Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

Comics wise I'm tearing in Deathblow: ...And Then You Live! by Brian Azzarello and Carlos D'Anda and Wasteland Volume Three: Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos. Book wise, I'm reading War PLC by Stephen Armstrong.

I, Cosh

Quote from: "House of Usher"
Quote from: "Mikey"I often wonder how the hell they wind down before going to sleep and what they have to entertain themselves beyond yer everyday TV and the daily grind. They really don't know what they're missing!
Not everyone finds reading useful as an aid to sleep. Too much mental stimulation after 11pm sometimes keeps me awake all night.

Your work colleagues probably entertain themselves with video games, drinking alcohol or having a wank before bed.
It's all those things that leave me lying awake and reaching for a book.

Usually have a novel and a spot of non-fiction on the go, but I've gone full on reality this week. Lying on the bedroom florr we have One Palestine, Complete: a fairly readable and even-handed history of the British Mandate. In my bag for reading on the bus is Madness Visible, a fairly impassioned and rather partial journalist's memoir of the Balkan wars of the 90s.

In the Prog stakes, I'm catching up on 1250 - 1272: Helter Skelter, The Romanov Empire and R*volution. Not bad stuff.

I'll add my name to any petition to get Greg Egan more publicity - heartless, brainy, hard sci-fi like nobody else ever made - and I Am Alive... is a real eye-opener, even if you already know PKD was a bit mental.
We never really die.

House of Usher

Alcohol completely ruins sleep for me.
STRIKE !!!

Paul faplad Finch

Just realised, I'm a total phillistine compared to you lot. You're all, like, intellectuals and junk. Gonna have to think about digging out some of those Dickens booksI never got around to cracking the spines on I reckon
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Trout

Those Kim Newman books are bloody fantastic!

satchmo

Quote from: "King Trout"Those Kim Newman books are bloody fantastic!

I can't put it down, it's quite brilliant. Criminal that it's out of print.

Trout

Yes, it is. I found a copy in the library, in pre-child days when reading was possible.

The ending's mental, too.

- Trout

ABC Fernando

Comic: Daredevil (Miller-janson); Black Dossier (Moore-O´Neill)
Book: Salvador Dali collection (gala-dali foundation)
Can Bisley draw my new tattoo??

Ignatzmonster

Books wise, read 13 Clocks by Thurber (which is charming as shit BTW) and am now reading Crash by Ballard. You do not look at cars or airports or highways the same way after. Fantastic science fiction and still shocking 35 years later.

Comics wise read Pluto by Urasawa, Scalped by Aaron, and Zippy the Pinhead: Kingpin.

I have to have a book to sleep. Not that they make me sleep mind you, but I know when to sleep when I can no longer concentrate on the page in front of me.

Oh, and just got in Casefiles 12 and have been enjoying that of course. Love that early Weston art. Not to say I think he shouldn't have evolved but I wish SOMEONE was still drawing like that.

Albion

Comics - I've just started re-reading all the Dredd stories from the Meg.

Books - The Autumn books by David Moody. I'm on the third one now, Purification, really enjoying these.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "peterwolf"Tornado comic plus various old 2000ads ,comics and various reference books but the time i spend reading is absolutely minimal as doing art takes up a lot of my spare time.

Are the Tornado's any good? I kinda want to get hold of Starlord as it looks to have some pretty good stuff in it but Tornado doesn't seem to hold as fond a memories for people?

Devons Daddy

just picked up CAROLINE by neil Gaiman,
a favoured writer of mine.
shall begin it tonight.

also re-reeading the hitch hikers giude to the galaxy, for the sheer fun of it,
to remind myself what the littery world lost when he died before his time.
so many brillant quotes, and off the wall statements made.

his explanation of the uses of a  towel  being one of my favourites.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

House of Usher

And I'm reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves. It's a lively and entertaining read, to be got through in big chunks at a time.
STRIKE !!!

Judge Kirby

Quotehis explanation of the uses of a  towel  being one of my favourites.

i love towel day. its the best day  8-)

not reading anything at the mo. im gonna pick some stuff up later tho. maybe some manga.

Daveycandlish

I've got three books on the go at the minute (one is never enough for me);
The new Tony Hancock biography, Night of the Morning Star (Modesty Blaise novel), and The Tent, The Bucket and Me (which has had me howling with laughter as Emma Kennedy reminisces about camping holidays in the 70's - anyone else ever pissed in a bucket in the dark? And then knocked it over?)

Comics I'm reading;
Tank Girl Volume 1, The Spirit by Darwin Cooke, and Stickleback

How I have time to do anything else is a mystery!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!