Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Manga can be tricky like that. As the cultural differences come out in things like sex and violence most strongly.

To be fair this particular company publishes mostly older teen/adult products in North America.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

The Adventurer

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 May, 2016, 07:22:36 PM
People like Garth Ennis, right?

Humble Ennis Bundle

Must be good, must be good, must be good...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 May, 2016, 07:50:07 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 May, 2016, 07:22:36 PM
People like Garth Ennis, right?

Humble Ennis Bundle

Must be good, must be good, must be good...
Ennis's The Shadow is really rather good though...

IndigoPrime

That's an awful lot of The Boys. Any good? (I'm not a massive Ennis fan, but Preacher got a stay of execution on my bookshelves.)

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 May, 2016, 08:53:15 PM
That's an awful lot of The Boys. Any good?

It's as extreme as its gets for Ennis, so a hard one to recommend cold, but if it's pure adult entertainment you're after- yes, it's very good.
I didn't read it when it was published, but devoured every single trade in a very short time period (maybe about 3-4 weeks) two years ago. A roller-coaster ride of violence, satire and comedy with some excellent artwork to boot.
I'm sure most of us are already fans of the accomplished Robertson and McCrea, but it was Russ Braun's work that stood out for me in the later volumes.
Never has stomach churning violence looked so beautiful- he's an amazing artist.

This Humble Bundle looks like a goer for me- I've never read any of the Battlefield comics, and they're generally highly regarded.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 May, 2016, 10:02:53 PM
This Humble Bundle looks like a goer for me- I've never read any of the Battlefield comics, and they're generally highly regarded.

Certainly the ones available here are well, well worth it quite wonderful stuff.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 May, 2016, 10:10:16 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 11 May, 2016, 10:02:53 PM

Certainly the ones available here are well, well worth it quite wonderful stuff.

The clincher.

The Adventurer

As a rule, I don't like Garth Ennis. I generally find his brand of shock value writing to be more off putting then most. His way of tearing down 'superheroes' always felt like low hanging fruit to me.

That said, I tossed a buck at the bundle to get the first four Boys trades, just to get a taste. To be sure I wasn't just perpetuating old out of date prejudices against a creator. I figure its worth refreshing myself on why I don't like a creator periodically.

I DEVOURED the first two trades of The Boys. Its not, great, but its actually written kind of smart. And I kind of like the cast. There are the cheap eyerolling shock gags to be sure (Dog rape, 'Love Sausage', ugggggggggggg) but its not... terrible. I'll probably end up tossing another 16 bucks at it next week to get the whole run.

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 May, 2016, 08:53:15 PM
That's an awful lot of The Boys. Any good? (I'm not a massive Ennis fan, but Preacher got a stay of execution on my bookshelves.)
It's not great but it's probably worth reading once and you can't really go wrong when you're getting the whole run for a tenner.

I have (or have read: think I flogged The Boys to someone on here) everything in the bundle except The Shadow and I'm still thinking of getting it!
We never really die.

Echidna

Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 May, 2016, 11:33:35 PM
I tossed a buck at the bundle to get the first four Boys trades, just to get a taste [...] I'll probably end up tossing another 16 bucks at it next week to get the whole run.

That was my plan with the Kodansha bundle, but the picture quality was so bad I decided not to bother.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Echidna on 18 May, 2016, 08:12:29 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 May, 2016, 11:33:35 PM
I tossed a buck at the bundle to get the first four Boys trades, just to get a taste [...] I'll probably end up tossing another 16 bucks at it next week to get the whole run.

That was my plan with the Kodansha bundle, but the picture quality was so bad I decided not to bother.

A couple things about that.

The PDF and ePub files all look great, HD quality. For whatever reason a majority of the CBZ files were horrible and low res. No ideas why. But I say WAS because I personally sent their support an email about it, with comparison images showing how bad they were. And within a week they had improved the CBZ files to HD quality. So jump on that if you're still interested. Edit: crap, it's over now.

During the wait I discovered something interesting though about my comic eReader of choice, Chunky is ePub file friendly. They load up no problem, and don't have the page turn lag, or bloated file size problems that PDF seems to have.

At any rate the Ennis bundle has no issues, which isn't unexpected since Dynimite offers their comics as DRM-free already, so they've got CBZs figured out.

Echidna

Yeah, since posting that I've discovered the epub versions look pretty good. The CBZs seem to have been updated, but they're now enormous files (1.1 GB for Attack on Titan volume 1). The previous CBZs (and the PDFs, at least when I tried them) were utter garbage, like bad scanlations. It's a shame they didn't get it right to start with, but I guess I've saved money in the long run by not getting balls-deep into Attack on Titan and having to buy all 19 volumes!

The Adventurer

Quote from: Echidna on 18 May, 2016, 10:11:51 PM
Yeah, since posting that I've discovered the epub versions look pretty good. The CBZs seem to have been updated, but they're now enormous files (1.1 GB for Attack on Titan volume 1).

Yeah, I didn't have the heart to tell them, they kinda fucked that up.