Main Menu

2000AD 40th Anniversary - 11th Feb 2017 - London

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 23 September, 2016, 06:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

The Hammersmith Mafia planning the next spoonheist.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

From our point of view the bar staff were terrible and missed the chance to make beaucoup bucks. From the bar staffs' perspective we were a royal pain in the arse as they get paid the same regardless if the bar is stuffed or empty. Don't suggest tips - the majority of punters were Scottish.

I did go to reception at one point to say " Excuse me Good Sir, I am a resident in your fine hotel and would like to imbibe, along with my gentle friends, a selection of your cask ales and spirits. May I impose upon you to have the night porter assist me in this endeavour?"

What I actually said after an emotional day of heavy drinking was probably " Haw big man gies some fecking booze ya bam, we're gaspin' over here"

To their credit they did serve me and I got a bargain 5 flat pints of bitter for thirty quid.

The restaurant staff were great - I looked a bit lost and a nice Spanish waitress brought me a menu and followed me about until I had secured a small corner of the Scowlin Monkey table, before taking my order and bringing it to me personally with a nice smile. She got two quid for her trouble.

They also didn't quibble or add to the bill when Bad City Blue asked them to make up the sofa bed in my room. It was a two person room but I had put '1 adult' on the reservation as only I wanted breakfast. When BCB asked to add breakfast he was told it would cost £18! I only paid £9.95 and it was very nice. Evidence below.(I had no one to take my photo with the grub and was too shy to ask the staff).

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 February, 2017, 01:53:10 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 18 February, 2017, 12:33:06 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 18 February, 2017, 12:25:16 PM
So what was this whole spoon thing about?

I got denied service for touching the barman's spoon.

Why did you touch his spoon?

I'm not asking that to be critical of you, or suggest he was justified. It's just reading these things out of context, these actions and reaction are rather odd and surreal. And comical.

I guess the real question is, what's the story?

I was waiting to be served. Had been for about 10 minutes. There was a spoon sat on the bar. It was all twisty, like a helter-skelter. I was bored. I picked it up and rolled it between my fingers. The barman went crazy. Some helpful Rebellion employee who was stood beside me explained this was lunatic behaviour. The barman remained crazy. I apologised for touching his spoon. The barman refused my apology.

I got Proudhuff to buy the round. (With my cash before you ask!)
Lock up your spoons!

Steve Green

I guess if you're going to lose it over a spoon, maybe a career dealing with the public might not be for you...

JOE SOAP

NEVER touch another man's spoon.

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 February, 2017, 01:57:01 PM

Jim Campbell is a nice man shock!

Fake news! Very bad! Don't look at my tiny hands. </trump>

Edit: At the risk of sounding like a soppy git, this is what the whole day felt like... a big, warm embrace from hundreds of friends you didn't know you had. It was just fantastic.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

QuoteThere was a spoon sat on the bar. It was all twisty, like a helter-skelter. I was bored. I picked it up and rolled it between my fingers. The barman went crazy.
Wow. That does seem a way overreaction from the barman. Especially as the spoon was right on the bar.

At least you can say Helter Skelter gave you some entertainment now*. (Boom, tish!)

*For the record, I actually didn't mind that Dredd story, but I know many here don't, and I couldn't resist the awful gag.

sheridan

Quote from: Buttonman on 18 February, 2017, 04:04:55 PM
To their credit they did serve me and I got a bargain 5 flat pints of bitter for thirty quid.

You were ripped off - you should have managed to get six pints for that!

shaolin_monkey

Also to their credit, my partner had torn her calf muscle the previous week when kicking someone in the head. She was unable to walk far, so chose a table at the bar where she could watch the Wales/England game while I wandered about the con. She was attended to very nicely the whole time, getting lunch promptly and asked if she would like drinks brought to her, which she reports also turned up promptly.

Re tips, everyone still standing at 2am on the Friday night (quite a few) dug deep into their pockets and pooled together a large tip for the bar staff. Plus they got a round of applause at the end of the night.

The problem was there just wasn't enough of them, and those that were there just weren't experienced in the bar trade. Anyone who has ever worked a busy bar could tell that in an instant.

So my feedback to Novotel was 'plan ahead when you have a big event on, make sure you have extra staff on, make sure drinks are well stocked, and offer more bar training to your folk'.

Tjm86

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 19 February, 2017, 10:29:42 AM
Also to their credit, my partner had torn her calf muscle the previous week when kicking someone in the head.

:o

Did you explain why she was unable to walk properly?  Just wondering if that factored in to their decision!

Buttonman

dancornwell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 February, 2017, 09:25:58 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 February, 2017, 01:57:01 PM

Jim Campbell is a nice man shock!

Fake news! Very bad! Don't look at my tiny hands. </trump>

Edit: At the risk of sounding like a soppy git, this is what the whole day felt like... a big, warm embrace from hundreds of friends you didn't know you had. It was just fantastic.

Had a good chat with Jim out in the smoking zone, a great guy! ''Twas very cold but the alcohol warmed me up. Great to meet you at last Jim and everyone else.