Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

I own Flash Gordon, but there's something magical about finding it on telly, you just have to watch it. Adverts and all. :)

Hawkmumbler

Flash Gordon is chuffing ace! Nutty as a snickers and cheesey as chedder but one of the most visually and stylistically memorable movies ever made.

sheridan

Quote from: von Boom on 19 June, 2017, 07:00:40 PM
I own Flash Gordon, but there's something magical about finding it on telly, you just have to watch it. Adverts and all. :)

I don't own a TV, but I do remember switching on the B&B TV when I was on holiday one time and watching it to the end :)

Smith

Horror of Dracula I think it holds up pretty good.Cant say that I was really scared,but then again,horror movies never scared me before.Unlike the news.

I, Cosh

Quote from: SIP on 18 June, 2017, 11:01:16 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 June, 2017, 09:24:37 PM
John Wick 2... I was a bit bored to be honest. Loved the first one.
You are officially not in my cool book. John Wick 2 rules.
I enjoyed it the first time but was left somewhat unsatisfied by a second viewing until I realised the airline had carefully edited out a lot of the headshots. Nonetheless, there's a lot of arch waffle in it that I could easily do without. Much like The Raid 2, the expansive, "world building" scenes don't do much for me beyond building up the anticipation for the next round of brutality.
We never really die.

SIP

Quote from: I, Cosh on 20 June, 2017, 07:59:15 AM
Quote from: SIP on 18 June, 2017, 11:01:16 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 June, 2017, 09:24:37 PM
John Wick 2... I was a bit bored to be honest. Loved the first one.
You are officially not in my cool book. John Wick 2 rules.
I enjoyed it the first time but was left somewhat unsatisfied by a second viewing until I realised the airline had carefully edited out a lot of the headshots. Nonetheless, there's a lot of arch waffle in it that I could easily do without. Much like The Raid 2, the expansive, "world building" scenes don't do much for me beyond building up the anticipation for the next round of brutality.

I think it's a solid "middle" film. Third and final one on the way, and if that is a satisfying conclusion to the story then this will stand up as a great action trilogy. If the third one sucks, then I think it will have a retrospective impact on how I see 2. At that point I would just stick with the first film on future viewings, much like I do with the matrix.

Hawkmumbler

Law if diminishing returns see also Taken.

SIP

Other taken 1, they are rubbish. John Wick 2 is still very good, it just needs a solid  part 3 to round it off, as it finishes in an unresolved manner.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Smith on 20 June, 2017, 07:09:02 AM
Horror of Dracula I think it holds up pretty good.Cant say that I was really scared,but then again,horror movies never scared me before.Unlike the news.

The next two are even better, in my opinion! If you liked that then give Brides of Dracula and Dracula Prince of Darkness a go. The fourth entry is a bit of a snore-fest - but the fifth, Taste the Blood of Dracula is a cracker. After that the quality's really variable and continuity goes completely out the window!
@jamesfeistdraws

Theblazeuk

Lo, I have just seen that there is a John Wick comic coming out illustrated by Greg Pak. Good choice!

Quote from: SIP on 20 June, 2017, 11:53:58 AM
<SNIP>https://forums.2000ad.com/Themes/default/images/bbc/spoiler.gif
I think it's a solid "middle" film. Third and final one on the way, and if that is a satisfying conclusion to the story then this will stand up as a great action trilogy. If the third one sucks, then I think it will have a retrospective impact on how I see 2. At that point I would just stick with the first film on future viewings, much like I do with the matrix.

It was alreet, just felt a bit bored by it all. None of the shooty parts had any impact to me in stark contrast to the first and it was all a bit old hat by the end. Didn't enjoy the portentiousness of the whole secret society lark that much either - and found the Central Park scene utterly ridiculous. Sniggered a bit at shooting silenced pistols at each other with no one noticing when just seconds earlier a crowd had screamed and ran away at the exact same level of gunfire. And god knows what was going on with Morpheus and his competing tribe of NYC hobo ninjas - guess they were trying to contrast with the poncy pretention of Ian McShane and the magical word of the Continental.

Essentially my disbelief never managed to get suspended, probably because this time round John's motivations were pretty weak. "I'm back. Again. Like I just was. Because they blew up my house so I would do a job for them, so I did it but then they tried to kill me to clear up loose ends, don't ask me how that would have cleared up loose ends - I am a legendary hitman and everything is an open secret in any case - but anyway I now have to kill everyone who wears black until I catch up with the bloke with the daft hair".

At least last time it was "I was out. I'd retired. But you came to my home. You took the last pieces of the woman I loved away from me, all because you thought you were untouchable."

Krakajac

A bit late to the party - but speaking of The Black Hole.  On a recent jaunt to Japan, found this in one of their numerous toy stores...a vintage Maximillian model (11 inches in height).  Quite hard to come by these days.

The movie had quite an impact on me as a kid.  I wish someone would release a nice model of Vincent and/or Bob.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Packed in quite a few films on a recent plane journey to UK and back:

Free Fire
Fun little action movie by Ben Wheatley - it's basically one long gunfight. Script and story are a little barebones, but it's elevated by an absolutely amazing cast. In particular I was really impressed by Armie Hammer. It feels like he's been cast in a lot of big things but has never had a big break. I remember that he was going to be Batman in George Miller's abandoned Justice League movie - shame he never got to play the role.
4/5

Get Out
Liked rather than loved this - probably a victim of its own hype. It feels like a bit of a stretch to call it a 'horror' movie - feels more like a feature length Twilight Zone episode.
3/5

Doctor Strange
A bit meh, to be honest. Incredibly by the numbers origin stuff, flat and uninteresting characters, boring generic villain. Livened up only by some genuinely awesome visuals (but even those ultimately feel a little derivative of Inception). I must admit this was quite late into the first 12hr flight and I was drifting in and out of sleep and a little distracted by following the incoming election results. Missed the ending, probably won't go back to rewatch it.
2/5

Shin Godzilla
Confession: I've never actually seen a Godzilla movie other than the 1997 Hollywood remake... This was pretty fun though. Tbh I found a lot of the non monster scenes kinda dragged, the acting pretty ropey (especially the fake american accents) and the overall plot was incredibly predictable, but the scenes with the actual monster were fun. Loved the modern Godzilla redesign, especially the bonkers first form with its haunting googly fish eyes.
3/5

Arrival
I was worried this might be a bit dry (which was why I didn't see it in the cinema) and I wasn't fully convinced until the ending (in particular I wasn't sure about the paradoxical way in which it's all wrapped up), but that last montage and revelation came out of nowhere and punched me right in the feels. Must admit I shed a single manly tear as the credits rolled. Fantastic film.
5/5

Hell or High Water
Superior modern Western/thriller about a pair of bank robber brothers and the ageing Texas Ranger on their trial. Beautifully shot, scored and paced, superbly acted and all four principal characters are really well-rounded and engaging. Really absorbing atmosphere and poignant themes. I love how it plays with your sympathies throughout until an ending that leaves you to draw your own conclusions. I really can't overstate how much I loved this film or recommend it highly enough - one I'll certainly return to in the future.
5/5

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 June, 2017, 02:37:30 PM
It was alreet, just felt a bit bored by it all. None of the shooty parts had any impact to me in stark contrast to the first and it was all a bit old hat by the end. Didn't enjoy the portentiousness of the whole secret society lark that much either

It's been suggested on another forum I somehow managed to sleep through all the action sequences because I genuinely can't remember any, bar the car chase at the beginning. And the suicide. Oh, and something kicking off in NYC, I think. Alcohol may have been a factor.

But, yeah. T'was disappointing given the free-for-all the trailer seemed to promise. And because at the time I'd decided against seeing the first one at the flicks I even hired it on DvD from my local library prior to watching Chapter 2. Bah!
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Hawkmumbler

We've talked at length before about the good and the bad of gore master Lucio Fulci and his cinematic frightfests. He's made some gems he's made plenty of stinkers but one that seems rather decisive is The House by the Cemetery. It cant be denied it's an awful movie, but also with its fair share of stand out moments. As a result it stands alongside City of the Living Dead as a hard to define movie thats a little too plodding for its own goid with just enough shock and horror to keep you going. Not a classic, but pretty entertaining in it's own way.