Main Menu

Hemel Explosion

Started by Conexus, 12 December, 2005, 01:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conexus

just really suprised a thread on this isn't up here yet
-there were no people killed, and luckly my brother who lives in Hemel wasn't injured, and my Dad who has been staying down there hasn't either, but he's helping a family friend who's flat has been a bit busted by the explosion.

I'm in Luton, and apparently people could hear the explosion from there, but i mananaged to sleep through it  

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051211/ap_on_re_eu/britain_explosion;_ylt=AjGb2T6GsOWNzHVPeZ8QFX.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b3JuZGZhBHNlYwM3MjE-" target="_blank">Yahoo news article

Queen Firey-Bou

glad your bro was okay.
i just popped in here to check for boards-eye accounts.  tis pretty insane stuff. theres the MP, every inch an ex-fireman ( hurrah !) in his demenor going on about the boys being trained for such things... er, ive been trained for terrorist attacks, haz-chems, plane crashes, biological terrorist attacks, etc, but i havent a bloody clue how to fight oil tank fires on that scale.
i expect there'll be a memo & training next week.

well good luck to em. shit it'll be fecking hot.

opaque

My friend Louise lives the other side of Hemel. I was really worried until I managed to find out where the depot actually was.
But she works right next to that oil depot. If it had been any other day I don't want to think of what it would have been like.

Mudcrab

Lobster Doug checks the news quickly before heading off to bed. 'Meh, let see what's in the news' he thinks. 'Hooooooly shit', he exclaims.

Bloody miracle no one was killed, bloody lucky it was that time of day. Must have been well scary for anyone within miles of the place. Good luck to everyone dealing with it, rather than reading about it half a day after it happened and posting silly comments (meaning me).

Ah, it takes me back to the time the Power Tower went up...
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Steve Green

There have been some mad photos of it - looks like Mordor in this shot.

- Stevehttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41109000/jpg/_41109474_hugesmokeafp.jpg">

Mudcrab

That's one amazing shot, horrific and beautiful at the same time. oooh, the composition, contrast etc etc...

That man Getty takes a lot of photos doesn't he?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Art

Stupid American news is leaping to rather unlikely conclusions about Al Queda all over the place... complex industrial plants do sometimes just explode without terrorists being involved you know...

The Amstor Computer

...although it does come fairly hard on the heels of Ayman al-Zawahiri's tape calling for attacks on oil facilities, so it's not surprising that "rolling news" shows put the two together to get mujahideen under the bed..

GordonR

"complex industrial plants do sometimes just explode without terrorists being involved you know..."

Well, that's a lot more reassuring...

Quirkafleeg

I'd have Al Queda would have the sense to blow it up during commuter hour on the Monday morning.

I blame Blake's 7... they were always infiltrating oil refineries and chemical plants (well that said they were Imperial bases but I wasn?t fooled)

LARF

Thing is, if it was a terrorist attack do you think they would tell us?

Conexus

um, yeah, otherwise, there'd be no point (for the terrists)

LARF

Ah, but that's what I mean.

Bad Andy

A friend of the girlfriend lives really close and I mean really close to this. All his friends and family were trying to get hold of him all day yesterday, efforts hampered by the fact he's one of these people who refuses to have a mobile phone.

He finally appeared at 6pm. Turned out he was evacuated from his knackered house in the morning and not thinking it was such a big deal buggered off to London for the day. When he finally found out exactly what happened he called someone. Dozy pratt.

The girlf actually used one of those hotlines that the police set-up and got a phone call back from the plods once he had been 'officially' located. I reckon his house might be a write-off though

Carlsborg Expert

The biggest industrial blaze britain and northern europe have had to face..