Main Menu

I think back issue Prog prices have gone up

Started by matty_ae, 22 July, 2017, 07:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

Just an observations but I think the 40th Anniversary and the newly announced Dredd TV series have led to progs increasing in value.

I'm mainly referring to the 1 - 300 range but the days of people willing to offload anything serious in the range for beans seem to be over.

The Judge Anderson / Bolland issues 149 - 151 have gone sky high and the Dark Judges storyline are in growth.

So if you've sat on a pile, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Colin YNWA

Thing is though these's a world of difference between asking those prices and someone paying them. There's some silly money being asked for.

Still be interesting to see if this gets any traction.

matty_ae

Not saying anyone's retiring but these do look on the up...

Colin YNWA

Bloomin' heck I had a look after you posted but it was all buy it now stuff and not bids auctions. Take it back seems some people are paying the silly money.

matty_ae

In my LCS they say the Bronze Age is the new Silver age. So people are buying first appearances of Venom and x23. Just seems that maybe first appearances of Judge Death and Anderson also fit into that category.

Interesting thing here is prog 150 might have sold 100,000 here but how many of them realistically reached the States? Not many.

sheridan

Quote from: matty_ae on 22 July, 2017, 11:54:10 PM
In my LCS they say the Bronze Age is the new Silver age. So people are buying first appearances of Venom and x23. Just seems that maybe first appearances of Judge Death and Anderson also fit into that category.

Interesting thing here is prog 150 might have sold 100,000 here but how many of them realistically reached the States? Not many.

I wonder how many of the early progs made it out of the 1980s, never mind to other countries...

The Adventurer

I recall the few I have (around the 500s) appeared to be mostly printed on news print about one grade removed from toilet paper.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

matty_ae

They early progs (sub 519) were all printed on 300gsm cartridge paper,
It was only the strength of the thrill power that so weakened the parchment.
This explains why some 90s progs still look as good as new.

Tharg impression over - yup bog roll!

Tjm86

The other one I've noticed is the asking price on signed comics.  Quite a few recently listed at closer to £50 than a tenner.  I reckon my collection of FCBD's courtesy of Eamonn must be appreciating nicely.  Dread to think what I might get for my signed Dillon prog (or more importantly, the wife finding out!).

PS, Matty, I guess those progs you had off me the other week must be looking like you took me to the cleaners now.   ;)

matty_ae

Yes mate.
They've all gone off to the binders who will trim and stitch them together making them very readable but utterly worthless!
I've never been a businessman

Tjm86

Hey, I'm just glad they went to a good home.  Also makes up for that wasted 227 you had off me last year (or earlier this year, can't remember)

TordelBack

In the words of the Bard, oh I wish I'd looked after me Tooths.

sheridan

Quote from: matty_ae on 23 July, 2017, 06:49:24 AM
They early progs (sub 519) were all printed on 300gsm cartridge paper,
It was only the strength of the thrill power that so weakened the parchment.
This explains why some 90s progs still look as good as new.

Tharg impression over - yup bog roll!

And I thought it was because the ones from the 70s and 80s were read and re-read countless times while the ones from the 90s weren't so much...