Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

O Lucky Stevie!

We're living in JG Ballard's future now Pops.

Roast alsatian, anyone?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Look at her...

It's like when a beautiful woman gets married.
You always fancied a ride.
But now that's virtually impossible.

:'(

The Legendary Shark

She was a beauty all right, but she's had her day. Let her retire now, while she still has her looks.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 July, 2011, 12:38:42 AM
She was a beauty all right, but she's had her day. Let her retire now, while she still has her looks.

HAD HER DAY? She's being replaced by a 50 year old Russian whore!

vzzbux

End of an era.
How it could have looked.
Would it have lasted longer if they had gone with some of the more expensive designs. We will never know.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: vzzbux on 25 July, 2011, 12:55:03 AM
How it could have looked.

Let's not go there vzzbux. We'll just make Stevie angry.

Quote from: pops1983 on 25 July, 2011, 01:02:48 AM
Here's the Saturn V Flight Manual:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750063889_1975063889.pdf

Now there's a spacecraft!

Quote from: pops1983 on 25 July, 2011, 12:44:01 AM
She's being replaced by a Russian CosmoMilf

TSFTFY  ;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Richmond Clements

Quote from: pops1983 on 25 July, 2011, 01:02:48 AM
Here's the Saturn V Flight Manual:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750063889_1975063889.pdf

I bloody love the Space Program

I've said before that the Saturn V rocket sits among the greatest achievements of our species- it's up there with the Sistine Chapel, with the pyramids, with the Mona Lisa, with Moonlight Sonata, with Hamlet.

O Lucky Stevie!

The Saturn V & Voyager probes belong upon that ultimate pedestal alongside writing & fire.

TordelBack

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 25 July, 2011, 07:31:47 AM
The Saturn V & Voyager probes belong upon that ultimate pedestal alongside writing & fire.

Throw in wine and a shower and it's a date.

The shuttle is one of the most beautiful things this species has ever made, perhaps all the more magical for being so fatally flawed.  Almost anything that follows in the next few decades is going to seem like a step backwards. irrespective of practicality. 

Even while I know that cheaper disposable and more reliable solutions are the way forward, deep down I can't shake the feeling that this is the beginning of the end of our adventures in space, as predicted so precisely in Baxter's Titan.

The Legendary Shark

Wheels Stop !
The Space Shuttle Era Ended Here – with Atlantis touchdown on grooved Runway 15 for the Final Flight on July 21, 2011 at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The STS-135 mission closed out NASA's Space Shuttle Era after three decades of flight and 135 missions. Credit: Ken Kremer
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

The Leo Triplet — a group of interacting galaxies about 35 million light-years from Earth. This wide field of view comes courtesy of the VLT Survey Telescope (VST) at the Paranal Observatory. It has a field of view twice as broad as the full Moon — which is unusual for a big telescope – and the FOV is wide enough to frame all three members of the group in a single picture.

http://www.universetoday.com/87781/new-image-triples-your-galaxy-fun/
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]