Main Menu

The Dream Warriors

Started by richerthanyou, 04 March, 2016, 07:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Rately on 03 November, 2020, 11:09:56 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 21 June, 2020, 07:14:05 PM
This morning I dreamt I was watching an advertisement from the 1980s for an expensive afftershave named after a character from a popular British soap opera of the time. The actor who played the part appeared within the advert, being fawned over by a sophisticated 1980s lady. I've now recreated the last frame of the dream advert pretty accurately. It looked like this...

I want it for Christmas. Smells of woollen cap.

My brother was in the Royal Air Force and was stationed in Port Stanley just after the end of the Falklands war. They used to refer to the locals as "Bennys" because of the Crossroads character.

An edict cam from on high that this was insulting to the islanders and had to stop.

Which it did - and thereafter the islanders were referred to as "Stills".

When pulled up one day by a superior officer as to what this meant, the reply was; "Well, we can't refer to them as such but they are STILL f@#$ing Bennys".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rately

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 February, 2021, 04:20:50 PM
Quote from: Rately on 03 November, 2020, 11:09:56 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 21 June, 2020, 07:14:05 PM
This morning I dreamt I was watching an advertisement from the 1980s for an expensive afftershave named after a character from a popular British soap opera of the time. The actor who played the part appeared within the advert, being fawned over by a sophisticated 1980s lady. I've now recreated the last frame of the dream advert pretty accurately. It looked like this...

I want it for Christmas. Smells of woollen cap.

My brother was in the Royal Air Force and was stationed in Port Stanley just after the end of the Falklands war. They used to refer to the locals as "Bennys" because of the Crossroads character.

An edict cam from on high that this was insulting to the islanders and had to stop.

Which it did - and thereafter the islanders were referred to as "Stills".

When pulled up one day by a superior officer as to what this meant, the reply was; "Well, we can't refer to them as such but they are STILL f@#$ing Bennys".

Brilliant  :lol:

milstar

My dreams often can be lucid. And long; yet, I forget copious amount each time I wake up. Weirdest of all, every time I dream them, they seem so nightmarishly real.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Tjm86

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 February, 2021, 04:20:50 PM

Really?  I was there in '92 and they were still called Benny's.  Being "Bennied" was also a euphemism for having to stay beyond the end of your tour as a result of your replacement not coming down (which actually happened to me!).

The other disparaging nickname was Chogie's, for the Ascension Islanders that did a lot of the cleaning duties.

Ah, them were the days!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: milstar on 08 March, 2021, 05:29:30 PM
My dreams often can be lucid. And long; yet, I forget copious amount each time I wake up. Weirdest of all, every time I dream them, they seem so nightmarishly real.

Me and all. Which reminds me of last night's one where I was a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp.  Weird thing was, I really did visit Dachau once and my dream was nothing like that. Still very grim though. I blame the lockdown.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

milstar

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 March, 2021, 10:39:11 PM
Quote from: milstar on 08 March, 2021, 05:29:30 PM

Me and all. Which reminds me of last night's one where I was a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp.  Weird thing was, I really did visit Dachau once and my dream was nothing like that. Still very grim though. I blame the lockdown.

I just woke up from afternoon nap. I dreamed that I am playing RE5 with Chris Redfield and when I reached the end i battled some monster, which in fact was me, that manifests like giant monster, but is Chris Redfield instead lol. Like Chris Redfield is some clone gone rogue or something. No kidding.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Legendary Shark

Here's a weird one that affected me quite deeply and came in three parts, punctuated by pee breaks.

Part I - The Poet

I awoke in a luxurious bed in a very classy bedroom. Next to me was a woman with her naked back to me. Her back was covered in bruises. I made one of those waking up noises and she stirred.

"I suppose you want me to assume the position," she said in a defeated yet entirely familiar voice.

"Eh?"

She turned to face me, eyes down, and I was stunned to find that she was Pam Ayres. I gaped and said, "Pam Ayres?"

She hid an angry scowl and pleaded with me to stop playing my wicked mind games on her and just "get on with it."

I got out of the bed and backed away, blathering. "I would never do that..."

After a brief conversation she grew truly afraid. "Who are you?" she demanded and then, when I told her my name, she called for help and three bodyguards burst into the room. She pointed at me and shouted that I was an impostor. The bodyguards thought  this was very amusing until they spoke to me and finally agreed with Pam. They moved in to do me mischief.

Whenever I punch people in a dream it's always pointless - my arm feels like it's moving through congealing concrete and the punch connects with all the force of a fly landing on blancmange. Not this time. The lead bodyguard went down like a sack of cheap manure, thoroughly sparko.

"Get the Hell out," I said, playing a part, "and don't come back until I call for you."  They departed, carrying their unconscious friend with them.

Pam was properly scared now and very confused. I stayed back and tried to figure it out. I'd first seen her, I explained, on telly years ago reading her poem I wish I'd Looked After me Teeth, we even had a book of her poems, and that she still popped up on the radio and telly, that she was a kind of mid-level national treasure, and that I'd never met her, knew nothing about her.

She explained that her husband, whom I shall call Bastard Shark, had also seen her on telly all those years ago and used his family's vast wealth and power to woo her but, once married, had kept her a virtual prisoner in this mansion, subjecting her to regular beatings and constant mental torture. In her world, she'd never been on telly again, never been allowed to publish - or even write - another poem.

After a long conversation, we came to the conclusion that I'd somehow woken up in the wrong alternate universe, in the body of an alternate me.

She happened to have divorce papers hidden away, drawn up in secret years ago, but never had the nerve to present them to Bastard Shark. So I told her to fetch them and we both signed them, ordering the bodyguards to also sign as witnesses. Pam was very happy, as was I.

Then my bladder woke me up.

Part II - Worry

It took me ages to get back to sleep. The dream had been so real that I was worried what Bastard Shark might do once he regained his own body. I was also worried that I was worrying about people who don't exist, dream people.

Eventually, though, fall asleep I did and found myself trying to get back. Bastard Shark, however, appeared and blocked my path. In a monstrous rage, fairly radiating malevolence, he howled at me.

"Stay away from my body! Stay away from my world! Stay away from my woman!" His voice was fearsome, filled with sickly purple light, and he raised his fist then punched me so hard that I woke up.

I had  another pee then went back to bed.

Part III - Pawn

Asleep again, eventually, I found myself in a featureless void. Soon, another me appeared, this one I'll call Evil Genius Shark.

"Did it work?" he asked me. I didn't understand, so he reached into my mind and took the memories of my visit to Pam and pumped his fist in triumph.

He wanted to know what I'd learned about this alternate world. He thought he could steal Pam's poems, which didn't exist in his world, and publish them to make money. He wanted to send me into the bodies of alternate versions of me every night to pick up anything he could sell in his world.

I was appalled and demanded he send me back to check on Pam, give her enough time to escape from Bastard Shark because I feared that in signing the divorce papers I'd actually signed her death warrant.

Evil Genius Shark was angry. "Humans are infinite in number," he said, "the loss of one is less than insignificant."

I pleaded but he just looked disappointed and, looking at someone I couldn't see said, "This one is no good. Find me another."

The void evaporated, Evil Genius Shark disappeared and then my alarm went off.

I've tried to get back on subsequent nights to rectify my mistake but without success. I've also been trying to make sense of it, in quantum and psychological ways but, again, without success.

Maybe I'm just loopy.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

No need for concern, Sharky. Your fellow squaxx are here to help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdjf4lMmiiI

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 May, 2021, 12:40:29 PM
Here's a weird one that affected me quite deeply and came in three parts, punctuated by pee breaks.

Maybe I'm just loopy.

Nope, but you do need to write Netflix series  :)
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

An absolute corker last night!

I was the captain of a Federation starship - but only a small one with a crew of about 50. My ship was support vessel to two Enterprise-A style starships out exploring space beyound Federation borders when a Borg cube showed up being all belligerent and "resistance is futile" at us. The two big ships ordered me to scarper while they took on the cube. They were destroyed in minutes and the cube came after my little ship, which had minimal weapons.

I dropped us out of warp and used impulse drive to get to around 87% lightspeed because of some technobabbly law of warp physics that made such a speed hard to jump back to warp from. The cube was closing in, just minutes away from entering weapons range. I ordered the crew to the escape pods and initiated Escape Plan Gamma 3, which meant all the pods delayed launch until my order.

At thirty seconds from weapons range, I ordered the antimatter containment field dropped to 5%, its minimum setting. At ten seconds, I ordered the crew to launch the escape pods and then simultaneously ejected the bridge (which was an escape pod in its own right) and brought the now empty ship to a dead stop.

Unable to avoid the suddenly motionless ship, the Borg cube ploughed into it, causing a simultaneous warp core breach and antimatter explosion which, coupled with the cube's massive kinetic energy, destroyed both vessels utterly. Using the free flying bridge as a command ship, I led the escape pods away and back to Federation space - but woke up before I could get a medal.

Damn, but sometimes I love being asleep!

Llap.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

You always have the coolest dreams, Shark.  I woke up from a dream about those RAF pilots on Armstrong and Miller who use chav language.  I've never even watched Armstrong and Miller, and only saw those pilots on Youtube, about a year ago.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I was sat in the Sharkshed watching Dr Who (in my dream) and suddenly the TARDIS materialised around me. It was a version of the TARDIS I've never seen before, all shiny dark and cool, and the Doctor was all the Doctors at once (in the cool way that dream people can seem to be more than one person at a time) and had two companions; a tall, handsome black guy and a pretty middle-aged woman, neither of whom I recognised. The Doctor, who spoke with Tom Baker's voice, was struggling to control the TARDIS, which was all explodey and in obvious distress. "Well, we're in trouble now," the Doctor said.

Me and the two companions fell through the floor into lower decks and found ourselves in a corridor, which was also suffering from explosions. A dalek came around a corner, screaming. It wasn't after us but fleeing from some effect, similar to the kaleidoscopic buildings in Dr Strange, which was chewing up and rearranging the corridor, twisting and whirling it all out of shape. We turned to run away but the same effect was barrelling along the corridor from the other direction, trapping us. Just as the dalek spotted us and was about to fire, the roiling effect caught it and ripped it to bits, then we too were engulfed.

Once the effect had passed, we found ourselves in the corridor of a 1920s ocean liner. The male companion was on the other side of a wooden wall and we couldn't get him out because there was no door. The ship, it seemed, was sinking so we had to find a way to save him. I found a door and pushed through it, only to find myself in a large, ornate bathroom. Inside were an old black guy and a very old woman - who were not, they claimed, older versions of the two companions but completely different people. We had a conversation about the food being served aboard the ship, which they both agreed was excellent. The whirling kaleidoscope effect returned, ripping up the place, and the two old people got shredded.

Once it had passed, the Doctor's two companions and I found ourselves in another corridor - this time resembling the circular space station from 2001. Things seemed calm until an army of daleks came rushing at us from around the bend, still some way off but advancing rapidly. We turned to run but another horde of daleks appeared rushing towards us from the other direction. The space station started to shudder and disintegrate and warp.

"We have to get back to the TARDIS," I said.

But the guy, now in a Moonbase Alpha uniform and worrying at his hand-held scanner, insisted that we had to find the landing pad and get aboard his Eagle. "If we don't lift off in twenty minutes, the Moon will be out of range and we'll never get back!"

I looked to the woman, but she was now in a Starfleet uniform, tapping ineffectually at her offline com badge and calling, "Enterprise! Enterprise! Emergency beamout, now!"

The daleks zoomed closer, screeching their usual war cry, and it seemed we were doomed until a weird distortion, like heat haze, rushed towards us from both directions. It passed through the daleks and didn't do any damage but turned out to be a visual representation of the first "beeooowww" note of the Dr Who theme tune, but it built up into the theme tune from The Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy...

Then I woke up.

I can only assume that, somewhere out in the storyverse, the TARDIS collided with the Heart of Gold and become entangled with its infinite improbability field, and that one of the sparks from the explosion hit me right in the dreamstate.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Doctor Who, Daleks, 2001, Doctor Strange, Star Trek and Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

That is, like, the best Sci-Fi cross-over dream ever!  :)

The Legendary Shark

Seems I do all my best work while I'm asleep. :-/

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]