Main Menu

From 11 o’clock comics to Kapow to now

Started by templar, 21 December, 2012, 05:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

templar

Hi guys.

Yes it's another "hello I'm new here" topic. That's it exactly. I've been a Wednesday comics guy (Thursday early on) since 1999. I'm 34 and have lived just outside London all my life. For the last 4 years I've been an active member of the 11 o'clock comics podcast forum and have enjoyed the banter and recommendations there. In 2011 I went along to Kapow comicon and passed by the 2000AD booth. I picked up a prog and subscribed the following month.
This past year I've moved house and watching removal men carrying long box after long box of comics out of my house and into a van was a kind of intervention. I just don't have the space or the time to have that collectors mentality anymore. Will I ever read this issue again? If the answer is no then do I really need it and should I be getting it in the first place. So an iPad was bought in July and now 2000AD and the Megazine are the only paper comics I get now. The prog is ideal for taking to work and getting through an 8 page story during lunch. I use Comixology for about 5 remaining titles from the big two that I'm still enjoying but now it seems that the case files and the larger phone book 2000AD collections are filling my comics reading time.
So really that's me. Just saying hi and I hope to chat back and forth with you guys over the coming year.

Be Well

Matt Burden (Templar)

Colin YNWA

I salute your croppin' of your collection. In the last couple of years I've done similar. Though to be honest its not so much reduced the size as stablilized it. Still movement in the right direction.

Welcome aboard, have fun.

Dandontdare

Welcome Templar. I reckon I could do with a clear out but it's hard to part with anything.

maryanddavid

Howdo Templar, I salute your going digital, I fear its a leap I will never make, but I do feel its the future of this little corner of the publishing world (comics in general, not 2000ad specifically).
Then again an Ipad might help!

COMMANDO FORCES

Welcome aboard templar, it feels good to hold Thargs Mighty Organ in the palm of your hands each Wednesday, doesn't it :D

templar

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 22 December, 2012, 04:06:05 AM
Welcome aboard templar, it feels good to hold Thargs Mighty Organ in the palm of your hands each Wednesday, doesn't it :D

You're not wrong. I work every Saturday and 5:30pm marks the moment that I've driven home, opened the door, looked down and there on the mat is the comic that will see me through the week.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Marbles

Hi Templar,

I'm a fellow avid 11 o'clock listener so your name (& sometimes hilarious voice messages) are very familiar to me.

One thing that always frustrates me about 11 o'clock (& US comic podcasts in general) is their complete blindness when it comes to 2000AD. It feels almost willful. Even Vince and the boys very rarely actually mention and God forbid that they should ever download and read it. Ah well, rant over.

Welcome :).

Remember - dry hair is for squids

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Hawkmumbler

I do the same, 2000AD and the Meg in paperback as well as any toothy trade's I can lay my fingers on, a few other trades (Batman-Long Halloween ad such like) but besides that all comics are digital for me now.

vzzbux

Welcome.
A brave man to crop your collection.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Celtic Chief

Welcome!  I too am thinking of downsizing my collection and going phone book only.   If I am that keen to pick up something, it will be along in a few weeks...  For example, I have all of Bendis's Avengers run - been read once, never to see the light of day again. Collector mentality has went, and they have been sold to the local comic shop.