Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

No way is Maggie the Mechanic a challenged title! What is wrong with the the world?!

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 24 September, 2015, 09:55:12 AM
No way is Maggie the Mechanic a challenged title! What is wrong with the the world?!

A lot!

Some other classics in that bundle too, worth it for Heartbreak Soup and Essex County alone.

Colin YNWA

Come on they have Bone in there. There's no rhythm or reason to what gets banned in some places. I remember the Bone bruharhar was particularly deflating though.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 September, 2015, 10:44:50 AM
Come on they have Bone in there.

Maybe the name "triggered" some unpleasant connotations for some poor unfortunate.

The Adventurer

If you click on the titles most of them have links to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund site with a write up of why it was challenged.

Bone was challenged over several things, including alcohol and tobacco usage. Unsettling themes and violence.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

There's a really good piece from The Guardian, talking to Jeff Smith about it all.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/19/jeff-smith-bone-us-banned-books-week

amines2058

For all the artists out there Manga Studio 5 is currently $15(£9ish) via the Smith Micro website and Manga Studio EX5 $87 (£55ish). Expires 29th Sept.

The Adventurer

Oh shit. Can't pass that price up.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

I, Cosh

Some hefty bargains available on Vertigo GNs at Comixology.

Including V for Vendetta and digital editions of the new, bumper-sized Hellblazer trades for £2.99 a pop. I traded up to the new edition of Original Sins with the missing Swamp Thing episodes and the first two post-Ennis volumes. Good chance I'll go back and get the 2nd and 4th as my bricks-and-mortar collection is missing a couple of issues from each. And there's obviously no way I could countenance a collection of anything which goes: 1, 2, _, 4.

So far I've read the Eddie Campbell story which comes immediately after Ennis run (and Delano's stinky-pinky one-off.) It was a lot better than I remembered, although maybe I'm mixing it up in my head with the Jenkins run. Getting John back out in the world and messing with different supernatural forces beyond the predominantly Christian mythological focus of the preceding 40 issues was definitely a good thing.

It also turned out to be where I got the "Eris-named-after-the-Goddess-of-confusion" schtick, which I used to mutter in relation to dwarf planets, from when I thought it had been Sandman.

I bought the first Jenkins storyline at the time but soon gave up. I'm looking forward to giving it another chance.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

No DRM-free back-ups, judging by the individual book pages. A pity. I'd have grabbed the entire Hellblazer run at those prices.

Fungus

Stickleback Number of the Beast trades @ £1.99, large pile of them at Glasgow FP. Had been on my to-buy list for a while, couldn't pass it up a couple of weeks ago at that price. Condition fine, not with the 2000ad trades but 'bargains'-or-whatever pile immediately opposite.

IndigoPrime

Madness at that price. That's a great find!

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 October, 2015, 03:08:10 PM
No DRM-free back-ups, judging by the individual book pages. A pity. I'd have grabbed the entire Hellblazer run at those prices.
Nope. Don't think there ever are for Marvel/DC stuff on there.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Well that's quite something. I could spend a small fortune there, but what to get, what to get... I reckon I can justify two completed series (and V, its astonishing how long it is since I read V)... cos ya know I don't own enough comics.

I'm pretty certain I'll go for Scalped as one of those. Always been intrigued by that, haven't read much Jason Aaron, but you hear such good things and well its always getting compared to The Sopranos which is still possibly the best telly show ever so yeah I think that gets one slot. The other... well I've got it down to...

DMZ - love The Massive and always been interested in this, never tried
Preacher - To this day still never read any of this and common understanding seems to suggest I really should
Sweet Tooth - Just love the idea, seems so wonderfully different, think this might be the front runner.

I think I should also be considering both 100 Bullets and Transmetropolitan as you hear such good things, but for whatever reason they just don't grab me as much as the others I've listed. So yeah any advice, suggestions, tips?

This just reminds me how much good stuff (apparently) came out during my wilderness years that I've still to check out.