2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 May, 2013, 11:47:59 AM
Get Everything on an Even Keel

That should be our password(s)!

Thought it already was!

@ Wakefield....so you're the one who bought that page eh?
A sub-zero classic, and one of my personal all time favorites. Well done!

ming

Quote from: Link Prime on 23 May, 2013, 11:09:59 AM
Looking forward to Getting Everything on an Even Keel, eh Ming?  :D

Absolutely :)

I love this pair of pages; no Geek action but plenty of dialogue and Cam's trademark brilliance with alien landscapes and future-tech.  There's even more detail on these pages than I expected, so it's worth checking out the large scans I just uploaded on CAF.

Cam gallery on CAF is here: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=99158

Spikes

A very lovely pair of consecutive pages there, and well remembered ones, to boot Ming.  :thumbsup:
Youll have to track down the others now!
Always liked (and scratched my head at!) that panel where they say theyll have to get used to seeing in different light!

Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 23 May, 2013, 07:37:58 AM
Quote from: o1s1n on 22 May, 2013, 10:52:57 PM
That is such a mad cover, I love it!

On a side note, has Carlos ever explained his 'draw little lumps/broken edged lines/square things around the edges of his artwork' technique/styalization? I've always really really liked it and wondered how it came about.

I think he stopped doing that in the '80's... i've never seen anyone else do that in a drawing.

Mick McMahon also used the 'broken edge line' effect.

o1s1n

Cheers lads! I've been wondering about that one for years. Another mystery of the universe sold :)

Interesting that McMahon did it too, can't say I ever noticed!

Call-Me-Kenneth

Hi guys,

I used to be big fan of 2000AD back in the day, unfortunately I don't have as much time for comics these days.

Looking at this particular thread (and the other original art-related threads) is a great trip down memory lane and it's fantastic to see all this great original artwork by the artistic heroes of my formative years.

So just posting here to show my appreciation for what you guys are doing and I'll put up some of the dozen or so original 2000AD pieces I own.

(Now I'll just have to learn how to use this site, avatar pic, how to post artwork etc!)

hippynumber1

Wecome to the board, Sir! Looking forward to seeing what you've got (and be prepared to be inundated with cash offers)!  :lol:

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 May, 2013, 04:37:04 PM

Mick McMahon also used the 'broken edge line' effect.

I never noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

ming

Surely Mick only used the broken line / fish-tooth effect because he was asked to mimic Carlos' style closely in the early days?  He soon got out from under that and the rest is (art) history!

Skullmo

If you want to mimic Ezquerra go for big chins and a nobbly line!

Oh and exceptionally good drawing
It's a joke. I was joking.

Spikes

Quote from: ming on 24 May, 2013, 08:10:42 AM
Surely Mick only used the broken line / fish-tooth effect because he was asked to mimic Carlos' style closely in the early days?  He soon got out from under that and the rest is (art) history!

Well, this all now raises the question - and without having any back progs to hand; Who used that effect first?
Those two images by Mick i posted date from 1977 and 1981 respectively. During that time Carlos drew very little Dredd indeed. Of course the Apocalypse War was his big comeback. Did Carlos use that broken line effect on say, Strontium Dog?
A quick look through any back issues would solve this - and i suspect it will have been Carlos, but like i said ive not got them to hand.

Link Prime

Two amazing VCs pages there Ming, gorgeous stuff by Cam (in particular the panel where they're posed on the title).

Fatboydale

Lovely Stuff ...... whats going on , has 2000ad artwork exploded , its coming out from everywhere ....and Vintage as well ..... right fuck it ,i'm off to start the time machine ( or really look under my bed ) .... ;)

Quote from: ming on 23 May, 2013, 12:48:35 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 23 May, 2013, 11:09:59 AM
Looking forward to Getting Everything on an Even Keel, eh Ming?  :D

Absolutely :)

I love this pair of pages; no Geek action but plenty of dialogue and Cam's trademark brilliance with alien landscapes and future-tech.  There's even more detail on these pages than I expected, so it's worth checking out the large scans I just uploaded on CAF.

Cam gallery on CAF is here: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=99158

Call-Me-Kenneth

Hi guys,

I said I'd post some stuff on this thread, so here's some pages of the 2000ad and  Megazine artwork I own:
Some Biz Sláine.

Kev Walker Childhood's end

Simon Harrison Revere

Sorry about the rough photos (taken from my phone), I've been meaning to get a decent scanner for ages.

I'll put up a few pieces on the non-2000ad art thread as well.

Link Prime

Fantastic stuff CMK....'The Flaming Spear of the Sun' by Biz....I'd slit my mothers throat for it!
Did you buy the Revere piece from Dale?

Call-Me-Kenneth

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 May, 2013, 10:51:11 PM
Fantastic stuff CMK....'The Flaming Spear of the Sun' by Biz....I'd slit my mothers throat for it!
Did you buy the Revere piece from Dale?
Hi Link,

Cheers for the compliment, there's something quite magical about the Spear of Lug pictures in the The Horned God saga.

As for my Revere pages, I did indeed purchase them (and a few other things) from Dale, a top bloke, with an encyclopaedic knowledge of 2000ad and it's artwork/artists. But I guess you guys know that already!!

Ken