Main Menu

Judge Dredd Complete Case Files Volume 20

Started by The Bissler, 23 June, 2012, 11:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klute

Quote from: a chosen rider on 16 July, 2012, 07:52:43 PM
It's still apparently available from the official shop, unless that just hasn't been updated.

At the time i was after it i don't remember if being available from the shop which in all honesty is where i would have bought it from,alas i had a stroke of luck regarding my CF collection to didn't need to hunt it down
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

radiator

Still no news on CF20 - but there is a reprint of Origins due - perhaps Rebellion are prioritising reprinting existing books over new volumes of the Case Files?

klute

Quote from: radiator on 16 July, 2012, 08:05:59 PM
Still no news on CF20 - but there is a reprint of Origins due - perhaps Rebellion are prioritising reprinting existing books over new volumes of the Case Files?

Not sure. I have been a little worried about the lack of news regarding CF20 but you know what they say sometimes no news is good news........

Mark Taylor

Yeah, case files 20 should really be in the works. I understand that Rebellion will make their decisions on a commercial basis (i.e. what makes them money) but I do think if they cancel the case files series it will really be a kick in the teeth to all those fans who have collected the whole series thus far. I also cannot see how it would make sense commercially speaking. Given all of the stories that have already have trades what other existing stories are there left for them to put out, besides perhaps Wilderlands (which should appear in Case Files 22 assuming the series continues)?

They would have to resort to bringing out just new stuff plus a bunch of 'themed collections' and I can't see those doing as well as the Case Files series.

Leigh S

There are 3 copies of CF 3 in Nostalgia and Comics - didnt check any other Birmingham book shops, but I suspect it isnt as rare as Amazon would ahve you believe.

Richard

I wouldn't read anything into the lack of news on 20, 19 has only just come out and Restricted Files 4 is due next. Relax.

Mark Taylor

Yeah sorry if I come across as a raving paranoid about this. I got burned back in 2008/9 when Image decided just to stop the Spawn Collection volumes, literally just two volumes shy of plugging the remaining gap before The Armageddon Collection. It still makes me mad when I see these trades on my bookshelf. I understand decisions have to be made on a commercial basis in any business publishers do stuff like this it hits the most loyal fans - the ones who have religiously collected every volume on release - the hardest.

For some people out there it's a significant outlay of cash, because they have very little in the first place and they choose to spend it on something they anticipate will bring them enjoyment. Imagine you've hired a builder to build you a house, only to be told half way through that bricks have become too expensive so they can't finish it - but don't worry because we can just pop a roof on the ground floor and call it a bungalow. You'll still be able to fully enjoy half of the rooms you envisaged having at the start, so no harm done, right?

HdE

I wouldn't say you come off as paranoid, Mark. After all, as your post eloquently demonstrates, this sort of thing does happen.

I've always wondered about teh case files format - I mean, I think it has ENORMOUS mileage and longevity built into it. We've seen it work very nicely with other material, like Strontium Dog and Nemesis The Warlock. And I STILL would love to see Nikolai Dante collected in that fashion. But given how much has been made of the issue of print costs, I also wonder how viable and profitable it would be long term, and if the model is sustainable.

Hopefully, it is. Personally, I've only been picking up the odd volume here and there as funds permit. I tend to focus more on the floppy GNs where I can get a whole condensed story arc. But I decided I really DO need to pick up these larger editions.

Hopefully they'll still be around for me to pick up when I can find the cash reserves for 'em - which might equate to one book per month.

I'm sure there must be other folks picking up the odd isolated volume here and there.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

SmallBlueThing

While ive bought 1 to 18, i confess to not yet having got 19. The high price point combined with the quality of the stories have put me off. When they started, in black and white, the case files were ridiculously good value for money, and while i know the page count hasnt fallen at all, them being visibly slimmer, more expensive and heavier on the shelf has been a sticking point.

I will buy 19- maybe today, as i have the money at the moment- but i do wonder if ever-increasing costs in the current climate are going to render these a desirable, but ultimately unfeasible collection, and whether by the time they get to vol 25 everything will be mostly digital anyway?
Hope not, as i really want them as physical editions. Is there a bookshelf strong enough, though?

SBT

klute

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 July, 2012, 01:33:23 PM
While ive bought 1 to 18, i confess to not yet having got 19. The high price point combined with the quality of the stories have put me off. When they started, in black and white, the case files were ridiculously good value for money, and while i know the page count hasnt fallen at all, them being visibly slimmer, more expensive and heavier on the shelf has been a sticking point.

I will buy 19- maybe today, as i have the money at the moment- but i do wonder if ever-increasing costs in the current climate are going to render these a desirable, but ultimately unfeasible collection, and whether by the time they get to vol 25 everything will be mostly digital anyway?
Hope not, as i really want them as physical editions. Is there a bookshelf strong enough, though?

SBT

Yeah whilst i see the advantages of digital over physical copies i'm all for physical myself.

Is it not feasible for the company to maybe work on a print to order IE people preorder the book and then print just what is needed,till such a time they can overstock? looking at what i've typed it sounds silly but i'd rather that than not get the choice.

But the future is the unknown and rebellion has no real idea of new fan numbers as well as older fans yet to buy anything

The Bissler

@Mark: Don't think you sound like you are raving or paranoid - we're all just very keen to see further editions of the case files!  I can totally understand why you might be anxious about this after having been burned by the Spawn graphic novels.  And buying 19 graphic novels is a significant outlay of cash for most people, I think we'd all be gutted if the series was discontinued, although I'd be more upset about not getting the chance to read everything I've missed since the early 90's...
As a fan who has been loving the opportunity to read every Dredd story, I'm just very keen to learn when the next edition is due out (hopefully soon)! 

Skullmo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 July, 2012, 01:33:23 PM

SBT

I would really recommend 19. The art is gorgeous in it. Some of the stories are actually very good (the Garth Ennis and Wagner ones). And Inferno is . . . funny, in the same way that watching clips of the old Dredd movie is now funny rather than being really annoying.

I just wished they had given Carlos and Ron Smith some great scripts to work on as they were top of their game eher and its a bit of a waste!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Quote from: The Bissler on 25 July, 2012, 09:49:20 AM
@Mark: Don't think you sound like you are raving or paranoid - we're all just very keen to see further editions of the case files!  I can totally understand why you might be anxious about this after having been burned by the Spawn graphic novels.  And buying 19 graphic novels is a significant outlay of cash for most people, I think we'd all be gutted if the series was discontinued, although I'd be more upset about not getting the chance to read everything I've missed since the early 90's...
As a fan who has been loving the opportunity to read every Dredd story, I'm just very keen to learn when the next edition is due out (hopefully soon)!

I second this opinion!
It's a joke. I was joking.

IndigoPrime

I agree people would be gutted if the Case Files were canned, but has there ever been any indication this is going to happen? As I recall, CF19 was widely distributed and sold well, and the Dredd CFs are among Rebellion's top-selling trades. Judging by the schedule, it's more likely that what we're seeing is a reaction to the current economic climate (i.e. release fewer books because people have less money) combined with rising prices (of paper and ink, but also more books going full-colour, thereby requiring higher production values) and reissue demands (in part dealt with by using the US line for UK release).

Frankly, I'll be amazed if we don't see CF20 announced or even available sometime between winter 2012 and spring 2013.

HdE

Y'know, just so long as we keep gettin' 'em so I can keep buyin' 'em, I'll be happy.

By the way - my copy of Case Files vol 3 arrived at teh weekend. I can't get over what a thing of absolute beauty it is!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/