Main Menu

Judge Dredd Megazine Files

Started by Mark Taylor, 22 June, 2009, 10:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Mike Gloady

We'll just stay here and try to ignore the noise from the neighbours arguing about who had sex with who's ipod.  *tut tut tut*  Lovely tea and cakes are the way forward.  I tried to pour oil on troubled canada geese over there with my baking, but to no avail.  At least we all enjoy a good omnomnom over here. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

digitalworlds

Ok well maybe to say I was 'VERY ANGRY' was a little over the top but I am quite pee'd off if Im honest and I'm afraid Dark Jimbo you can't take that away from me. Ive read hundreds of 2000AD progs and hundreds of Megazines and when I saw 'The Complete Judge Dredd Case Files Vol 1' I thought wow thats great idea and to quote from the pack cover:

"Now you can re-discover the roots of this legendary character in this vast and Thrill-packed series of graphic novels collecting together all of Dredd's adventures in chronological order, complete and uncut!"

As I'm sure many can agree when something is described as "Complete and Uncut" you wouldn't expect after spending £181.87 (13x£13.99) for the cases to be 'incomplete and cut' which is clearly what is being considered here. Again I must draw attension to the fact that Rebellion has never made it clear that the material will only be from the pages of 2000AD.

A definition of false advertising is:

"(i)the use of false or misleading statements in advertising. As advertising has the potential to persuade people into commercial transactions that they might otherwise avoid" Another important element of this would be truth labelling which dictates: "(ii)Truth in labeling refers to essentially the same concept, that customers have the right to know what they are buying, and that all necessary information should be on the label of said product".

Im my opinion neither of these rules have been followed (i) the book states complete adventures/cases of Dredd and (ii) it does not provide the appropriate truth labelling explaining it might only contain the material from the progs.

Technically I think this is false advertising, is it serious enough to take further? hell no! but Its still really annoying and I for one will be sticking my books for sale on ebay/amazon the moment a wrong decision is made. I want the complete cases thats why I started buying it.

I wouldnt buy a can of coke and be happy if I got Pepsi inside I want whats on this tin.

Maybe they didn't think they would be this popular. Maybe rebellion didnt have anyone that actually looked 2-3 years ahead and thought 'how are we going to fit all those colour pages in and still make a profit with such massive volumes'.

These books aren't really for kids they are for die hard DREDD fans with cash to spend who want to re-live they're youth reading DREDD. I want it complete and I want it in one volume and I have a feeling most people do and thats why they started buying it in the first place.

James Stacey

But if it was 'complete and uncut' does that mean it has to include all the 'Heavy Metal Dredd's then cos some of those were gash. What about stories like America that feature Dredd but aren't actually Dredd stories? What about the 'Lawman of the Future' stuff ? Where does it end ? Zarjaz Dredd, it's not in 2000ad but its published.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: James S on 03 August, 2009, 07:58:59 PM
Where does it end ?

DC Dredd? Annuals? Sci-Fi Specials? Yearbooks? Daily Star strips? Metro strips? Other stuff Dredd appeared in? Red Razors II? Lenny Zero? The epic adventure I drew on the back of my school exercise books when I was twelve?

Yes, to be honest, I can kind of see why you're a bit nobbed off, but clearly there is going to have to be some kind of editorial process to decide what goes in and what doesn't. At that point -- unless you're seriously suggesting that everything be printed -- it's just a question of whether you agree with where the line has been drawn.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Leigh S

The time to notice it wasnt complete was really when teh special stories werent all appearing, so about case files 1....

Having said that, I understand your frustration to some degree, as for my money, if the Daily Star Dredds ahd made their way in (or been published as standalone but still cAsefiles) I'd ahve bought them like a shot.  Though to balance that, i'd personally ahve loved a complete "Mills(for those early important stories)/Wagner/Grant wherever it appeared" approach, if only so you could appreciate that stripped of the Morrison/Millar stuff, Dredd has always ahd something to offer, even through the darkest days. I'd much much rather read the MEgazine Dredds collected than the 2000AD strips that were running at the same time

planetoid

Ideally I would like to see the remaining Wagner/Grant Daily Star material reprinted in the Meg - as part of a graphic novel. The Meg did reprint quite a lot of Daily Star in the late 1990s but I wouldn't mind seeing some of that or any remaining DS Dredds getting the graphic novel treatment.  :)

As a long term reader of the Dredd Meg, I have all issues, I'm not a fan of seeing Meg stuff reprinted. I've got Armitage, I've got next month's Harmony graphic novel so I'd rather see non-Meg material as graphic novel content. However, I'm sure percentage of Meg readers have not collected from issue one, way back in 1990!

Jim_Campbell

Sorry, James S ... I've noticed that I've quoted you and then implied that you were also the one that was nobbed off about the Case Files. You may -- or may not -- be but that wasn't the point you were making. Apologies for the unintentional misrepresentation.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

planetoid

I'm slightly surprised Rebellion have never released a Daily Star Dredd graphic novel. Assuming there's no legal problems reprinting the material, it would be nice to see the early Ron Smith/Ian Gibson Wagner/Grant Daily Stars in graphic novel format (preferably in their correct order). I'm sure many fans would buy it and any subsequent volumes.

Rio De Fideldo

This really is the new what will 2000ad be called in the year 2000 topic isn't it.

Leigh S

yeah - same here.. its basically a massive source of often unreprinted, unobtainable classic era Wagner Grant material.  If i want 2000aD strips, i can buy the old progs, or the monthly collection thing from the early 90s, or the Titan books... if i want those Daily Star Dredds... i'm stuffed. Its like the missing Doctor who episodes, only they arent as missing as those, and could conceivably be retrieved from purgatory by the right person.

Now presumably, I may be stuffed as a punter if i want to access the Daily Star strips, but all those Stars are archived Im sure, and you'd hope Rebellion would ahve the ability to pull a few strings to get those archives. As a bonus, they can perve on all the 80s Star Stunnas whilst "collating the valuable archive"....

COMMANDO FORCES

The Daily Star strips were collected a long time ago in the following volumes.
By the way The Mega Collection is a hardback and your best way to read these is to visit my Cellar of Dredd ;)

satchmo

There are another 2000 episodes after that not collected unfortunately!
If I win the lottery I'm hiring someone to go to the archives and photocopy them all.

Tjm86

ah well, no one said anything about Bakewell tart!  Sold! :P

James Stacey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 August, 2009, 11:32:42 PM
Sorry, James S ... I've noticed that I've quoted you and then implied that you were also the one that was nobbed off about the Case Files. You may -- or may not -- be but that wasn't the point you were making. Apologies for the unintentional misrepresentation.

Cheers!

Jim
Not to worry, I hadn't noticed till you drew attention to it. Personally, no I'm not nobbed off, I'm looking forward to (re)reading what ever comes out in the complete case files (and getting the Anderson ones when they come out too) Lots of quality material that even looks good on the shelf. My only real gripe with the casefiles is they started printing colour strips in greyscale. I I appreciate the change of paper needed but I'd rather have seen them colour on the lower grade paper than no colour.
Oh and despite having the majority of the books CF mentions you can add my voice to the DS Dredds getting collected. The Ian Gibson ones printed years ago in the Meg were a joy to read.