Main Menu

Scarred For Life Volume One - a book about dark 70s pop culture

Started by Stegron, 29 March, 2017, 04:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Mine turned up - just had a skim and it's very dense at 700-odd pages, I could quite see it filling 2 or 3 larger format books with colour images and a bit more space to breathe.

Apparently there's a colour PDF available with the purchase of the printed version, but haven't hunted down a link yet.

Bad City Blue

I ordered a book, I got a potential murder weapon!

I can see myself dipping into this for the next year or so
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Lobo Baggins

Finally finished reading this - can't recommend it highly enough!  Even if those bloody Green Horse Things from Project UFO were staring RIGHT AT ME for TWO WHOLE PAGES!  Eeeek!

It also finally allowed me to identify the last of my half remembered childhood TV memories - 'a man, standing in a park at night, turns into a tree' - to an episode of 'Shadows' called 'The Man Who Hated Children' where George A Cooper from Grange Hill... turns into a tree.  And it takes AGES.  No wonder it stuck in my memory.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Hawkmumbler

Shadows is something i've been meaning to get around to, like many of the serials in this tome Network put out sets of the entire series.

Bad City Blue

It's great reading this and then looking for the stuff mentioned on YouTube. I'd never even heard of Romany Jones and now I feel the same mild distaste as everyone else! Not awful, but of it's time.

Bad City Blue

Not sure if it should also have been mentioned that Arthur Mullard was a notorious dealer of domestic abuse.

Bad City Blue

And every "the Black Hole" fan knows it's V.I.N CENT (Vital Information Necessary CENTralized) not V.I.N.C.E.N.T - loving the book anyway

Krakajac

Was going to start a new thread for this book - glad I searched for the word 'scarred'. :)

Recently got my copy - simply awesome - and a very reasonable price considering its size/weight.

Looking forward to the second volume - but as I was slightly older in the 80's - I may not be quite as scarred. :)

sheridan

1970s public information films - the second one is really scary, but for completely different reasons to when it was produced*...

*the clue is 1970s

sheridan

Quote from: NapalmKev on 29 March, 2017, 10:55:12 AM
I remember a particularly bad one where a young lad gets his feet cut off by a train. The policeman knocked on the door and, holding up the lads football boots, says to the mother "He won't be needing these any more!". Dark stuff!

Cheers

I wasn't familiar with that one so just youtubed it - it's the narrator who says that - the copper says "They asked me to bring you these" (not sure who they are, or why they would want him to bring them to the mother before she's even seen her boy lying in hospital...)