Main Menu

challenge yourself!

Started by sheridan, 01 April, 2021, 01:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 01 April, 2021, 11:48:21 PM
Oh, and I've had issues with my weight for most of my life, but up until the age of forty it was generally that I was under weight and couldn't put it on.  How things change...

I hear you... :(
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Well...! Logged 81.6kg (12st 12lbs or 180lbs) at this morning's weigh-in.

That's 15.5kg off since I started this fitness/diet combo last May, and the first time almost thirty years I've been under 13st. Maybe another 3kg to lose.

We've been doing a keto (almost carb-free) diet since the 1st of March, and 5.3kg (12lbs) of that weight loss has come off in the last five weeks. I'd thoroughly recommend it.

You can even drink, as long as you're careful what booze you choose. 'Pure' spirits (vodka, whisky, gin) are OK, and still acceptable with a sugar-free mixer. Drinkwell has some rather acceptable carb-free red and white wines, and even a drinkable low-carb IPA.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dog Deever

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 April, 2021, 12:38:58 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 01 April, 2021, 11:48:21 PM
Oh, and I've had issues with my weight for most of my life, but up until the age of forty it was generally that I was under weight and couldn't put it on.  How things change...

I hear you... :(

Me too- I just canna keep weight on at all- never have been able to, I weigh less than a stone more than when I was 17. It's a cold life in the winter being sleek.

I was getting pins and needles and loss of sensation in my drawing hand after about 20 minutes of drawing around last summer. After some thinking and poking around I decided to blame my rotator cuff and started to punish it hard in an effort to loosen it up and get my shoulder sitting in a position that would allow me to draw for more than 20 minutes at a time. It's been another rough patch with posture and neck/ back issues along the way and things were going well enough for a time but the endless COVID situation does make me lose focus for long periods (as I'm sure many people are experiencing). I should take inspiration from this thread and get back to working the kinks out of the joint.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Woolly

Got another quick character request done - a Sad Dalek, as requested by none other than Simon Fraser!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Woolly on 05 April, 2021, 01:49:06 PM
Got another quick character request done - a Sad Dalek, as requested by none other than Simon Fraser!

Love it! Made me laugh out loud. Actually laugh out loud, I mean, not the Internet slang version!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Woolly

Thanks me old :)

And these two makes six requests complete! Admittedly, each and every one of them is a rush job, but it's been fun!

Apart from the RoboCop one. I stopped that one because it was weirding me out a bit...

Trooper McFad

They're great Woolly - I especially like the idea of robo cop standing at an ice cream van asking for a 99 😂😂😂😂
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Jim_Campbell

The keto diet continues... that's 6.6kg (14.5lb) off since I started it on March 1st. Should be under 80kg (roughly 12.5st) in the next week or so, which has been a target weight that's eluded me by some margin on every other diet I've tried... and I've tried a few.

The diet's a bit of a faff, TBH. If my wife wasn't a) happy to do the diet as well, and b) working from home, making it practical to plan, prepare and cook three meals a day, then I don't think we could have managed it. But, clearly, it does work.

(Also, fortunately, I've never had a sweet tooth — we've never kept biscuits, chocolates or sweets in the house, nor sugary soft drinks. If you've got a more sugar-heavy diet, be aware that sugar withdrawal in the first week or so can be a complete sonofabitch.)

von Boom

I've been struggling to lose 1 st. for ages. I had come within about 5 kg of my target weight before Christmas, but a lockdown Christmas ruined me and put me back up over the 1 st. mark.

Recently, I picked up my guitar again after a long break from it and low and behold I'm within 5kg of my target weight. I'm still very rusty but I think keeping my hands and mind occupied has kept me from making poor diet choices.

I would truly like to reach my goal of below 80kg (like Jim). I would like to get down to 75 kg, but I don't think that will ever happen again without either starving myself or exercising at dangerous levels.

Jim_Campbell

Well, after a three week 'plateau'* on the weight loss front, it's on the way down again — now at 78.6kg (~12st 5lbs in old money). 75kg would be nice, but if it settles anywhere between here and there, I can live with that. 75 would probably see off the last of this belly fat, so I'm still aiming for that.

Exercise proceding quite nicely, too.

No idea if this is 'good' by any objective measure, but it felt like a lot. 🙂

(This doesn't include cardio, which I log in different apps for cross-trainer and treadmill. Avg total calorie burn per day last week: 1005.)

I will also say that the Fitbod app is excellent. Highly customisable, with both text and video instructions for pretty much every exercise and it recognises multiple names for many exercises.

You tell it what equipment you have access to (including a 'bodyweight only' option if you don't have any), specify the kind of workout (weight loss, toning, muscle building, etc) and preferred duration, and it will auto-generate workouts for you. You can change which muscle groups you want to target, and save (and subsequently edit) any workouts you like for re-use.

*Not unexpected. A couple of weekends in a row where it wasn't possible to maintain the keto diet 100%, but no significant gains, though.

JayzusB.Christ

Fair play.  My junkie-thin youth has long gone and the kilos are catching up on me very quickly.  Your weight is less than mine now.  Time to get the finger out, I think.

Jim_Campbell

Marginal loss this week on today's weigh-in, but I was honestly expecting a gain after some pretty unhealthy food choices while I was travelling last weekend.

77.6kg (12st 3lbs in old money, or 171lbs for American readers). That brings up exactly 20% of my bodyweight shed since I started trying to get fit and lose weight at the end of May 2020.

That elusive 75kg is within sight, then I'll try to stabilise which, honestly, is likely to be the trickiest part. As I know from bitter experience, rebound is a fucker.

Sean SD

hey Jim this thread may just inspire me to get off my butt and get rid of some excess baggage.
Any tips from your journey appreciated!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Sean SD on 15 August, 2021, 11:07:32 AM
hey Jim this thread may just inspire me to get off my butt and get rid of some excess baggage.

Down to 75.7kg last week, which is a whisker under 12st.

I'm not going to lie — a large part of this success is the product of a combination of privilege and good fortune. I have a completely flexible working day, which enables me to fit in a lot of exercise (2+ hours a day, most days), enough disposable income to buy a load of weights and fitness equipment, and the space to use it at home.

The keto diet has been a big part of this, but, again, there's a certain amount of good fortune, in as much as my wife's been working from home since March 2020 which makes it practical to plan and prepare/cook three meals a day. Sadly, as diets go, it's not cheap since you're eliminating the low-cost carbs (potato, pasta, rice) that pad out a meal, so there's that privilege again. :(

With those fairly hefty provisos, I will say that the keto diet has been a revelation — nothing else I've tried (and I've tried a few) has so consistently produced weight loss week on week, but also not made me miserable.

We just started with this diet book. We didn't follow it religiously — some meals we didn't like the sound of, or were too much faff (plus, I'm allergic to fish) so we'd swap days around... but after a couple of weeks you get the hang of how it works, and you get out of the habit of having a pile of carbs on your plate, and it becomes pretty easy to improvise.

Although all the diet books (well, all diet books, pretty much) tell you not to drink, you can (and I have). 'Pure' spirits like vodka, whisky and gin are all allowable (stuff like rhubarb gin, or fruit vodkas aren't because of the added sugar from the fruit) and still permissible with a sugar-free mixer. The Drinkwell website has a range of very acceptable zero-carb wines, plus a surprisingly drinkable low-carb IPA.

I'd definitely say it's worth a go.

paddykafka

Quote from: Sean SD on 15 August, 2021, 11:07:32 AM

As someone who is on the opposite side of the weight spectrum, I would happily take yer excess baggage if there was a way to graft it onto my stick-thin bod. Instead, alas, I shall have to content myself by waiting, until something like Russel's Inflatable Muscles becomes available on the Medical Card, lol.