Main Menu

Flintlocks

Started by Delingpole, 24 July, 2009, 03:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

Welcome to the board Richard. Excellent first post. A good point, well made.

Don't even get me started about square profile tyres on Lawmasters.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Well done Mr. Delingpole hopefully you will stick around.

Peter Wolf

Hi !

Good job that gun wasnt loaded.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Delingpole

Aw shucks! You guys! I knew anorakism would have one or two of you stroking your chins and nodding, but I didn't expect to be made so welcome.

Thanks a lot.

On the point of the Nikolai Dante Crazy Futuristic Flintlock type thing - I realise that it doesn't function as a C18 / C19 Flintlock, but I firmly believe that if, as an artist, you're going to use the visual references, you need to know exactly what it is you are "quoting".

I love the sound of the other quibbles you've all been having, like the square profile on the lawmaster wheels. I was always really wound up by a cutaway diagram of the early lawgiver (in an annual I think) which showed little levers along the inside of the barrel. Like that's going to help!

But thank you all for the warm welcome. I shall certainly stick around.

Richmond Clements

QuoteI was always really wound up by a cutaway diagram of the early lawgiver (in an annual I think) which showed little levers along the inside of the barrel. Like that's going to help!

Ohhh... tell us more!
And just wait until you read Commando Forces' regular destructions of every apperance by a soldier ever on any drama show or film..

Delingpole

I've found the very cutaway! It's worse than I remember. Just how much crap can you have down a barrel?

Mike Gloady

HOW did I never spot the (usually) square profile Lawmaster tyres before?

Idiot!  *slaps forehead*

Although frankly, especially the way the vintage artists drew it, you'd kill yourself trying to turn a corner on that thing. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

COMMANDO FORCES

Just found this post and I love it, are we related?
This is what makes the forum so great, dedicated nit pickers who love to rip apart the minutia of everything around us.
By the way a belated welcome to the board from me.

P.S. I would have got my second shot off a lot quicker than you, as my flint would have stayed in place ;)

Proudhuff

With that for a first post, we're expecting a high level of pedentry and at least one hissy fit, you'll fit right in here, welcome dear boy, welcome.
DDT did a job on me

Delingpole

Hello Commando Forces and Proudhuff. (A month on I just noticed this thread had resurfaced).

I've been made to feel very welcome and it's been a steep learning curve on this site.

I've found that if you actually know what you're talking about you're okay, but if you just dislike the current Armitage storyline and artwork you've got to be prepared to be met with fierce opposition

I've learned that nothing is loved by everyone or hated by everyone and that the general level of intelligence displayed is very high.
I find the same level of anorakism on the "Flames of War" website (the brand of WWII Wargame I do) and within the better elements of re-enactment. I've always been a stickler (to quote Chief Judge Cal) and hopefully set as high standards for myself as I do for those who provide the products I buy.

SmallBlueThing

Already I like this gent. Magnificent first post, sir! I confess to having no knowledge whatsoever regarding ancient weaponary (or sheets and sails, come to that)- but it was fascinating. Art droids, get yer bloody stuff right, there's always someone watching!

And splendid bumpage, to whoever threw this into my 'Active Topics' file.

Welcome to the board- have immense fun.

SBT

Proudhuff

Ifyou want to see Flintlock this should sort you out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0F3S9ZG7E
DDT did a job on me

Delingpole

I've just realised that I used "it's" incorrectly on this post. I only went back to check when I noticed that someone had said my punctuation was quite good. And I thought "QUITE good?" and went to see why I was being damned with faint praise.

I feel a little bit sad about this slip up and intend to eat a Wispa Gold to make myself feel better.

mogzilla

Quote from: Delingpole on 24 July, 2009, 03:30:13 PM
Hello Tharg, hello members of the 2000AD online community.
I'm 42, have been reading 2000AD since I was 12, I am a loyal subscriber, my wife and kids all read and love 2000AD. So this criticism comes from the heart and is intended to be helpful:

There are now 3 stories (Defoe, Red Seas, Nikolai Dante) which regularly feature flintlock muskets or variations of, and none of the artists are getting the mechanism quite right.

As a Napoleonic re-enactor I'm regularly firing a Brown Bess and it's French counterpart, the Charleville. The most common mistake the artists seem to make is in the flint itself. It is either completely absent (see attached Defoe cover of prog. 1640 where Damned(?) frizen is open and he has no flint in the jaws) or is a shapeless blob deep within the jaws of the hammer as appeared in a recent Red Seas.

I don't suppose it makes much difference to most readers but I'm sure the artists would like to get it right, and are presumably working from web images from museums which would not necessarily display guns with flints in.

I've put a short video on Youtube to show how the mechanism actually works.
I've also got some still pictures to show the three positions the hammer can be in relation to the frizzen, but I've got nowhere to upload them to except Facebooks so I don't know how to link them.

This is the You tube link. And yes, the flint falls out. But I couldn't be bothered to get my 11 year old daughter to re-film it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXpLk6ihflo

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work.

Richard Delingpole
Worcester
geek! (in the nicest possible way) you didnt write to the tv times once telling them off cos sharpe had the strap or something or other on the wrong shoulder are ye? welcome to the jungle my friend!

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++