05:45:27 pm »
Return of the Jedi remains my favourite Star Wars film (the original version, before they ruined it).

Anyone know how the Fox merger affects the likelihood of Disney rereleasing the unaltered originals?

I had always assumed they were waiting for Lucas to pop his clogs, but maybe this changes things?
« Last post by JamesC on Today at 05:39:40 pm »
Just back from seeing the film as a birthday treat. I enjoyed it but I can see the flaws.
The most annoying thing for me was the total ineffectiveness of Star Destroyers in the film.

Return of the Jedi remains my favourite Star Wars film (the original version, before they ruined it).
« Last post by radiator on Today at 05:37:32 pm »
It is great to see Hamill get the limelight again. He's so great on screen and he seems like such an awesome guy off screen too. I never understood why he didn't have much of a movie career after Star Wars.

Though I don't really like where they take his character in this, he plays the cranky recluse part really well.
« Last post by Steve Green on Today at 05:14:09 pm »
Yeah, pretty much what radiator said.

The same when Luke calls it a laser sword - it jars a bit as if it's from someone talking about Star Wars rather than being a character inside it. Even things like running out of gas felt odd.

Best way I could explain it was when there's someone from the film doing a skit in character and it's just too knowing.
« Last post by hazy efc on Today at 05:01:18 pm »
I thought the last jedi was overall a better film than the force awakens it definitely has some issues pacing being one of them but Im nit picking, as for who stood out in the film Mark Hamill stole the show for me I could easily watch a whole film based on older Luke on his island also Carrie Fisher r.i.p was terrific too.
« Last post by radiator on Today at 05:00:10 pm »
I also loved the humour.

I liked a lot of it. Goofy humour has always been a key part of SW, and a lot of the stuff with Luke - the milk scene, the porgs and the caretakers etc felt really in keeping with that. I even liked it when he casually tossed the lightsaber over his shoulder, it was a funny way to deflate 2 years of build up.

What I have issue with is what I took to be the irreverent, meta kind humour - there was a little of it in TFA ('That's not how the Force works!"), but quite a lot more of it in this one. Like when Rey makes a crack about the Jedi 'lifting rocks'. It doesn't really seem like something the character actually would say in that moment, it's more of a postmodern, self referential kind of quip you'd find in a Joss Whedon script. It's the kind of humour that works really well in the Marvel movies, but just didn't really sit right with me for a SW movie and really took me out of it, much like Chewie's weird 'Tarzan' bit does in Jedi. Likewise Yoda's use of the term 'page turner', or thing with the steam iron, which was just so baffling to me. It's like the film turned into Space Balls for a second there.

Rian Johnson has taken the reigns and moved the story on

I'd argue what he's actually done is pushed a giant reset button.
General / Re: The 2000AD Advent Calendar 2017 COMMENTS THREAD!
« Last post by von Boom on Today at 04:55:30 pm »
Congratulations on the success of your raffle Eamonn!
« Last post by Big_Dave on Today at 04:49:31 pm »
« Last post by SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on Today at 04:37:45 pm »
On the whole, I liked that more than any Star Wars since Revenge of the Sith. My main problem with these is the lack of Lucas. Whatever you think of the prequels, at least it was what he wanted, and he was unapologetic of his vision. These ones will always have a slight tinge of fan fiction about them, and it would be easy to dismiss them just as easily as I can dismiss the yards of paperbacks and comics in the shops.

That said, they mimic the "real" stuff very well, and if you squint and go in the best frame of mind, it's hard to fault them.
Problematic things:
Yoda. Lovely to see a puppet. But not THAT puppet.
What was up with that? The eyes were weird, the smirk was weird, it seemed stiff and expressionless... And the dialogue was just weird. We came out joking about "pyromaniac stoned Yoda who hits everybody with sticks"

Snoke. Excellent to see him killed, if he was. But why a CGI man and not an actor in makeup. He's human sized, basically human and the proportions of his face would fit a man in makeup. The CGI version just looked to me like it had "floating eyes".

That all said, I loved the end scene. I took it to mean that after a period of inactivity the Force had "awakened" and that all across the galaxy, people were at last fulfilling their potential to become Force users. The "fire" that Leia had spoken of being "sparked".

Very sad to see the death of Luke- and was unprepared for how moving I found that. Bearing in mind he's the first hero I can remember falling in love with as a small child, it felt like the end of innocence, in a way.

If they never made another Star Wars film, this could have served as a fitting End. As it goes, I have no idea what they can do next. 

SBT

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10