Main Menu

Slaine Demon Killer, Choice of Cover Art.

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 25 September, 2009, 10:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Out of the five choices shown below, which would you choose?

2 (11.8%)
2 (11.8%)
3 (17.6%)
0 (0%)
8 (47.1%)
Some other random painted artwork, concept piece for Slaine by either Glenn Fabry, Dermott Power or Greg Staples.
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: 24 November, 2009, 09:01:01 AM

ThryllSeekyr

Checking out Clint Lanely's photoshopped close up of Brain-Biter is cool, but is that really being considered for the cover of Demon-Killer.

I suspect it's really just a placeholder until the powers that be decide.

Off course, I have noticed that sometimes the cover art is often drawn by a different artist altogther from the artist commissoned to draw for the story itself.

For the sake of being interesting.

They might choose some art work that might have sufficed, but didn't make it past the editing stage last time.

I could go on about this for pages, but I will just leave it there.

locustsofdeath!

I like the third choice (is that Bisley art?). Classic warrior pose, nice background.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: locustsofdeath on 25 September, 2009, 10:04:50 AM
I like the third choice (is that Bisley art?). Classic warrior pose, nice background.

End Of Quote

Thats the work of Dermott Power.

Can't tell his work from Glenns Fabry's where takes over right at the beginning of Queen of The Witchs

It's pratically seemless, but the light's very bad in here at the moment.

Theis thing noticed with a few of the Graphic novels is that a diffrent person alltogether is being credited for the cover design.

Paul Webb is the person creditted in that particular version.

Richard Scott did Treasures of Britain

I wonder if he/they are the ones who just chooose the cover and cutting it to size, applying the logos, title, and blurb where appropiate.

TordelBack

Number four for me, it's got rude bits!  Both kinds!

ThryllSeekyr

Just so You all know.....

You have SIX choices and not the FIVE as announced above.

Just look for it right at the bottom of the other five.

It's my first poll, by the way.

Quoting Tordelback

Number four for me, it's got rude bits!  Both kinds!

End of Quote

Yeah, I knew of the picture from the DTwenty Slaine Rule Book. It looks as though it drawn for that story.

I beleive it's Glenn Fabry's That waht it says on the the old {b]Barney[/b] site.

I like that one also, but not so sure when placed up against the others.

The both kinds of nudity is more obvious at that level of zoom.

My only problem with it, is that Slaine looks childessly petulant in that pose with that facial expression.

Notice the skull appears to have bullet holes. Obviously projectiles of the non-explosive variety.

ThryllSeekyr

Concerning Poster Picture Number Four

It looks as though it drawn for that story.

Actualley, when you turn that picture on one of it's sides you can red that it's very true that it's a promotional poster for Demon-Klller.

blixab

I would prefer a different cover than the previous one (although it was excellent) so I would go for the final one shown.

I would imagine that if the reissue came out with the same cover as the original that the collector may shun it.

vzzbux

Number 3 for me. Always loved Dermott Power's cover work.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

ThryllSeekyr

Quoting Locustofdeath

like the third choice (is that Bisley art?). Classic warrior pose, nice background.

End OF Quote

Most of the Slaine the featured post {b]Horned God[/b] is mistaken for Simon Bisley's work. --At First--. Even though it isn't. I think becuase his was painted first. You might say The Horned God{/b] was the first to stand up.

quoting blixab

I would prefer a different cover than the previous one (although it was excellent) so I would go for the final one shown.

I would imagine that if the reissue came out with the same cover as the original that the collector may shun it.

End OF Quote

I take it, you mean number SIX. I might also  ask you to discribe or draw your ideal choice. It's still optional. I'm not pressuring you to. I just thought you might like to do that as well.

Mike Gloady

IMAGE 1: Clint Langley, photoshop axe - No, it doesn't represent the art inside and should be saved for whatever book is coming after BoI.  It's great, but no thanks.  Not for this one anyway.

IMAGE 2: Glen Fabry, attacking Roman infantry formation - Lovely, I believe this was the title page when it appeared in the prog originally but can't find the energy to go into the attic.  Very cool image full of action (and thus a good indicator of the interior contents).

IMAGE 3: Dermot Power, carrying heads (Hamlyn Edition) - It's a great image, I'd be happy with this if that's how it turned out.  It's a bit of a "I'm a hard nut, me" pose but the character has always suited that interpretation.  'Cos he IS.

IMAGE 4: No name generic fantasy image (Hamlyn collected edition of Demon Killer/Treasures of Britain) - No, it's a perfect example of that "muddy" cliche lots of folks used to describe the fully painted art of that era.  It could be ANY muscle bound barbarian, no thanks.  I want slaine to leap grinning at me with his pancreas snapping the head off a passerby.

IMAGE 5: Glen Fabry, "starting next prog" montage - It's good, but it's also a little squiffy in places, it's use as a "coming soon" or "next prog" means it was almost certainly done early in the creation of the strip and it shows as he's much more at home on colour Slaine by the time you actually got there.  

Why are all these images from just "Demon Killer/Queen of Witches" though?  Other stories are proposed for the collection.....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

ThryllSeekyr

Quoting Mike Gloady....

I want slaine to leap grinning at me with his pancreas snapping the head off a passerby.

End OF Quote

Hard to visualise that. Sounds alittle stomach churning, but warped and I guess that might almost be appropiate.

Quoting Mike Gloady....

Why are all these images from just "Demon Killer/Queen of Witches" though?  Other stories are proposed for the collection.....

End OF Quote

Well, those pictures would be the heart of this next graphic novel if going the way I think it is.

Remember in the ForthComing Thrills thread. You yourself said that words to the effect Demon Killer should be a combining of.....

The High King Which is really just a introduction following up to -

Demon-Killer This is the first part of the heart of this graphic novel.

Queen of the Witchs Which is really the rest of it.

Return of the High King Which seems like the best opposing bookend to The High King as a introduction to more time travelling tales of Slaine.

Hopefully Jealousy of Niamh will find it's place somewhere in the stories combined.right now. Though, I 'm not so sure of how essential it would be at this point.  Until I reread it.

Take note that Image Number Four is from Demon-Killer/Queen of the Witches/Treasures of Britain gereaphic novel. Which is almost what we could be getting. Though, it's I'm agreeing on the image itself. It's a genric barbarian image dressed as Slaine, but this new look never stuck.

A reason why I put forward Image Number Five. The next Prog Montage by G. Fabry. It's got just about everything there. Except, I don't like the image of Slaine himself.

If you haven't voted already, and you don't approve of any of those images, mainly representing Demon-Killer/Queen of the Witchs, then check off box Number Six. Right at the bottom. It does represent unused Slaine concept art, cover scans or some yet to be Slaine art work.

I only wish I remembered to nominate the Slaine poster from that poster prog Return of the High King It's a great picture of Slaine salmon leaping with axe and sword in each hand over a purple golden backdrop of Dinas Emyrs. The only problem, with that picture is the lack of any images of Elfric and Roman solders. The Slough priest with the cauldron, Niamh and Kai and Slough Feg that complete the rest of that montage never appear in Demon Killer. As this story recaps some of the highlights of Slaine since the beginning.

Which is a pity as that is a favorite of mine and has not been used as a cover before. Despite being featured on the front of Slaine The Invunerable King: A source book for the Dtwenty Slaine Role Playing Game. Anything from Mongoose Publishing doesn't apply here.

Can anybody here combine the image from the poster prog and next prog montage Image Number five?

Removing the faults, I'd do it myself, but my computer is still searching for the source of that same image I copied to my desktop a long while ago.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 04 October, 2009, 10:10:31 AM
I only wish I remembered to nominate the Slaine poster from that poster prog Return of the High King It's a great picture of Slaine salmon leaping with axe and sword in each hand over a purple golden backdrop of Dinas Emyrs. The only problem, with that picture is the lack of any images of Elfric and Roman solders. The Slough priest with the cauldron, Niamh and Kai and Slough Feg that complete the rest of that montage never appear in Demon Killer. As this story recaps some of the highlights of Slaine since the beginning.

Which is a pity as that is a favorite of mine and has not been used as a cover before. Despite being featured on the front of Slaine The Invunerable King: A source book for the Dtwenty Slaine Role Playing Game. Anything from Mongoose Publishing doesn't apply here.

Can anybody here combine the image from the poster prog and next prog montage Image Number five?

Removing the faults, I'd do it myself, but my computer is still searching for the source of that same image I copied to my desktop a long while ago.

I found the thread here where I first copied this image as my desk-stop background before it disappeared on me. As of a few months ago, I found the same thread, saved the image and put it back up again.