Main Menu

Recent posts

Off Topic / Re: Boys Adventure comic blog
Last post by Richard S. - 15 April, 2024, 06:37:11 AM
the post yesterday about the Eagle club notebook was popular - so let's have something similar today...yes it's the Eagle club cycle pennant. Enjoy!

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2024/04/eagle-club-cycle-penant.html
General / Re: Space Spinner 2000AD
Last post by SDurnin - 15 April, 2024, 12:02:14 AM
Just listening to Episode 82. D.J.1 is not an Asian stereotype but of toothy British deejays.

Great podcast, Conrad.
Film Discussion / Re: Civil War
Last post by Funt Solo - 14 April, 2024, 10:28:21 PM
He opens by pissing all over Alex Garland's other films, so can I suggest his review is going to lack balance? Then he complains that Civil War is about a Civil War - which is, well, it's moronic, isn't it? Snakes on a Plane should've been called what?

I think I'll stick with Empire, for at least an attempt at balance, and a hiring and editorial process that would sort the wheat from the chaff.
Last post by Hawkmumbler - 14 April, 2024, 09:43:34 PM
Curious review, especially given the last two paragraphs seem to wholesale misrepresent pretty boilerplate aspects of the narrative.

The ever readable Matt Lynch sums up my own take away (with a few derivations, of course) better than I actually could.
Last post by Funt Solo - 14 April, 2024, 09:27:37 PM
Empire gives it four stars, and summarizes thusly:

"As a political statement, Civil War is provocative and occasionally exasperating; as a purely cinematic experience, it is urgent, heart-in-mouth, extraordinary stuff."

I don't always agree with Emp, but it's higher on my respect-o-meter than random net-worriers. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm guessing it's going to lean anti-populist, anti-fascist, anti-militant - but subtly because they want MAGA-heads to watch it as well.
Last post by Hawkmumbler - 14 April, 2024, 08:32:24 PM
Wan centrist hand wringing. Seen arguments being made Garlands unwillingness to make any sort of socio-political statement is the point but...NOT making a statement is still making a statement. Make some sort of argument one way or another on binary political Pidgeon holing at least, lest all you're left with is what we got. Vague, hollow gesturing in the general direction of demarcations and echoing 'really makes you think, huh?'.

Craven in its cowardice, ugly in its mediocrity. Stank.
Last post by Richard - 14 April, 2024, 08:23:30 PM
Damn, really?
Last post by Hawkmumbler - 14 April, 2024, 07:54:42 PM
Well. That was fucking wank.
Creative Common / Re: Cover Puns
Last post by The Legendary Shark - 14 April, 2024, 07:19:45 PM

Psychic projection of youthfulness. Indicator of vanity, possible pressure point. (SJS Assessment Bulletin)

Creative Common / Re: Cover Puns
Last post by Funt Solo - 14 April, 2024, 06:34:09 PM
Quote from: Vector14 on 14 April, 2024, 05:13:53 PMAnderson has a daughter!?

Judge Anderson in 2127 (aged about 50):

Anderson's daughter in 2145 (18 years later):

The only thing that baffles me is that we never saw the story in which Anderson gives birth (or conceives a daughter through other means). Her daughter looks like she just graduated from the academy, so there's some missing tale left to be told.