Main Menu

Michael Fleisher

Started by sheridan, 14 March, 2018, 10:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Michael Fleisher, 75, best known for his comics in the US, but also one-time script droid.  He passed away on 2 February, though the news has only emerged in the last 24 hours.

sheridan

The work he did for 2000AD comprised:

• Junker
  • Rogue Trooper
  • Harlem Heroes
Looking at his bibliography, his pre-tooth work looks a lot more interesting.

broodblik

Never nice to hear of someones passing.

I know that he was not the favorite writer but I must confess I enjoyed Junker. Was there any reprints of Junker ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

While I don't get on with much of his 2000ad work, and in my re-read I'm heading into the period where much of his work sits so lets see if I re-evaluate, his Jonah Hex stories from the 70s are great fun and well worth checking out in the DC Showcase Presents volumes if you enjoy a good schlock western as I do.

Always sad to hear of the passing of someone who has contributed to the Galaxies Greatest whatever we think of the quality of that contribution.

IndigoPrime

Junker was reprinted in Quality Comics: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/junker/4050-51386/

I don't recall any other reprint.

ZenArcade

In a perverse way I enjoyed Junker also.  John Ridgeway was a big contributer to my enjoyment to be fair.  Never the less a sad bit of news.  RIP Michael.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

As a big fan of Marvel's Conan series, I found a new appreciation for Fleisher in reading Savage Sword (and less so, his work on the colour monthly after Roy Thomas left). Sad to hear he's died, and 75 is too young these days.
Plus, I liked Junker when I read it a few years ago.
SBT

sheridan

I've only read his 2000AD work, and it's such a shame that for many British readers that is our entire experience of him, as conveyed by the latest post on ECBT2000AD.

BPP

Shame to hear. Hope Tharg will do a small mention or starscan.

Junker was reprinted in a Megazine floppy a few years ago. Shouldn't be too hard to find on eBay.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Link Prime

Heath C Ackley

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

TordelBack

Sad news indeed.  While I don't think Fleisher was suited to 2000AD, it's worth remembering the infamous 'paid for it,  have to print it' edict that resulted in reams of his scripts being published without any real editorial mandate, which made it seem like his prolific work was swamping the Prog for months on end.  Hard to create a favourable impression when you're presumably receiving no critical feedback when scripts are submitted and left to pile up in a drawer, and are then later run under duress. 

Enough people have said good things about his non-2000AD for me to believe that the man was a considerable talent, and I too harbour a secret soft spot for Junker.  RIP.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: BPP on 15 March, 2018, 03:48:38 PMJunker was reprinted in a Megazine floppy a few years ago.
It was? I don't remember that.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 March, 2018, 07:08:13 PM
Quote from: BPP on 15 March, 2018, 03:48:38 PMJunker was reprinted in a Megazine floppy a few years ago.
It was? I don't remember that.

Wikipedia doesn't list Junker anywhere...

Grant Goggans

I was very pleasantly surprised to learn just how interesting his work for American publishers was.  He scripted the original Shade the Changing Man in collaboration with Steve Ditko's plots, and also did some of The Creeper with Ditko under the same "Marvel-style" writing.  These were seriously entertaining comics, and it's a shame that his 2000 AD work wasn't... but you can see why the Tharg of the day wanted Fleisher to work for the weekly.