Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 January, 2012, 07:06:33 PM
Quote from: blackmocco on 26 January, 2012, 03:55:24 PM
Hate to say it but beyond a hardcore bunch of comic fans, Dredd isn't well-known at all over here in Los Angeles...
Also, I know we've been through the whole "director locked out of Dredd" nonsense and come through the other side but that story really seems to have stuck in people's consciousness. It made pretty big news here when it came out and I'm willing to (sadly) take bets that practically every review will begin with that story.

Was it pretty big news to people who never heard or Dredd?

Y'know, it kinda was.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

PreacherCain

Quote from: Bat King on 26 January, 2012, 11:50:01 AM
Look here, http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2011/2011-12.html, as Radiator says, Green Lantern is pure and simply way ahead of any 2000AD character in USA.  Quite why anyone thinks that one of the top DC characters can be less well known in USA than Judge Dredd is beyond me.

Those are comic book fans. I'm talking about normal people  :D

Dredd is associated first and foremost as a movie Stallone was in that cost way too much and everyone laughed at as his career flew into a mountain.

This is my point: people are aware of the character/property even if it is a negative association.

I don't think it's all that important anyway, frankly. Did it help the likes of Ghost Rider or Green Lantern? Or Watchmen?!

If the films good, it'll help spread good word of mouth. It's the kind of film, like District 9, that can build buzz and 'come out of nowhere'. Alternatively it'll suck and flop  :)

Beaky Smoochies

Hate to say it but beyond a hardcore bunch of comic fans, Dredd isn't well-known at all over here in Los Angeles. Even finding Dredd material in the well-known comic stores is a tough slog. People may not know the ins and outs of Green Lantern but they are at the very least aware he's a comic property in the same way they know that with Thor and Iron Man. Dredd is associated first and foremost as a movie Stallone was in that cost way too much and everyone laughed at as his career flew into a mountain. And everyone mixes it up with Demolition Man. So that's great.
To be honest, as we get closer to September, I'm starting to get a little concerned about what kind of reception it'll get. I don't know what Priest brought in box office wise but I can't help but think it'll be treated, marketed and received similarly as in an extreme niche release.
Also, I know we've been through the whole "director locked out of Dredd" nonsense and come through the other side but that story really seems to have stuck in people's consciousness. It made pretty big news here when it came out and I'm willing to (sadly) take bets that practically every review will begin with that story.

Would I be naive in believing if Dredd turns out to be something of a corker, all the negative memories of That-1995-Movie and the (completely unsubstantiated) rumours of discontent between Pete Travis and the Dredd producers will be forgotten about, and Dredd will be both redeemed and accepted as a viable cinematic property... I certainly hope so, I really - no, make that REALLY - wanna see a sequel with you-know-who in it, and with the DNA Films' guys handling the property right now, I think it's at least a 60/40 shot in favour of a Dredd sequel (around the $65-$70m range) getting a greenlight...!?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

klute

Has there been any indication when they will start with publicity for Dredd if so and i've missed it apology's.

By publicity i mean aside from the odd interview and picture here and there?
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 27 January, 2012, 03:31:20 AM
Would I be naive in believing if Dredd turns out to be something of a corker, all the negative memories of That-1995-Movie and the (completely unsubstantiated) rumours of discontent between Pete Travis and the Dredd producers will be forgotten about, and Dredd will be both redeemed and accepted as a viable cinematic property
The quality of the film is largely irrelevant—it's the US box office that will be the most important thing, with the second most important thing being the overall box office. Judging by other relatively niche properties, it really needs to bring in at least 1.5x its budget (and preferably 2x) to have any realistic chance of a sequel. So for a Dredd II, I'm guessing we'd need a box take in the $70m–$90m range. The upper end of that is what Hellboy managed back in 2004, so it is achievable, assuming it's a film that is well and appropriately marketed. If we're extremely lucky, we'll see a take like District 9 ($210m!); if not, we'll see something like Serenity (matching its budget, and thereby making a loss at the cinema) or the depressingly dismal take of the wonderful Attack the Block (under $6m, taking about half its budget).

Sometimes sequels can also be green-lit off the back of massive clean-up in terms of downloads/rentals/shiny disc sales, but that didn't help, say, Serenity.

radiator

I'd imagine there are other factors too - for instance I expect Guillermo Del Toro has a fair bit of clout in Hollywood, having a smash like Blade II under his belt probably helped persuade the studio to bankroll Hellboy II, despite the first one not really doing that well at the cinema.

I suspect that Dredd is likely to do better internationally than in the US (taking into account the takings of the 1995 movie and the general popularity/awareness of the character). I'm guessing that US box office won't be as critical as with most releases due to it not being a US production. I also think it's likely to fare better on home formats/VOD than it does at the cinema.

Bat King

Quite so, this isn't a US film, not US money.  So US ratings, while very important, aren't the only thing to watch.  If that was the case a heck of a lot of British, French, Bosnian (you get the idea) films wouldn't be made.

'International' box office figures are the key here, which as it is a UK film includes USA.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 January, 2012, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 27 January, 2012, 03:31:20 AM
or the depressingly dismal take of the wonderful Attack the Block (under $6m, taking about half its budget).

I think Attack the Block's parochial sensibilities didn't appeal to the Yanks -and distributor disinterest- despite it's Carpenteresque aspirations.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 January, 2012, 02:26:11 PMI think Attack the Block's parochial sensibilities didn't appeal to the Yanks -and distributor disinterest- despite it's Carpenteresque aspirations.
The UK take was also disappointing. I don't think people gave the film a chance, and were terribly confused by its very much 'grey' thinking. People too often like to know who's good and who's bad.

Bat King

Yes...  a US remake would be a very different film.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

MR. ELIMINATOR

Who knows, if it doesn't make a lot of money at the box office it may still get a sequel eventually. I find it weird that sequels always seem to be confirmed straight away now. What's wrong with a couple of years gap?

Alien was released in 1979 then Aliens wasn't released until 1986. I ain't saying Dredd will be a hit like alien was, but just using it as an example of length between sequels. Give it some time and see if enough people want a Dredd sequel and then even if the first one didn't make enough money, the sequel potentially could as there would now be a bigger awareness.

I just hope it's good.

Goaty

Yeah but problems with last 15 years, lots of original films was about to release, then before it does, sequels will be confirmed, but without SCRIPTS!

A.Cow

Quote from: Bat King on 26 January, 2012, 11:50:01 AM
Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow. In other words the central characters of Justice League since Silver Age...  They outsell Marvel.

Those individual characters may have the top of the market ... but overall Marvel have whipped DC for the last 30 years.  That was the whole reason for the "New 52" re-launch.

What is most interesting is that DC felt they had to re-boot many of these "top" characters too.  Maybe they realised that their "top-ness" is now under threat.

These historical graphs tell a very clear story:

radiator

My worst fear is that Dredd will do OKish, and then we end up with one or two crappy, lazy, low-rent, straight to DVD sequels that involve few of the original cast and crew.

In that case I think I'd prefer no sequels at all.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: radiator on 27 January, 2012, 06:03:39 PM
My worst fear is that Dredd will do OKish, and then we end up with one or two crappy, lazy, low-rent, straight to DVD sequels that involve few of the original cast and crew.

In that case I think I'd prefer no sequels at all.