Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I bought three volumes of Astro City in the recent Comixology sale (not all by chance. I'd read some from the library.)

I'm glad I did.Really good stuff. I particularly enjoyed Confessions. Unlike the others which are usually an anthology of short stories, this contained one long story and one short bittersweet story. The first worked well in the lengthier format ostensibly being a 'new sidekick learns the ropes/detective story' but also being about growing up, and responsibility. The second 'the nearness of you' showed the repercussions of one of those superhero time alteration events from the perspective of an ordinary working bloke. It's heart-rending, yet strangely positive too.

Even those of you not into superhero stories might get a kick out of these books. I hope to get more volumes soon.

The last comic series I read was X-Factor volume 1. I haven't been that interested in the team in the past as I thought it was a teen mutants thing, (although I think inwas getting them mixed up with Generation X or somesuch). This was actually about a mutant team in a PI agency shortly after the House of M event where 90% of mutants lost their mutations. The volume wasn't long, but it was pretty good. In turns brutal and dark, and also rather funny. Again, not typical super hero fare but in a different way to Astra City.

The Adventurer

Astro City is a treasure. If you liked Confessions, you're probably going to love Tarnished Angel. There isn't really another long form story again until The Dark Ages though.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mardroid

That's okay, I did enjoy the short stories too.

Colin YNWA

Speaking of Astro City... well I will but first let's speak about the fact there's just not enough time to read comics...

... well okay I read an obscene amount of comics but the trouble is that still isn't enough. Over at the Prog threads I often catch myself saying such and such a story will probably be better on re-read and then wonder when the hell I'll get to that and the honest answer is often when I get to those comics on one of my Prog reads... so stuff I'm saying I need to re-read in recent Progs I'll get to in 4ish years assuming my current re-read keeps up its present pace (I've actually added Prog from 2019 into my to read spreadsheet this evening!) ... so what the hell am I doing whittering about this shit for. Well a couple of comics in my recent haul could benefit from a re-read... they'll get added to my spreadsheet and I will get to it... honest.

First there's Vinegar Teeth 4 the last of this interesting series. I loved the first couple of issues of this as I bought both together in a whim and as this series has some pretty difficult but fresh storytelling technics I had time to get into those idiosyncrasies and enjoy them. The last two two bought monthly have been harder to get into and follow. Still I suspect when this gets to re-read it'll be a good un.

Second one to benefit form re-read is Kong on the Planet of the Apes 6 specifically the ending of what has been a fun romp up to this point. On its own this ending felt a little flat and anticlimatic. I suspect however when read back it will read much better and the timing will be fine, he less so. Give me another 4 years or so and I'll come back and let you know.

Anyway elsewhere... if not that far Planet of the Apes Ursus 4 is great, Mage - The Hero Denied 8 MAGNIFICENT and the return of Black Hammer in Black Hammer - Age of Doom 1 sees the core series return, all be it with a new number... well 1 Jeff Lamire really is developing his world gloriously here. I kinda think this is his Astro City (from my understanding of Astro City that is) its brilliant stuff.

Alas for it its not book of the haul, that falls to another returner, not Lazarus 27 mind which makes a very welcome come back, rather its Resident Alien - An Alien in New York 1 which sees Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse's supremely underplayd masterpiece slide warmly and grippingly back into our comicsphere. This book really is a delight and Steve Parkhouse's art just gets better and better.

So interesting haul to say the least.

Theblazeuk

Glad to see Lazarus back, think a certain character fell into good luck there. Wonder if he'll ever be back? Love to know WHATS GOING ON in Black Hammer but enjoy every step of the way. My pick of the weeks haul is Highest House #3, which makes a dozen strides in plot development seemingly in a single bound.

Theblazeuk

Not a new comic but last night I read the wonderfully named Sexcastle, a book which has little in the way of castles and not much sex but which is pretty bloody great on all counts. The first book from Kyle Sparks of Rock Candy Mountain fame (well fame within this thread), it's just as fun as the later work.

Colin YNWA

Need noseying around for things to pick up by Kyle Sparks and having no knowledge of Rick and Mority Sexcastle did standout as an option. Will give it a try.

CalHab

If you have any affection for 80s action flicks, then you'll enjoy Sexcastle.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 April, 2018, 09:26:49 PM
Speaking of Astro City... well I will but first let's speak about the fact there's just not enough time to read comics...

and the return of Black Hammer in Black Hammer - Age of Doom 1 sees the core series return, all be it with a new number... well 1 Jeff Lamire really is developing his world gloriously here. I kinda think this is his Astro City (from my understanding of Astro City that is) its brilliant stuff.

hmmm, an interesting take away. The Doctor Star series in particular does feel like an Astro City tale in many respects.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Smith

History of comics v2 I imagine this would only be interesting to amateur comic historians.On the other hand,they probably know it all before.DC Implosion,B&W boom and bust,Great comic crash of 1996,Air Pirates,British Invasion...are all subjects that every youtuber and their brother already covered.
I have to say that the issue focusing on manga history was pretty educational.On the other hand,piracy themed issues is a load of bull.

Colin YNWA

Don't stop me now I'm reviewin' some comics
Readin' um was a ball
Don't stop me now
They gave me such a good time, I'm loving this haul

Don't stop me now (reviewin' a good time)
Don't stop me now (cause they gave me a good time)
I won't stop reading comics at all

Yeah I'm a comic nerd on my way from my shop
On a reading course
I am a whitter, I'm out of control
I am a geek machine nerdgun fully load
Like a comicbomb about to
Oh oh ooh oh oh nerdplode

The Prince Bride is on telly as I type, its inconceivable that you wouldn't like the comics I'm about to recommend... you can see where this is going can't you. Let's see if I can keep this up huh...

Doctor Star and the Kingdom of the Lost Tomorrows 3  is Mel Smith as the Albino, it may not be the main offering, it might not be the star of the show, but by George you are glad its here and alas it'll be gone too soon.

Hillybilly 9 is Robin Wright, beautiful on the eye and full of depth that you might miss. Understanded and a joy

Kill or be Killed 18 is Chris Lloyd as Count Regan, dark and brooding yet effortless entertaining and you know it won't end well

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 30 Andre the Giant, large charming fun and you small so much when the big fella appears

You want to know my book of the haul. As you wish

Snagglepuss 5, Peter Cook, Peter Falk, Cary Elwes, Chris Sarandon and Mandy Patinkin all rolled into one. Just a brilliant comic.

Colin YNWA

Quickie for FCBD. I'll just slip it in sharpish, don't worry it'll all be done in a second.

Doctor Who - unsatisfying advert
Metabaron - satisfying advert
Tick - not even close to what it once was
Tank Girl - Nice remeniscence of what this once was
Barrier - Now given that I couldn't understand half of this (my Spanish is poor) it was bloody good and I'm very tempted to  pick up this series.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 May, 2018, 09:11:16 PM
Barrier - Now given that I couldn't understand half of this (my Spanish is poor) it was bloody good and I'm very tempted to  pick up this series.

Yep, if reprinting a first issue is all the effort you're going to put into FCBD then this was the one to do!  Not on my radar at all prior to this, but despite an uneven relationship with Vaughan's work, I'll now be giving it a go. Reminded me a lot of Brink, and there's no higher praise...

From your list, I rather enjoyed that Doctor Who medley, as one who hasn't read a Dr Who comic of any kind since Abslom Daak was doing his thing. Metabarons also made a bit of sense to me for the first time ever (I normally just look at the pictures) thanks to some handy info-graphics.

The Strangers in Paradise relaunch issue tickled an interest I thought long dead.  The Gregory Graves (read: Lex Luthor) and Oddwell intros in the very odd Starburns Presents volume were also surpisingly engaging. 

Many more to go, my daughter and missus did the run on my behalf, and they were far greedier and more eclectic than I would have been!

Theblazeuk

Rather enjoying horror comic Infidel, which has a growing creepy occult vibe tied in to the bubbling anger beneath identity politics. Can't way for #4 now it's all kicked off.

Also read Rat Queens. Gave up after relaunch, was convinced to try again, lost me again somewhere between #8 and #9. Just no idea what the hell is happening.

Colin YNWA

My comics she be fine, this haul it be devine...

... well that might be over stating it but I've certainly read them and here I am to tell you which you should read, which you shouldn't bother with... I've got far to good control over me comic pump these days for there to be many that you need worry about. Anyway lets go.

Kong of Skull Island - 2018 Special - With more Magno art and giant apes this is one you should buy of you enjoy giant gorilla's fighting monsters while viking bicker and DIE. i.e. if you have a beating heart (and a bit of extra cash - its pricey!)

Cinema Purgatorio 14- Which you should buy if you agree 4 out of 5 stories being good to great in an anthology is a good return.

Judge Dredd - Under Seige 1 - I've discussed elsewhere and you should read if you've read my comments about it there.

Speaking of Elsewhere ... 7 - This you should read is you like Copperhead and need to have something to cling onto when that ends in a few months - oh and giant octobeasts, rampaging skele-mammoths and portals to great cliffhangers.

Plant of the Apes Ursus 5 - You should read if you like Planet of the Apes stories told well, with superb Kubertesque (the good old dead one) art, so basically see beating heart comment above.

KIll or be Killed 19 - You should read if you respect my call on book of the haul - even though this isn't it could be and assuming you don't get this comic regularly want to immediately understand the meaning of regret as you join this classic at its penultimate issue.

Lazarus 28 - You should read if you respect my call on book of the haul - even though this isn't it could be and you want to immerse yourself into a brutally grim world of well realised pain and misery so wonderfully compelling you have to tear your eyes out to stop the tears...

Hillybilly 10 - You should read if you respect my call on book of the haul - even though this isn't it could be and OH MY GOD WHY IS THIS ENDING WITH ISSUE 12, WHY, IT'S SOOOOOO GOOD, so good. WHYYYYYYY!!!!

Black Hammer - Age of Doom 2 - You should read if you respect my call on book of the haul - even though this isn't it could be and you comprehend the value of a compelling down to earth library heist juxtaposed with an interdimensional mystery journey.

Speaking of down to earth - Resident Alien - An alien in New York 2 you should read this book if you realised there's more power in a quiet story told well, with superb compelling characters, genuine tension and mystery and want to learn how you can make a 20 page comic about how to make a phone call become something entirely engaging ... oh and you don't hate your own mother. BOOK OF THE HAUL