Main Menu

Questions about 2000AD and Rebellion?

Started by brettcollins, 31 January, 2005, 06:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Krust - it was me that was stuck on the flying school. I eventually beat it after hours of practice!

Better set your phaser to stun.

GordonR

No, I've been stuck on the flying school for weeks.  Only managed to do two of them so far.

Moved onto playing Call of Duty instead.  You get to drive a T-34 in it!  Art would love it.

IndigoPrime

I bought the first Edge after the redesign, and have vowed to never waste my money on it again. It's so unbelievably humourless, and the journalism has been on the slide since the old team got booted. Erm, I mean "resigned".

The thing is, you can have decent journalism and humour, as evidenced by the likes of Zzap!64, Crash, Amiga Power, and Arcade (even games? makes a brave stab at this now and again), but it appears few readers really care about this these days. Also, it'd be nice if some of the mags dropped all the previews and news crap, and added some actual features once in a while, but hey-ho.

The whole industry seems to have forgotten it's aim is to entertain.

What we need is Kill! Kill! Gaming! Look out for it! Coming soon! Etc.

WoD

Crash! was my all time fave..

I'd be happier if the games magazines dropped the bloody DVDs or 'free' books they put on the covers, or at least do a version without that was cheaper.

At least with Edge I get something that I learn something from and it has more depth than the average mag.  I agree it's lost a little since the re-vamp.  Maybe I'll give games another look, this seemed to be more like Edge for the slightly more casual gamer, but I only picked it up once.  

On another note, do you tend to agree with the scores more in one mag than in another?  I tend to agree in the main with Edge, but the two other places I look at are Digitiser (pg 374 on C4 teletext) and then on gamespy.com.  Official magazines or ones with too many 'exclusives' are just pointless.

Krustabi

I generally flick through Edge's reviews in the shop, they're good, and this month they wrote an article on how Prnce of Persia should of changed the world, but didn't, which I liked.

Other than that ... zzz.

brettcollins

Thanks everyone for the help.  So is it possible for me to get the Rebellion trades from Amazon Dead Oddboy, even though I live in America.  I am just curious since I am starting to look for comics without spandex heroes in them.  I had heard a little bit about Rebellion and I have always been a fan of Sci-fi and horror, so I thought I might enjoy their comics.  Thanks again for all the help.

Oddboy

Well it should be possible... use www.amazon.co.uk rather than www.amazon.com - you'll probably have to pay more in p+p, but it should be possible - don't quote me on that though!

paulvonscott

"I had heard a little bit about Rebellion and I have always been a fan of Sci-fi and horror, so I thought I might enjoy their comics."

Brett 2000AD (and the Megazine) should be right up your street.  There have been two superhero stories in all of 2000AD's 27 year history, and both of those were very different from the usual superhero story.  The rest is all SF action weirdness and fun.  You should enjoy a lot of the TPB's.

Bad Company is a must!  And try Robohunter too.

WoD

Brett..sorry for hijacking the thread..hope you enjoy what you get...

Oddboy

2000AD is published weekly, and should be available in US comic shops - you might have to ask them to order it in though.

Alternatively, you can subscribe via this site - ?11.45 (sterling) per month outside of Europe. Might be worth signing up for a month & seeing if you like the current stuff - although you'll be coming in very late in the day for most of the stories.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?page=subscribe" target="_blank">Subscribe

brettcollins

So far I have gotten or have ordered almost all the tpbs through the DC deal.  I am just so glad that DC and 2000ad made that deal since there have been some pretty cool stuff so far.  Nikolai Dante has been my favorite one so far.  I was also pleasantly surprised by Robohunter.  I can not wait for Bad Company to come out.  I just heard from some people that the Rebellion side of things had some more cool stuff and I thought I would try to find out about some of it.  Also WoD it is perfectly okay, things like that are what make this board so fun to read.

Steve Green

The UK Games Industry has been pretty unsettled for the last year or so, a lot of the smaller companies went under or were bought out, and some of the larger companies have had problems as well (Argonaut for example)

I was working for Climax London, but our team got laid off at Christmas when the project was canned.

The trend seems to be to hire contactors rather than permanent staff so they can ramp up and down staff without worrying about redundancy payments etc. Salaries have remained pretty static (or decreased) in the past couple of years as the job market has changed. The weak dollar hasn't helped UK developers either.

It's not just the UK though, EA LA have laid off 60 people recently.

The next couple of years are going to be interesting - the next-gen consoles PS3/Xbox2 are going to require higher quality art which will be more expensive to produce. There's already talk of outsourcing art/creating art procedurally/an increase in game prices to cover this.

- Steve

Max Kon

things like that are what make this board so fun to read.

It does, thank Grud for that, I make this board fun (I like dragging threads offtopic)

Grant Goggans

Bad Company is most definitely out already, Brett!  It shipped on the 19th and I can't wait for time to sit and read it again.

If you'd like to know what's available and what's coming, you could do worse than my own little site...

--Grant

Link: http://www.2000ad.org/thrillpower/dc.html" target="_blank">Touched by the Hand of Tharg

shazhughes

#It does, thank Grud for that, I make this board fun (I like dragging threads offtopic)

#It does, thank Grud for that, I make this board fun (I like dragging threads offtopic)

you keep telling yourself that you hormonally charged young boarder, it?s a wonder your not a bigger hit with the ladies.