Main Menu

Semi Finals: 1 - Pat Mills or Alan Moore - Ultimate not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 June, 2020, 07:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oshii

Funt Solo

For every funny line from Mek-Quake there's someone having their face beaten to a pulp in an angry rant in Greysuit. For every "Credo!" there's a Gorehead. For every Slaine a Finn. For every genuine anti-establishment gripe there's a conspiracy theory that ultimately undermines any move towards a viable solution. It's oh so grand but oh so flawed.

On the other hand, there's the best comic writer in the world, and he's a wizard, with a suitable beard. And since when does volume count as a measure of quality? So, my vote goes to the Bearded Wizard / Dirty Frank / Alan Moore*.

*Feel free to count that as three votes if you wish.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Andy B

It's Pat Mills, and not because he created the comic. However brilliant Alan Moore was.... ABC Warriors, Nemesis, Slaine, Savage: this stuff is the distilled essence of 2000AD - it's just raw thrill power!

I don't think it's fair to mark Mills down for his later stuff not living up to his prime: that's even more true of Alan Moore: he's just not doing it in the Prog. On the current form of both, I'll take more Slaine any day!

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Buttonman on 21 June, 2020, 11:32:36 AM
Pat for being a 2000ad man for life, Moore just used it as a stepping stone.

This post changed my vote...although I prefer Skizz and Jones to many of Mills efforts, I'm voting Pat Mills. Judge Dredd the Cursed Earth was the first 2000ad story I ever read, thanks Pat!

Modern Panther

Sir Alan Moore

Pat Mills is clearly an iconic figure who's done some fantastic work, but I've always felt a lot of his stuff was just aimed at filling pages, or even actively poor.  Moore hasn't produced anything less than excellent for 2000AD.

AlexF

One of the first bits of 2000AD I remember was from  best of Monthly, I want to say issue 3? which reprinted a small part of Nemesis book 1. From that, I remember an invisible sworsdman named N'Kognito wearing weird leather straps and saying 'nourishment' when he drew blood.

This is how you win over hearts and minds.

My mind expanded, I fully expected such a genius creation to be a recurrign figure. But no, Mills just dashes off these side characters twice per episode and moves on.

PAT MILLS

Side question: if the Queen evered offered a knighthood to Messers Mills or Moore, who do you think would be more likely to accept?

Funt Solo

Quote from: AlexF on 21 June, 2020, 06:24:49 PM
Side question: if the Queen evered offered a knighthood to Messers Mills or Moore, who do you think would be more likely to accept?

Moore, but grudgingly. Later, he would reject it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 June, 2020, 06:33:19 PM

Also, Pat Mills has consistently taken an anti-authoritarian stance, and indeed has written 2000ad stories openly mocking the Royal Family. NOBODY would accept a knighthood after doing that.

... Oh, hang on.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 June, 2020, 06:33:19 PM

Well of course the Wizard of Northampton has contacted me, very politely and told me he doesn't want the Godpleton Cup should he win it either and if he does it will be presented to his artistic co-creators instead.

ZenArcade

Pat Mills for the first fifteen years on 2000ad was consistently brilliant. However since then, his work has become jaded and lacks the spark which made him the icon he is.
Alan Moore tore through the 2000ad firmament like a comet through the Yucatan peninsula. Moores stories in 2000ad brought it to a level rarely seen since (thank John Smith for most that was good afterwards). Moore essentially recreated comics....Alan Moore for my vote  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

I would be gobsmacked if either man accepted.

JOE SOAP

Apart form the likely ideological objection to the 'honours system', I think either man would laugh at something called Order of the British Empire.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

In some utopian future that will never be, would I rather read Halo Jones Book 4 or Slaine Book 15?
Or even in our present, would I rather reread the considerable 2000ad output of the wizard or of the founder?
It's Alan Moore. Every time.

Tomwe

In very much the same manner that I voted Grant over Moore in the first battle of the Alans, my heart goes to Pat. Moore had left the prog by the time I began reading and although I know his thrills are considered some if not the best I just find Slaine, classic ABC Warriors and other Millsverse to float my boat more broadly. So Pat Mills it is.

Bolt-01