Main Menu

Meg 424 - Thirty Megnificent Years

Started by jrdd, 13 September, 2020, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I also got last month's card. I also got three or four copies of it last month!

IndigoPrime

Hopefully we'll get two cover cards next issue.

Magnetica

MacabreMagpie

2000AD's twits account has replied to someone that they're investigating with the printer what went wrong RE: the cover print and how they can put it right.

Leigh S

Hachette has clearly taken over responsibility for the cover print!

Magnetica

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 15 September, 2020, 02:43:38 PM
2000AD's twits account has replied to someone that they're investigating with the printer what went wrong RE: the cover print and how they can put it right.

That makes sense - I was wondering how come they had such a large quantity of last month's print. Sounds more likely someone at the printers selected the wrong image.

dweezil2

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 September, 2020, 02:54:29 PM
Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 15 September, 2020, 02:43:38 PM

That makes sense - I was wondering how come they had such a large quantity of last month's print. Sounds more likely someone at the printers selected the wrong image.

Maybe they could pop the print into next month's Meg?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Art

Well...

"Attention Squaxx Dek Thargo: due to interference from the Dictators of Zrag, an incorrect subscriber print was enclosed with Judge Dredd Megazine #424. The print of the #424 cover will be added to subscriber copies of  #425 next month. Tharg, in his awesome humility, apologies."

https://twitter.com/2000AD/status/1305885337340780545

Darn Zraggians.

Laser Skeleton

I thought this was a spectacular issue. Loved it!

dweezil2

Only read the Dredd story so far but it promises to be another classy Wagner story-full of action, high stakes and razor sharp dialogue!!!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Leigh S

Didn't realise the Dredd was more than just a one off - this has made me extremely happy -  Can't imagine how daunting following Colin MacNeil must have been for Dan Cornwell, but  good job well done!

AlexF

Killer issue and I haven't even finished it yet! Best Anderson story in years, such a clever idea to explore what happens when institutionalised psychics enter old age and lose control.
But it's got proper stiff competition from the latest in the Beeny saga, and then there's Dreadnoughts, which is basically the story we were promised but never got from 'Armageddon: the Bad Man' way back in Volume 2 issues 1-10. And then there's Megatropolis, stunningly beautiful and so far a ton of fun. I don't suppose there are many new readers of the Megazine who might not immediately undertsand that this is an alt-universe thing, but it's engaging enough even without all those nods and winks.
Talk about artists and strips - I already can't imagine anyone other than Dave Taylor attempting this.

Proudhuff

Quote from: davidbishop on 13 September, 2020, 10:40:09 PM
Quote from: jrdd on 13 September, 2020, 02:39:23 PM
you see Mr. Bishop, if you're reading, proof that the crossover strategy worked...

Bwa-ha-ha! My opportunistic marketing spivery worked!

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

This was a great anniversary issue.  If you do not have a subscription then now is the time to jump onboard.

The two new strips Megatropolis and Dreadnoughts are my highlights. Two different and unique strips with some great artwork to add to the great new stories.

Great to read another Wagner Dredd story.

I love the art of Nick Percival on The Dark Judges story. His art is made for this dark gritty story.

First time in a very long time that I can say that Lawless was not my highlight in the Meg. I understand it is something different but I am no fan of musicals. I am not sure how to read this since my musical abilities are not existing. Reading it on the tune of "We Will Rock You" or "Sweet Child O' Mine" just do not work.

As I said an excellent meg 5/5
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Yep, this is a good one. And like broodbilk this is the first time in an age where Lawless didnt take the number one spot for me- for the same reasons. I'm not one for musical comics- going right back to that Robo Hunter story in the prog back in the day, I've found them generally irritating.

That said, this one was better than most as the lyrics served the story and the story was fantastic as I would expect from Lawless. And, of course, the art was phenomenal.

But still, top thrills for me were Dredd, Megatropolis and Dreadnoughts- and of those I would not like to choose between them. While Dredd was as youd expect, a superb piece of writing and art, Megatropolis was instantly absorbing and probably the best example of art absolutely fitting the tone of the story in a way that is seldom gotten exactly right in comics... it was probably Dreadnoughts that impressed me the most.

I've not read the "Early judges" books, but the way this was ripped off the front pages of the newspaper (figuratively) in front of me and from the headlines of the news I'm watching while writing this actually put a shiver up my spine. If this were a lesser writer than Mike Carroll I'd worry that the mirroring of this story by current events would put the comic at risk of media ire for having dared to go there. As it is, I hope some media outlet picks up on it because this is 2000AD at its very best and proof if any were needed that comics can be relevant to people over the age of six.

I'm not a fan of these Judge Death spin off things- neither this one or Deadworld do much for me, but the art here is nice. The Anderson strip was perfunctory and stuck out like a sore thumb when surrounded by much better material and I have no idea what The Returners is about or why it is there.

Encyclopaedia part one was as I expected it to be. Are we to have this every month for the next year with no more comics? Hmm. Not happy about that, but hey ho.

SBT