Main Menu

Where dust goes to gather...

Started by Trout, 18 September, 2007, 02:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Heh. After buying transformers as a kid, (then reluctantly giving them away, cos I was 'too old') I bought a couple of the Masterpiece figures* recently. Paid way to much for a Hasbro Optimus MP-10. (MP-44, is the latest, but that one is ridiculously expensive and I wasn't keen on the paint job.) Thankfully I paid much less for a second hand Tamara MP Sideswipe (sorry 'Lambor'), although probably too much for second hand.

Pretty nice looking figures with decent engineering. Worth it? Not really, I can see some design issues. (Sideswipe seems to want to come apart in robot mode. Unless I transformed it wrong,) and Optimus has minor issues. For the money I think they should be much better...

... yet I'm glad to have them. Prime in particular is a monster size compared to the G1 toy I had as a child, although I ironically prefer the metallic paint job of the older figure. I love the fact he has a back now, though, rather than having a huge gaping hole into the cab, like the original. The articulation on these MPs is pretty decent compared to the originals too, although that's not saying much.

I won't be collecting them all. Probably just one or two (or three or four. Yes I know. I'm so sad.) more, if that. Eyeing am MP-36 Megatron next, (or a movie Bumblebee. He's one movie range figure that looks really good, although I'm largely sticking G1 otherwise) but if I do, it would need to be a good deal, Great looking figure from the front, but the kibble on the back is atrocious!

Oh, and the sheer amount of Knock -offs on eBay is shocking! It's hard to tell which is original sometimes. Tempting too, as they're often nice quality at half the price, but I want to keep them original. I see boxless Takara Megs on eBay that are supposedly original, at a much reduced price, but how do I know these sellers aren't fibbing?

* kind of fooled myself into thinking 'the MP range are adult collector figures at that price, so okay to buy. Yes, I'm a fool, but they are quite nice. Thankfully, they don't seem to lose value all that much as production is limited, so I might even make money back if I ever decided to sell. (Not that I'm considering that yet.) Assuming I don't damage them.

Mardroid

Bringing it back to 2000AD, I see a face off between an axe wielding Optimus Prime and Mongrol in the  future. (In a posed figures display kind of way, I mean, not a playing "take that!" "Mongrol Smush!" Click! Click! Kind of way. Honest. Their size is comparable, although they're not to scale. If they were, I think Mongrol would be far smaller.  We think of ABC Warriors as giant robots, but they seem quite small compared to Transformers. Even Mongrol. I think only Mek-Quake in kill-dozer mode would compare.

Hawkmumbler

I doubt i'll bother with the Masterpiece line, too big, too expensive, too much like a collectors piece than just some fun to liven up the work space in my flat. The Generations line are more in my ball park, cheaper but still impressive little toys for what they are and appealing to a certain bit of nostalgic jpy. God knows the world meeds that right now.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 April, 2019, 03:48:04 AM
Bringing it back to 2000AD, I see a face off between an axe wielding Optimus Prime and Mongrol in the  future. (In a posed figures display kind of way, I mean, not a playing "take that!" "Mongrol Smush!" Click! Click! Kind of way. Honest. Their size is comparable, although they're not to scale. If they were, I think Mongrol would be far smaller.  We think of ABC Warriors as giant robots, but they seem quite small compared to Transformers. Even Mongrol. I think only Mek-Quake in kill-dozer mode would compare.

You'd have to compare the Transformers to the Terra-Meks, Charlie and George, wouldn't you?  (I was never into Transformers, so don't know how they fare in the big robots stakes - other than Optimus Prime who I know is the size of an artic).

Hawkmumbler

The smallest fully grown Cybertronians, like Nickel are about 3-4ft tall, so about the size of Ro-Jaws. The largest are the colossal city sized Titans, like Metroplex and Trypticon, which are far far larger than anything in the Millsverse. Optimus sit's somewhere between the 30-50ft tall mark, so towers over most ABC warriors. Even the smaller than average Autobots/Decepticons like Tailgate or Rumble would still be about the size of Hammerstein.

Tomwe

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 April, 2019, 03:48:04 AM

closest I've come to this in an illustration

Mardroid

Mardroid

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 05 April, 2019, 10:52:39 AM
I doubt i'll bother with the Masterpiece line, too big, too expensive, too much like a collectors piece than just some fun to liven up the work space in my flat. The Generations line are more in my ball park, cheaper but still impressive little toys for what they are and appealing to a certain bit of nostalgic jpy. God knows the world meeds that right now.

Fair enough. I was slightly shocked at the size of Optimus when he arrived. I did read the descriptions before buying, but it doesn't quite do it justice. And the mp36 is smaller than the first MP version!

I found myself hankering for the G1 size, (or something in between) but with the quality of MP, if that makes sense. At least the size made me feel like I was getting more of my money's worth. Heh.

Sideswipe is to scale with Optimus, and as a far smaller character is actually a pretty nice size. So I guess your average sized mp isn't so big, but in scale certain characters just dwarf the others.

And I believe the MP Shockwaves are on the bigger side of things. Old Mongrol would be about two thirds his height at least I'd think, if not half. (Difficult to tell with Mongrol, as he is one of the larger Warriors, but he stoops a lot. Also his scale does seem to change a bit from comic, to comic.)

I looked at the Generations line. Yes they look very nice.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 April, 2019, 10:58:37 PM
I've caught the Transformers figures bug.

Haven't got the bug, but do have two Transformers on my display shelf:

- Soundwave (w/ Lazerbeak & Ravage) 'G1 Re-issue'. Personal favorite from my childhood, the original was lost forever when some scrote broke into my Dad's car in the late 80's (thinking it was an actual tape player).
- Galvatron (w/ Nucleon) 'Titans Return'. Looks much closer to the animated version than the G1 version I had as a kid. Gotta love that huge arm cannon.

IndigoPrime

I was very tempted to buy the Soundwave Masterpiece when it hit the UK, but (intentionally) delayed until it was sold out. My wallet was happy about that. But then I've tons of Zoids here that I've never put together or that have gathered dust, and so didn't really need more stompy robots. I do keep checking local second-hand listings, mind...

SIP

I've got a fairly large collection of G1 transformers and can absolutely recommend the masterpiece figures. The MP10 optimus is pretty much a perfect rendition of a G1 meets Transformers:the movie optimus prime. Must pick up the equivalent Megatron at some point.

The soundwave is a great figure, but yes....quite expensive now.

Proudhuff

We need pics! It's not just what you've got but how it's displayed and traps the dust  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

We need pics! It's not just what you've got but how it's displayed and traps the dust  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

'Sobbing' This won't be a problem. IT WONT BE A PROBLEM.
Titans Return:
-Nightbeat
-Skytread
-Overboard
-Hot Rod
-Twinferno
-Quake
-Triggerhappy
Power of the Primes:
-Bludgeon
-Skullgrin
-Hun-Gurrr