Main Menu

Podcasts

Started by JLC, 06 March, 2017, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: GordonR on 08 March, 2017, 07:18:31 PM
Star Maidens was actually German.  Which might explain a lot about it.

Yup, a bizarre Brit-German co-production that was filmed at Hammer's Bray studios.
It is 100% terrible though.

Trout

A second vote here for The Adventure Zone, which is enormous fun. I've been doing a lot of driving lately and it's sustained me well. It's best to start at the beginning, though, and I'm now just over a year behind! There are more than 50 hour-long episodes.

I also really like War Rocket Ajax, a comics podcast which has even featured Arthur Wyatt at least twice. Their ranking projects (one for characters and another for stories) are kind of fascinating.

Also the Thrill Cast, of course. I listen on looooong drives, and I now associate Molcher's voice with the need to urinate.

- Trout

Rately

Quote from: Frank on 07 March, 2017, 07:09:50 PM
Quote from: Rately on 06 March, 2017, 02:09:26 PM
Recently blasted through Untold : The Daniel Morgan Murder podcast

Thanks for the recommendation. Its appeal is similar to that of Serial, which I assume most people here will have listened to already (if not, highly recommended).

Not a problem, fella.

The Bret Easton Ellis podcast with John Carpenter couldn't be recommended highly enough. Great stuff.

JayzusB.Christ

Athletico Mince, with Bob Mortimer and Andy Something-or-Other. Originally a football podcast but they kind of gave up on that ages ago. I don't like football but AM makes me laugh out loud every time.
You'll have a lot of listening to do to catch up on running jokes, but it's worth it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

I second Athletico Mince. Me and my dad listen to them on long car journeys. Don't be put off by the football thing. I knew nothing about football, but thanks to AM I immediately knew who he was when I saw Steve McLaren on the telly thanks to his "hair island, it's my hair island!"

On a side note, I wonder if Andy peruses the boards since he's one of those comic book people?

Can't recommend it enough. So many laughs.

Eamonn Clarke

Soul Music
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mj7p

The beeb aren't making this show any more but all the episodes are available as a podcast.
Fascinating stories about how certain songs and pieces of music were written and the emotional impact they have had on the lives of various people.

Great episodes about Hallelujah, Fairy Tale of New York, Baker Street, Mr Blue Sky and many more,

The one about Strange Fruit is incredibly powerful radio.

Tony Angelino

Yes Soul Music is a good listen although I only listen to the songs I'm interested in. I'd also recommend the Theme from New York, New York one as well. I never liked the 'A Number One' line or the fact it is repeated so quickly. 

PsychoGoatee

Love podcasts, I listen to a pretty mammoth amount of them! Here are my top favs:

Tell 'Em Steve-Dave,
Mike and Tom Eat Snacks,
How Did This Get Made,
Judge John Hodgman,
Hollywood Babble-On,
Smodcast,
WTF with Marc Maron (the best interview podcast for me),
Comedy Bang Bang,
Weird Adults with Esther Povitsky,
The Steven Brody Stevens Festival of Friendship,
Pop Sickles,
Mega64 podcast,
and a shoutout to one of the best ever from years ago, The Lazlow Show.

JUDGE ALFISH

I am new to the Forum but not Mega City Book Club...which is wonderful!

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 27 April, 2017, 09:25:49 AM
Soul Music
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mj7p

The beeb aren't making this show any more but all the episodes are available as a podcast.

Are they not?  I've just added the xml feed and the latest three episodes are timestamped at one in the morning on the last three Wednesdays.

Tony Angelino

I think a new series of Soul Music started recently. It was about 6 months since the last episode.

SpaceSpinner2000

Right now my favorite podcasts are:

• The F Plus - "Terrible Things Read with Enthusiasm" a bunch of friends find the worst stuff written on the internet and then read it in silly voices. Definitely NSFW, but also really hilarious!
  • I Don't Even Own a Television - The hosts read a bad book and then discuss it. they usually have pretty good insights into the books and keep things fun.
  • The Attitude Era Podcast - Three English guys (well two Englishmen and an Irishman) do extensive recaps of late 90s WWF pro wrestling. They are super passionate and knowledgeable about the subject matter, and is fun to listen to even if you haven't seen the matches. I've taken a ton of inspiration from this show and its format.

Oh also I do a 2000 AD recap podcast called Space Spinner 2000, which I'll sheepishly suggest might be worth a listen :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

AlexF

Too many recommendations to cope with!

Personally, I confess I got a little bored of Kermode and Mayo, mostly because of all the listener correspondence. I switched over to the Empire podcast for my new release movie stuff.

Don't think I've seen anyone else mention them so I'll put in a good word for
The Guilty Feminist (recorded comedy show, basically)
Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time Period. (Denzel Washington movie reviews, hosted by two comedy writers)
Post Mortem with Mick Garris - he's a fairly dreadful filmmaker but clearly loves the genre and is  on friendly terms with a lot of cool horror directors, which makes for good chats.

JLC

Just over a month to go until the final season of The Black Tapes. Giving it a relisten!

ming

Quote from: Trout on 09 March, 2017, 05:12:24 AM
A second vote here for The Adventure Zone, which is enormous fun. I've been doing a lot of driving lately and it's sustained me well. It's best to start at the beginning, though, and I'm now just over a year behind! There are more than 50 hour-long episodes.

Judge Dredd got a namecheck in the latest Adventure Zone mini-adventure (Dust); my nerd-meter needle pushed into the red at that point.

Anyone have any other recent podcast recommendations?