Main Menu

Thill power ratings

Started by Rex Gambill, 22 March, 2002, 04:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Gambill

Wake,
I noticed that for each prog that has a ranking, there is a thrill power rating. Is there a ranking of the top 50 or so progs based on thrill power somewhere on the site? Would that be interesting? Makes you wonder, what single prog is the most thrill-powered of all time? If there's not enough votes to tell, perhaps some more readers would be moved to vote, knowing that such a statistic might be forthcoming.

Mudcrab

Hmm, I doubt it somehow, unless we all spend several days scoring 1200 progs!!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Wake

That Thrillpower rating is for the cover, not the whole prog.

There is a page in waiting. Follow the link for a sneak preview.

Link: Top 20 Covers

Rex Gambill

I can see the rankings are centered on recent progs' covers...I'm not sure fans think most of the best 20 covers have been in the past two years. Thus revealing the flaw in my request...unless people rank the back progs as well as the current ones, the rankings will always skew toward the newer progs.

Perhaps progs could be ranked overall, by totalling the scores of the thrills within, and the cover, and coming to an average?

roystead

Aha - Rex puts his finger on the fundamental flaw of all this user-ratings stuff on the web: a definite bias towards the more recent, since that's what kiddie-boppers (hmmmm....new word?) have seen most recently and hence tend to vote on in greater numbers.

For instance, consider the IMDB's top 250 movies of all time (link below). Now, is the recent "Lord of the Rings" movie *really* the second best movie of all time? (rhetorical)

Roy

Link: http://us.imdb.com/top_250_films" target="_blank">IMdB Top 250 Movies of All Time