Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Quote from: johnnystress on 09 April, 2010, 08:36:29 PM
Although spoiling your vote may seem like a waste of time one reason for doing so, if you have no preference is that it will be counted- in as far as calculating the number of people who came out to vote...

Had more people made their mark-even by drawing willies on the ballot form, the results of the yes and no votes would have stood....

Oh, the irony. Oh yes.

When I lived in York the council held a referendum on having residents only parking (it follows me wherever I go). I voted no, but 51% of those who voted were in favour of the changes. What annoyed me enormously is that had more than a handful of those who voted no merely not turned out to vote, the result would have been invalid. They couldn't have pushed through their measure without my 'no' vote. The bastards.
STRIKE !!!

WoD

Damn...this is a car crash thread in the making.

Don't agree with ballet spoiling but would prefer there to be a 'none of the above' option, now that would send a message.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: WoD on 09 April, 2010, 09:02:43 PM
Don't agree with ballet spoiling but would prefer there to be a 'none of the above' option, now that would send a message.

I agree. But when it isn't available, I write my own 'none of the above' on the paper in a freeform way.

However, I am seriously considering spoiling my vote in the form of a mime, this year.  ;)

Another thing - I wonder can anyone here put their hands on their hearts and say they truly believe in the vote they cast. The best I've heard, so far, from the boarders who do vote have been 'best of a bad bunch' remarks.

House of Usher

When I vote I tend to think in terms of which candidates are promising to make rich people pay more taxes than poor people, and which are promising to give rich people more money than they have already. I usually find the choice quite easy to make.
STRIKE !!!

M.I.K.

Not too sure about ballot spoiling but I really like the sound of spoiling a ballet.

WoD

It's practically impossible (I would think) to have a totally informed opinion on all the relevant issues that you should consider when reviewing your voting options.  'Best of a bad bunch' seems to have some merit, but again is possible for that to be totally thought through?

WoD

Quote from: M.I.K. on 09 April, 2010, 09:26:03 PM
Not too sure about ballot spoiling but I really like the sound of spoiling a ballet.

ahh ... oops.

radiator

Whats the betting that some sort of massive facebook election protest/prank thing gets rolling in the next week or two?

Am going to register to vote for the first time ever this year. I'm undecided - but there is no chance in hell that I am voting for either of the main two parties.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 April, 2010, 08:47:34 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 09 April, 2010, 08:21:04 PM2) If everyone who doesn't normally vote (over 33% of Northern Ireland, for example) decided to spoil their vote, instead, it would send out one hell of a message.

As a more general comment, perhaps it would be wiser of we kept our specific voting intentions to ourselves. For example, I consider UKIP to be a sickening bunch of filthy, small-minded, pig-ignorant racist bastards, intent on stirring up hostility and bigotry at every opportunity, and frankly no better than the BNP. I really don't need to know who here is planning on voting for them.

As another general comment, this will end in flames.

Regards

Robin

Article :

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/cristinaodone/100033643/nutty-ukip-says-its-a-party-of-real-people-real-people-should-sue/

The comments are worth reading as well.  :D

If we keep things civil then this thread shouldnt end in flames so luckily i am not going to reply to that inflammatory comment.I am not convinced that there is anything Racist in any of UKIP policies but they have been infiltrated by BNP members in the past amongst other things.

I will look into it some more but i will say that i have my reasons for potentially voting for them but none of my reasons are based on Racism or Xenophobia.

I am done with the LIBLABCON.

Otherwise there should be a NO vote/none of the above as a recognised vote of NO confidence.

Not sure about the line them up and shoot them option though as thats what happens in despotic regimes though its interesting you say that.If they are tried in a court of law for treason and sedition then that carries a death penalty.Not sure i sanction the death penalty but thats a seperate topic.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

mogzilla

mayor ambrose he seems like a nice fella...or dave the orang utan...but he's dead. :D

SuperSurfer

If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

House of Usher

I'd vote for Ambrose based on his record in office. A real man of the people and a solid, upright citizen.

:D
STRIKE !!!

COMMANDO FORCES

I have always voted and always will.
I have voted for different parties during my years, depending on what I thought would be best for the country and not just for me. I have also written abuse on a few European ballot papers, because I can and because it disgusts me that they are so corrupt (oops, put my Peter head on then ;)).

By the way on the way back from Hi-Ex! Peter and myself sorted out this countries woes and put it back on track. It was so simple :lol:

Peter Wolf

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 10 April, 2010, 03:09:27 AM
I have always voted and always will.
I have voted for different parties during my years, depending on what I thought would be best for the country and not just for me. I have also written abuse on a few European ballot papers, because I can and because it disgusts me that they are so corrupt (oops, put my Peter head on then ;)).

By the way on the way back from Hi-Ex! Peter and myself sorted out this countries woes and put it back on track. It was so simple :lol:

I didnt get to fiddle any expenses though which was unfortunate.

:D

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Steve Green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7B3gAxgZU

Confidence in politicians at an all-time low? This will help then...