Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I only stumbled across Paul Auster about a year ago when I feel in love with the cover of Timbuktu and being someone who thinks that very often you can judge a book by its cover I snapped it up. While I don't think its particularly representative of his work it is a glorious book and if you like dogs then I can't recommend it highly enough.

My personal favourite of his that I've read is Mr Vertigo but I'd actually suggest that New York Trilogy might be more representative of his work? It's a damned fine read also.

Old Tankie

Just read a brilliant GN - Crecy by Warren Ellis, Artwork by Raulo Caceres.

Roger Godpleton

Stay away from Travels in the Scriptorium until you've read a lot o his other work.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Jonathan O

I'm a sucker for a book list:

This week I are mostly been reading Up The Walls of The World by James Tiptree Jr and Punisher: Widowmaker.

Along with all the books what I've got to edit.

Roger Godpleton

Also I'm midway through DC Showcase: Brave and the Bold vol 2. That Boston Brand sure is a drip.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

Reading some fairly good books at the moment, but probably not anything very creditable.  The last really great book I read was Neal Stephenson's huge Anathem, which I thought was brilliant from beginning to end.

Currently amusing me is William Millar's  The Amateur Astronomer's Guide to the Celestial Sphere, which is way more fun than it sounds, and has me merrily working out positions on charts and pretending to be a smart astro-type.  My wife is thoroughly sick of hearing about it.

Just finished Charles Stross' Hidden Family, the second book in his odd economic fantasy series The Merchant Princes, and while it's all very clever I'm still not sure if I like it or not.

Nearly finished David B.'s Epileptic comic collection, which is painfully eye-opening, in light of my finding out that one of my colleagues suffers quite badly from epilepsy. It's also quite beautifully drawn.

Just starting Lappé and Goldman's Shooting War collection, another one I'm quite sure is terribly clever, but I'm not convinced is my cup of tea.

Also reading Gardner Dozois' indispensible Years Best SF anthology (No. 14), which is, as always, utterly superb.  

Closer to home, I'm re-reading Slaine, which is often even better than I remember it.  

If it counts, I'm presently addicted to several web-comics, including stablemates Order of the Stick and Erfworld, both of which are currently apocalyptic in tone, and the excellent SubNormality.  

My current audio-book choices for commuting are Patrick O'Brian's superb Aubrey-Maturin novels as incomparably read by the late Patrick Tull.

Mikey

I like these threads as they usually flag up stuff I've missed...

I'm just about to start 'A chaos of language' by Moore & Campbell, and after that the comics list is 100 Bullets -Samurai and I finally got the last couple of Transmetropolitan books, so I'm thinking of starting at the beginning to get the full impact.

I have about 4 or so Interzones to catch up on and a similar number of Black Static. Next book up is Anathem by Neal Stevenson (which I got when it was published!). Also have a Brian Aldiss edited compilation and some other novels that I can't even remeber the names or authors of - they're too far under the pile.

Parallel to all that is The Geology of Iceland and Teach Yourself Icelandic, pronounciation of which is a bit like chewing toffees (Hae!Komdu saell og blessaður!Hvað heiter ðu?).

Dragging slightly off topic...but in the past I have worked with people who 'don't read' apart from magazines an that. I often wonder how the hell they wind down before going to sleep and what they have to entertain themselves beyond yer everyday TV and the daily grind. They really don't know what they're missing!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

House of Usher

Quote from: "Mikey"I often wonder how the hell they wind down before going to sleep and what they have to entertain themselves beyond yer everyday TV and the daily grind. They really don't know what they're missing!
Not everyone finds reading useful as an aid to sleep. Too much mental stimulation after 11pm sometimes keeps me awake all night.

Your work colleagues probably entertain themselves with video games, drinking alcohol or having a wank before bed.
STRIKE !!!

Martin Jameson

I am just about to start reading "Matter" by Iain M Banks and JD Case Files 11. This is after a year of reading nothing. Not even 2000ad, although that is about to changed.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote'At-swim-two-birds' by Flann O'brien, again.

Reading another of Flann O'Brien's, myself. The Dalkey Archives. What a great writer.

Mind you, I'm also halfway through re-reading Terry Jones' Medieval Lives, another cracking book (Did you know, for example, that medieval scholars never thought the earth was flat?)

Just finished reading LOEG: Black Dossier. Enjoyable, if not earth-shattering. Nice bit of 3d, you don't see much of that these days. Except in reality of course
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

dweezil2

Just finished reading 'I Am Aive And You Are Dead:A Journey Into The Mind Of Philip K. Dick', which is every bit as intense and "way out there" as one of his novels.
Just started 'When Giants Walked The Earth-A bIography Of Led Zeppelin', which, so far, is compulsive reading.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Richmond Clements

QuoteYour work colleagues probably entertain themselves with video games, drinking alcohol or having a wank before bed.

Of course, reading and wanking are not mutually exclusive.

Mardroid

As way of comics I'm reading Invisibles volume 5 at the moment (I liked the first two but I didn't like 4. This one is interesting although i'm uneasy about the hand of glory stuff, being a real spell and all. [spoiler:1h99ktsf]And I could do without the juices stuff.[/spoiler:1h99ktsf])

A strange series the Invisibles. I'll read some stuff and thing "What a bunch of pretentious nonsense" (usually the trippy mind expanding 'Es and Mushrooms stuff) then I'll come across some time travel/transdimensional stuff which is genuinely rather interesting. I wish the little Scouse goit would stop swearing though.

In way of Novels, I'm Reading Gemmell's Legend.  I've read other Gemmell books and rather enjoyed them. I'm finding the romantic stuff in this particular book a bit irritating though. I'm not against a bit of that, it's mainly the way it's dealt with I find irritating.

Bouwel

I'm currently working my way through Greg Egan's 'Permutation City' (well worth a read), Atomic: The First War of Physics and the Secret History of the Atom Bomb 1939-49 (not bad, but The Making of the Atomic Bomb (Rhodes) is more definitive) and Verbal Judo (for use in dealing withy awkward members of the public at work).

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Peter Wolf

Tornado comic plus various old 2000ads ,comics and various reference books but the time i spend reading is absolutely minimal as doing art takes up a lot of my spare time.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death