Main Menu

The Class Of '79- Archive edition.

Started by Bolt-01, 26 October, 2016, 08:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Greetings Squaxx.

Following on from the untimely passing earlier this year of Stewart, we at Zarjaz were asked about putting out a Co'79 special. While this was a really good idea, and something we would have really enjoyed, Tharg did it better by putting Harry Heston in the Meg.

However, what we 'are' doing is beginning work on a 'Archive edition' of both classic 'zines.

What I've done is get a set of scans from my print copies, and I'm using those as a basis for what amounts to rebuilding them. Where possible I'm matching fonts, but I'm also building what I believe the cadets would have if they were putting the work out now.

I've had permission from as many folks who worked on '79 as I can so all being well in the mid-future the Class Of '79- Archive edition will be available to download, for free, for all.

This is a pretty sizeable job, as you can imagine, so I'm asking for some help.

First, can someone help me with a 'clean' scan of:

and are there any squaxx oout there who want to transcribe a few articles for me? There are some astounding articles in these pages, and I'd love to be able to present them in a 'perfect' form once again.

If you are able to help, then please get in touch by PM.

Thanks all.

maryanddavid

What a nice idea Bolt, they were two great 'zines. Was there a bit of a third issue online with the SJS judge?

Where is the Cartoon McMahon from and Ill see if I can get a better scan?

Spikes

Steven Sterlacchini

Someone will probably have a better one, but in the meantime.

I don't remember ever scanning it, so I must have found it somewhere online (perhaps Barney?)

sheridan

I'd be happy to transcribe articles for you.  How many are we talking, and what kind of wordcount?  Also, I'm going to be busy in November, so would prepare to transcribe in the last days of October or early in December (though if neither of those works I can do November).  I was preparing to spend money on printed archive editions!

Trout

I type pretty quickly, Bolt. Bung me some scans and I can join the transcribing early next week.

Bolt-01

Massive thanks, guys. I'm down in Devon on my hols right now so my connection is pretty spotty. I'm home Friday night so I'll get some PMs and mails out to folk Sat AM.

Steve- you are a star.

Bolt-01

Thanks again for getting back, and to Sheridan and my piscine liege, PM's are on the way.

Bolt-01

Holy Sneck, look at the time!

I've been beavering away at this, in between issues of Zarjaz, Dogbreath and the like but I've hit a snag. My copies of the 'zines are not the best printed things in the world. The comic pages have some thin white lines running through that despite all my efforts I just can't seem to get clean.

So- and I know this is a big ask- is there anyone out there currently with access to a set of Class of '79 that wouldn't mind getting the strip pages from both issues scanned? Ideally the scans will be at a 'much' higher rate than usual to allow for some image manipulation & clean up.

Thanks Squaxx!

maryanddavid

Dave, I have both issues and the print quality seems good. Not sure if I have the time in the next few weeks to scan, Hols coming up! I can send them over to you if it would be of any use.

Bolt-01

Cheers David- I'll drop you an email.

matty_ae

Hi. I've got all of Rufus artwork for Dredd 'Courtroom' strip. There's some blur from the letraset glue but could these be any help?

Bolt-01

Matty_ae, if you could get me a set of scans made that would be astounding. I've liaised with Rufus over sourcing better scans so this is great news.

If there are any issues with this, please PM me and we can see about sorting them.

Ta

matty_ae

I'm back in work Monday and will scan them there. PM me any scanning tips/what resolution etc.

Bolt-01

matty_ae- you are a star. Those scans look the business. I'll have a good look when I'm next working on the books, but these are a different class to the scans I'd got from my printed editions.

Thanks again.