Main Menu

When artsits who aren't suited to a particular story attack...

Started by Krustabi, 19 January, 2005, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krustabi

A number of people have commented that Jason Brashill really isn't suited to "After the Bombs". Can anyone think of similar occurences in t'history of Tooth and t'Meg?

Well?...

longmanshort

I don't think he's "not suited" to it, I think there just weren't enough panels on the page and not a lot of dialogue. If you look at the page with the car getting trapped by the judges, there's actually very, very, very little going on there. I have no doubt another artist could have done something a lot more crowded or atmospheric, but Jas is one of those artists I'm never going to object to seeing, no matter what the story ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

shazhughes

to me it looked like Jason Brashill had done a great couple of pages that would sell really well and it looked like they had been lavished with more attention than others that werent so appealing.

Tordelbach

While not a fan of Brashill's style of art in general, I actually thought the current run of Dredd's works very well indeed (only seen 1 and 2, mind).  Partly by way of much-needed contrast with the godlike Flint, partly because it's shiny, busy and does a good job of making a fairly simple prec-cog/police procedural tale rather exciting.

As I have posted elsewhere, the more serious mismatch problem at the mo is Pleece on 2ndCB.  

While he's obviously the co-creator of the strip and is a terrific artist on his own terms, I think he's profoundly unsuited to representing slamboard-the-sport as anything remotely exciting.  I just think that a more ..umm ... kinetic artist would work better.  Imagine a 2ndCB drawn by Jock, Yeowell or even Kennedy, all of whom could handle the grimy future Birmingham and the individua kid's looks and expressions as well as Pleece, but might also inject some speed, movement and just plain LIFE into the matches and teams.  

'Cos so far, it's not a bad little story.

paulvonscott

Not entirely my cup of tea, but with the new logo (ditto) Dredd has looked a very invigorated strip lately.

For me, the ultimate crime is a beautiful artist lumbered with a ghastly or vapid story.  It's such a shame.

With artists, if it doesn't work, I usually think it's down to the artist being on the wrong job.

Examples...

A whole graphic novel of Brian Bolland, probably hundreds of pages wasted on Camelot 3000. I mean, I'd rather have seen bolland do 10 different comics.

Carlsborg Expert.

i was looking at the old annual covers and even though i couldnt think of any one artist, off the top of my head, i wondered if there might have been a clerical error in deciding the 2000ad 87-91 cover artists.

Steve Green

It's a tricky one - I think most of the bad choices I've seen tended to be one-offs (usually on Dredd) where a big name would be brought in. (Sam Keith?).

I thought the choice of Simon Harrison on Strontium Dog jarred, but a change from years of Ezquerra was always going to be a little odd.

I'm just glad that the art is generally excellent after the fully painted trend of the 90s.

Thinking about it, it would be an interesting experiment as a one-off to see what two artists made of the same strip, in the vein of cover variants (though obviously a lot more expensive).

- Steve

Smiley

Covers aside, always felt the annuals themselves were just generally duff after a while. Thrown together as their priority diminished.

Anyhoo, Ron Smith's Robo-Hunter is by far the worst mismatch. I don't think that can be topped. (Or would that be bottomed?)

House of Usher

I don't think there's anything not well suited to the story about Jason Brashill's art on Judge Dredd.

I was really glad to see his work in 2000AD again, and I thought the graphic killings didn't lack any gravitas for being done in a style verging on cartooning.
STRIKE !!!

Oddboy

Thinking about it, it would be an interesting experiment as a one-off to see what two artists made of the same strip, in the vein of cover variants (though obviously a lot more expensive).

In which case - you should have a look at the Devlin Waugh: Red Tide book (when it comes out in February...) - as that's supposed to have Jock's version of the first episode, as well as the complete Colin MacNeil version.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Steve Green

Cool,

I remember them doing that with the Son of Mean Machine story. Are there any other stories which had more than one version of the same part?

Cheers

Steve

Oddboy

There were two versions of one episode of IIRC City of the Damned - but both by Steve Dillon. 2000AD lost his art for one episode, so he had to re-do it. Later on, they found it again & printed it as a curiousity feature many progs later. Not sure which prog that was in though.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Satanist

Last night I was trying to imagine Dredd drawn by Langley but couldnt really picture it. I dont think it would be great but it would certainly be something different.

Go on Tharg, give it a go
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tordelbach

Even speaking from the pro-Langley camp, I fear that his Dredd might include many, many photoshopped versions of the Lloyds and GLC buildings.  But I like to see him have a go!