Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

The "it was my boirthday [x] days ago" thread... I like it. I think I might start one of those every day.

DavidXBrunt

GordonR

I'm very disappointed with the quality of these RIP threads.  While Gary callously dismisses Octavia Butler as "black, lesbian sf writer", here's how others have hailed her departure from this mortal coil:

"Today I say a silent prayer that she may travel well wherever the next stage of her great adventure takes her."

That was Steven Savile, by the way, he of the imminent Slaine novel and the Marenghi-tastic website.

I have a feeling Stevie might become an unwitting star on this board.

Art

I think all other sites on the internet just became obsolete.

DavidXBrunt

Dear Boddah In Heaven! The man has made pimping his own work into an artform! Have you seen his Vampire Street Team? Unbelievable.

DavidXBrunt

And whilst it really is a case of Kettle and Pot here's his fat and fatuous face.

Link: http://www.stevensavile.com/raventower.htm" target="_blank">Steven Savile and his Vampire Buddies.

http://www.stevensavile.com/ss_images/Steve_portrait.jpg">

GordonR

Is that the "hey, lowly prole, here's your chance to help me - yes, ME!!! - spread the word about me and how great I am!  Bow down before me and give praise for how lucky I have allowed you to be!" bit?

He's a delight to watch in action on the Black Library board.  Guaranteed to turn any thread he's on into a discussion about him and his work.

DavidXBrunt

Yep. I like the way he suggests flyposting in his honour. It's worth remembering that by that action alone he could be done for inciting a crime.

Mr D

I know this isn't exactly sf related, but it's saddening all the same....

Linda Smith passed away yesterday.

Art

ote the use of an "Ellis Angle" in the photograph - probably hiding a double chin.

The Amstor Computer

"Probably"? I don't think there's any probably about it ;-)

I quite liked the bit about his debut novel - that would be the vanity-published debut novel with a run of only 250 copies.

Mind you, the Slaine novel should make interesting reading. Here's guessing we'll see one or more of the following:

-- Celtic vampires, possibly painstakingly researched, but likely to be just as tedious as most vampires written by fat, pretentious tossers

-- Absolutely no humour whatsoever

-- An even more dull, self-important Slaine than in the Books of Invasions

-- A shoutout to the Barbarian Street Team for doing all the marketing and legwork that the author/publisher should have done themselves

DavidXBrunt

No probably about it. He does look a lot like Ellis going to a fancy dress contest as D'israeli, doesn't he?

GordonR

So, be honest, anyone want to join me and sign up with the Vampire Street Team?  It'll be like the Airfix Modeller's Club - only better!  You get a free Steven Savile bookmark, and everything!

Like the man himself says, "It's your chance to make a difference."

Quirkafleeg

Is'nt it about time you had your own 'team' Gordon? You could call it the Jason Giants or something....

DavidXBrunt

I'm signed up and raring to go. Raring I tells you.