Main Menu

Most emotional JD stories?

Started by marko10174, 07 December, 2017, 10:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

Looking for any recommendations that I may have missed. There have been quite a few stories that have pulled at my heart strings, Leviathan's farewell being the crowning achievement. Bury my heart at wounded knee is another great example. Other ones I can think of at the top of my head... an error in judgement, the death of a legend. Any suggestions?

The Adventurer

Fading of the Light got me the first time.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

radiator

malkymac

I thought 'Death of a legend' was up there - another painted by Pete Doherty.

TordelBack

Zombies is a good one alright.

Full Mental Jacket is surprisingly affecting, for a strip that appears to start out as a bad pun.  Over the Wall is pretty sweet, and at the other end of the emotional spectrum, the later chapters of Song of the Surfer (if it counts as Dredd), with MacNeil somehow turning familiar OTT Dreddworld carnage of national stereotypes into something grim and moving.

Richard

Surprised America II got a mention but not the first one!

radiator

'The Mega City Way of Death' is up there for me. A very underrated Dredd story, that (perhaps because the beautiful Greg Staples artwork is smothered under those ugly early digital colours).

Leigh S

Not one for Alan Grant's solo Dredd, but "John Cassavettes is Dead" is up there

Woolly

The name of this one escapes me, but there's an old Cliff Robinson Dredd about living crash test dummies who have various diseases tested on them.
I think it was just a one-off - hopefully someone else here will point you in the right direction!

Leigh S

Woolly - I think that is the laaready mentioned "Zombies"? The Incredible Exploding Man from around thte same time might qualify?

Woolly

Ah-haa! Like I said, someone will point you (and me!) in the right direction  :-[

The Adventurer

Quote from: Richard on 12 December, 2017, 05:57:24 PM
Surprised America II got a mention but not the first one!

Here's the thing, America is great, no doubt. But I think America II has a big double whammy of a gut punch between Beeny's rape and what he has to sacrifice to protect his daughter in the end.

Also, in a similar vein, Terror is another story who's resolution hits pretty hard.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Pete Wells

'Letter from a Democrat; (Prog 460) and 'A Letter to Judge Dredd' (Prog 661) are both good 'uns.

sheridan

I didn't recognise some of those stories from their titles either, I might be mistaken, but here's my guess at the following:

• Leviathan's Farewell - is this the Anderson/Corey story, featuring the last humpback whale?
  • Error of Judgement - part of the Ron Smith trilogy - Error of Judgement, Case for Treatment, and... er... the other one
  • The Death of a Legend - McGruder's farewell?
  • Fading of the Light - ?
  • Zombies - the afore-mentioned Cliff Robinson medical dummies (rather like a certain episode of New Who)
  • Simple Domestic - ?
  • Full Mental Jacket - Ian Gibson's gang story (except for the last episode)
  • Mega-City Way of Death - is that the one with a citizen who works for the clean-up crew?
  • John Cassavettes is Dead - early Colin McNeil view of MC1 Justice Department's censorship, a la Fahrenheit 451
  • Incredible Exploding Man - someone caught in an explosion walks through the Cursed Earth and tries to get back into the Big Meg
  • Terror - ?
  • Letter from a Democrat - John Higgins, pre- the Democracy storyline
  • A Letter to Judge Dredd - similar vein in the lead up to Necropolis

Richard

Correct about most of those.
Fading of the Light is America II.
Mega-City Way of Death in prog 1111 is about a sky surfer who is shot in the head and his body is used by a terminally ill rich man for a full body transplant. He then bumps into the sky surfer's girlfriend.
Terror was by Wagner and Colin MacNeil, fully painted, about a Total War terrorist who falls in love and decides to pull out of a suicide mission.