Main Menu

Jammy Finds

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 27 March, 2014, 05:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

In the mid nineties a second hand bookshop in Great Yarmouth had a huge collection of 2000ad Titan albums come in. They were selling them all for about £1.50 each. The collection included most of the Dredd ones up to the late 20s (I think), Robo Hunter, lots of Nemesis and all of Zenith.
Unfortunately I didn't have any money to buy them. I went back a week or so later and picked up some good stuff but the cream of the crop had gone.

shaolin_monkey

I got the entire Lone Wolf and Cub collection from eBay for £50 about a decade ago, the original Dark Horse reprints. They are mint.

I had bought the first three for £12 each from FP, as I had intended to collect them anyway. So in one fell swoop I saved myself upwards of £200.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 27 March, 2014, 05:58:26 PM
That bastard Cosh will be along shortly to explain how he ripped off an Oxfam shop of a full run of Scream.
Did somebody say charity shop finds? Two or three years ago, my local Oxfam book and record had a fairly typical UK comic collection dumped on them: Prog 300 - date and a bunch of other stuff.  These guys know there way around a pile of prog rock LPs but didn't have much of a clue what to with this. I was still trying to fill a few gaps in my collection at the time so I was happy to spend an hour or so rummaging through musty boxes.

In the end, I came away with a full run of Scream (including the specials), Prog 1208 and half a dozen other assorted Megs and Progs. I can't remember the exact price but, after applying the 3 for 2 offer and making a mess of counting how many issues I had, the guy definitely gave me change from a fiver!

I feel I should point out that, to pay my good fortune forward, I sent half the Megs to Grant and gave prog 1208 to Satanist. All for no charge. The Screams did fetch well over 100 quid on eBay though...
We never really die.

Skullmo

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 March, 2014, 01:57:31 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 27 March, 2014, 05:58:26 PM
That bastard Cosh will be along shortly to explain how he ripped off an Oxfam shop of a full run of Scream.
Did somebody say charity shop finds? Two or three years ago, my local Oxfam book and record had a fairly typical UK comic collection dumped on them: Prog 300 - date and a bunch of other stuff.  These guys know there way around a pile of prog rock LPs but didn't have much of a clue what to with this. I was still trying to fill a few gaps in my collection at the time so I was happy to spend an hour or so rummaging through musty boxes.

In the end, I came away with a full run of Scream (including the specials), Prog 1208 and half a dozen other assorted Megs and Progs. I can't remember the exact price but, after applying the 3 for 2 offer and making a mess of counting how many issues I had, the guy definitely gave me change from a fiver!

I feel I should point out that, to pay my good fortune forward, I sent half the Megs to Grant and gave prog 1208 to Satanist. All for no charge. The Screams did fetch well over 100 quid on eBay though...

Which you then kindly donated to charity!

I bought my Screams for 50p each from Paradise Alley in London in the early 1990s. When I sold them on ebay somebody bid them all up to £20 each!!! Surely that has to be the highest price ever for set of Screams. I still 2 of the specials.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Emp

HeroQuest, Advanced HeroQuest and 3 add ons from local charity shop for the princely sum of £20! Bargain considering getting the same stuff off Ebay could run to well over £100 easily.

Satanist

At the weekend my boy clocked a smashing Ninjago set on sale in Asda for £7 which he has since built, its £30 in Lego shop.

Hes well chuffed.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Proudhuff

I found a Titan Zenith in a Moffat oxfam shop for 50p which i paid, the guilt overtook me and i gave it to Perstonpandamonium to auction off, it raised about 40 quid so my guilt was soothed...
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 27 March, 2014, 08:00:32 PM
I thought we were going to get to show off our PJ's here. Drat.

I once opened the front door in my Jammys...

I thought, there a strange place to have a door ( Chic Murray )
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

This very lunchtime I was in the huge secondhand bookshop in Gundeli when I chanced upon the '82 and '83 Sci-Fi Specials for the princely sum of one Frank (about 70p.) Both are in damned fine condition for their age. I fear this stroke of luck may set me on the pointless path of collecting any others which I don't have.

They were sitting on top of a pile of Dr Who annuals and Weeklys of a similar vintage. A quick flick turned up what looked like a Dave Gibbons illustrated Tom Baker story. Would that be right?
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 August, 2014, 02:14:27 PM
They were sitting on top of a pile of Dr Who annuals and Weeklys of a similar vintage. A quick flick turned up what looked like a Dave Gibbons illustrated Tom Baker story. Would that be right?

Barring a very small number of fill-ins (including the incredibly wonderful Junkyard Demon by McMahon), Gibbons drew the lead strip in Dr Who Weekly/Monthly for the whole of Tom Baker's tenure, and into the Peter Davison years.

So, yeah, basically that sounds about right.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Blackberry. Home made. Not so much found, as delivered by my niece this morning.

Cheers

Jim

CrazyFoxMachine

I refuse to refer to you as anything but "JimJam" from now on :D

Also is that a figurative illustration of you on the label? That is adorable!

Jim_Campbell

It's jam for Jim, accompanied by a picture Jim in his jimjams. Apparently. :-)

Cheers

Jim

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 August, 2014, 02:14:27 PM

All readily available in reprints, I own the Panini collections but IDW have done a very nice colour collection too. Written by Wagner and Mills they are well, well worth picking up.