Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Orion Sunset

Here the stellar winds are carving out a cavity in a vast reflection nebula. It's an area of Orion that many of us have seen before – but not like the Hubble Space Telescope reveals it...

http://www.universetoday.com/87796/peace-in-the-light-an-orion-sunset/
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

Magnificent photos of the indifferent time machine we call the Universe.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

worldshown

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the "Life is Drokking fantastic" thread seeing as we don't have a "Life is kinda sappy" thread.

Anyway, I spent most of today in Hay-on-Wye looking through all the second-hand book shops. I was in one of them checking out a book of German idioms when a family (grandmother, mother and primary-school age daughter) walked into the same section.

As they went into the row of books behind me, I heard the young girl squeal with delight "Natural history books! I'm in HEAVEN!" which made me smile far more than it should.

Guess there's at least one safe pair of hands for the next generation.

The Legendary Shark

Atlantis and post landing convoy vehicles. Credit: Ken Kremer

From: Universe Today, where there are more cool pics like this one. I can't help feeling, though, that there should also be a marching band and elephants.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Freaky Deaky Flashed Face Distortion effect.

http://mbthompson.com/research/

It's all to do with the way the brain identifies faces.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

strontium71

How the hell is that done? I thought it was fake , but a quick glimpse to either side shows normal faces  :o
...because I hate you.

Quote from: strontium71 on 29 July, 2011, 07:56:06 PM
How the hell is that done? I thought it was fake , but a quick glimpse to either side shows normal faces  :o

It explains it in the link:

QuoteThe effect seems to depend on processing each face in light of the others. By aligning the faces at the eyes and presenting them quickly, it becomes much easier to compare them, so the differences between the faces are more extreme. If someone has a large jaw, it looks almost ogre-like. If they have an especially large forehead, then it looks particularly bulbous. We're conducting several experiments right now to figure out exactly what's causing this effect, so watch this space!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Scientists have discovered what they call a "Trojan" asteroid, one trapped in the earth's orbit and circling the sun at the same rate as our planet. Scientists say that it's been there for at least 10,000 years — not long, in solar system time.

Here's a clip from PBS NewsHour, explaining the asteroid: See the asteroid trapped in Earth's orbit.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dunk!

Because, having preordered them an age ago, Usagi Yojimbo Vol.25, Orbital No.4, Judge Dredd: The Restricted Files No.3, and finally, and most anticipated, Doug TenNapel's new GN: Bad Island, all landed on my desk whilst I was away.

Quality (bar some of the Dredd) graphic overdose.
"Trust we"

Dunk!

"Trust we"

The Legendary Shark

This stunning new Cassini image was captured on July 29, 2011, and shows a portion of Saturn's rings along with several moons dotting the view.

NASA JPL Cassini Solstice Mission
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

vzzbux

Moon Star
Well Lucas has to get his inspiration from some where.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.