Main Menu

The Dictators of Zrag

Started by Wake, 27 February, 2002, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

The Dictators of Zrag must have infiltrated our web hosting company, since they took it upon themselves to pull the plug on our database without any warning, nor notification. The first time Barny contacted them he was told it was a fault which was being fixed. It was only much later he asked for an update and was told that the action had been deliberate, because we were using the database too much! ...not that we have ever been told about a limit, not even a measure of how much we are using the facility.

Since Mek-Quake is too big to fit in a mail sack, I think we're going to have to send Tharg over to the USA based company to deal out some Rigellian Hotshots on this one.

Wake

Mudcrab

WHAT??? That's ridiculous!!! Americans, bloody typical.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

paulvonscott

Can we give Rex a chance to find shelter before we send over a Rigellian Hotshot that can be measured in Megatons?

Seriously, that is pants.  I've never seen more than fourty people using the site at once.

Pants!

Wake

I think the "problem" is that every page load accesses the database several times:

1) If you are signed in to check your clearance.
2) For the dynamic location links (several times)
3) To select the banner in the footer
4) To update your current position (used by the who's where script)

That's not including any accesses due to the content of a given page. For example, the most recent prog profile page will have around 4 accesses each to the progs, thrills, characters, and votes tables plus 16 to the droids table.

I guess it all adds up, but the philosophy behind the site was to stick as much of the content into the mysql tables as possible.

Wake

Rex Gambill

Yes please! I think one of my neighbors has one of those Cold-War-era bomb shelters in his back yard...

Pants indeed!

Anemic_Newt

"Seriously, that is pants.  I've never seen more than fourty people using the site at once."
Wow - at 4.15pm on the anniversary - 28th Feb 2002 there are currently 98 people on the site - Sheesh!