Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid Round 2 - Phil Winslade or Chris Weston

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 January, 2021, 06:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Seems fitting that the final vote for Round 2 seems to be very close. Any votes today could move this one so get um in and I'll count um up in the morning when this one finishes.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Phil Winslade. I considered not voting this round, this is getting too difficult. However, I spend so much time pouring over the art in Lawless, I've got to give it to Phil.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Okay well I often way get you votes in they might swing it and the last vote here did. I've counted and recounted and this one hasn't got the way I thought it was going. I knew it was close but I thought the glorious detailed art of Chris Weston had it... then I save how close it was this morning and as I got to Rogue Judge's vote for Phil Winslade I counted my first tie of both tourneys. Normally I'd dread this BUT

Chris Weston's art has developed into a wonder. I'll be honest we saw him grow on the page before us and so I'm not a fan of his earlier work. Phil Winslade has the advantage of doing his opus as a fully developed artist and so his work for Tharg is by far the finest I have seen by him. There is however no doubt in my mind. I love Chris Weston's work, I love his passion and enthusiasm for the Prog but Phil Winslade's more dynamic and creative page designs absolutely carry this for me and so

Phil Winslade

Is through to the Quarters...

BPP

I purposefully sat this one out. There are artists I prefer to both but the sheer skill, technical ability, imagination, attention and craft each of them brings is astonishing and there was no way I could split them. 2000ad is blessed to have both of them in their stable.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 23 January, 2021, 12:04:14 PM
I purposefully sat this one out. There are artists I prefer to both but the sheer skill, technical ability, imagination, attention and craft each of them brings is astonishing and there was no way I could split them. 2000ad is blessed to have both of them in their stable.

Yeah there's no doubt that this was a particularly tough one. Both the last two got fewer votes, so it might be down to timing OR it might be down to the hardness of the choice... it ain't going to get any easier I have to say as we move into...

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 January, 2021, 07:14:10 AM
Chris Weston's art has developed into a wonder. I'll be honest we saw him grow on the page before us and so I'm not a fan of his earlier work. Phil Winslade has the advantage of doing his opus as a fully developed artist and so his work for Tharg is by far the finest I have seen by him. There is however no doubt in my mind. I love Chris Weston's work, I love his passion and enthusiasm for the Prog but Phil Winslade's more dynamic and creative page designs absolutely carry this for me and so

Phil Winslade

Yes, Chris earlier work was not so great. He certainly become one of the top artist in the prog. So in that sense it make sense that you cast your vote for Winslade. Both these gentlemen are technical awesome artist.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 23 January, 2021, 12:12:25 PM
Yes, Chris earlier work was not so great. He certainly become one of the top artist in the prog. So in that sense it make sense that you cast your vote for Winslade. Both these gentlemen are technical awesome artist.

I'm going to say this now and except it will get me run out of town. I'm not actually that fussed by his art on Killing Time. It falls into a similar place as Massimo Belardinelli for me. Its wonderful world building and scope of imagination but the character work leaves something to be desired.

As with Massimo I fully understand that puts me in a miniority.

sixmo

I think that in most of these contests, and certainly from the next round onwards, there are no 'wrong' selections. Deciding who to pick comes down to some really marginal hairs-breath differences because you've got to pick someone. We're tremendously lucky to be able to enjoy such phenomenal artwork down the years.

I think I'm going to start doing imaginary art-swaps for the artists greatest works to help decide: Carlos on Nemesis, Kev O'Neill on Slaine, McMahon on the Apocalypse War, that kind of thing.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sixmo on 23 January, 2021, 12:24:10 PM
I think I'm going to start doing imaginary art-swaps for the artists greatest works to help decide: Carlos on Nemesis, Kev O'Neill on Slaine, McMahon on the Apocalypse War, that kind of thing.

Oh man there are some very exciting possibilities there!

Rogue Judge

Good choice Colin, Winslade's page design are so very creative and its fun to study all the details within.