Main Menu

Podcast : Glenn Fabry & John McCrea

Started by Marbles, 13 August, 2007, 07:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldritch

"I understand it's meaning is Gaelic for 'Health' these days." Close but not quite. Slainte is Health, generally as in Good health, commonly used like Cheers when toasting.

Slaine is a name; has no real meaning (AFAIK).

"if nobody minds, I keep pronoucing it 'Slayy-NNe'" Don't mind at all.

But someone posted above: "it's pretty fucking obvious how it's supposed to be pronounced" which is a bit strident, eh?

Eldritch

"And speaking as an Irish person myself, I don't give a good fuck about how Slaine is pronounced."

Really? If someone pronounced Fermanagh as Fir-man-agg you wouldn't feel like helping them out?

If I went & called Gloucestershire Glow-Sess-Ter-Shy-er I'd appreciate knowing I was maybe not exactly getting it right.

Call it Slain if you want, but you can't surely be saying it's irrelevant that there's a correct pronunciation.

Anyway, I'm done.

Funt Solo

Strident, that's me.  Well, on a message board, where people can't mash my face to a bloody pulp, I'm strident.  In person I'm timid and accomodating.

Pronounce it whatever way you're most comfortable with la la traipse merrily through the corn fields tra la.

Anyway - never mind all that - there's a picture of abundant cleavage up there!  Far more entertaining than my work-avoidance diatribes.  And this a thread on Fabry & McCrea, as well.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

johnnystress

There's a river in Ireland called (in Irish) An Sláine, which in English is called

The Slaney

which would be a crap name for whats-his-face with axe

but let's hope this debate never, ever ends

Richmond Clements

And speaking as an Irish person myself, I don't give a good fuck about how Slaine is pronounced."

Really? If someone pronounced Fermanagh as Fir-man-agg you wouldn't feel like helping them out?

Mmmm. Helping someone with directions is slightly different to a debate about a fictional comic character.

but let's hope this debate never, ever ends

Here here!

JOE SOAP

To further complicate matters, the place where the historical Sláine is buried is called Slane.

JOE SOAP

"Mmmm. Helping someone with directions is slightly different to a debate about a fictional comic character."

It's not really, since Sláine is an actual historical name, it would be like someone pronouncing your own name the wrong way.

ThryllSeekyr

The Irish pronouciation 'Slaw-nay' ( How Alex Fitch pronouced it.) does sound femminine. Which isn't surpising considering I've heard this name isn't gender specific.

As for the OBVIOUS pronouciation of "Slaine". Well the english pronouciation has always been OBVIOUS to me. As for the supposedly CORRECT Irish pronouciation. NO, I've always been lost there and never really been clear on it until I heard it from the mouth of Alex Fitch.

Even when someone writes down the Galeic pronouciation. It's still alitte bit vague until I here somebody actualley say the word "Slaw-Nay" or "Slane".

But if the comic is written in English, then I might as well stick with the English pronouciation of "Slaine". Otherwise, it it might as well be entirely Gaelic.

It doesn't make it any easier that the name Slaine might have some connection the to river called 'Slaney', or the 'Hill of Slane'.

Eldritch said ....

""Besides, pronouncing it Slain is daft. Might as well have a fearsome warrior called Killed, or Dead.
"Where's Killed?"
"Yonder, chatting with Murdered."

Not so ferocious, eh?""

Well, while it doesn't sound so ferocious, the name may still be found applicable to the Celtic barbaian's more ghoulish aspect of fighting the the half-dead, avoiding death and finally coming back from it as well.

Eldritch also said.....

"""I understand it's meaning is Gaelic for 'Health' these days." Close but not quite. Slainte is Health, generally as in Good health, commonly used like Cheers when toasting.""

Well, Slaine might be a good name for a beverage.

That's a idea.

Slaine, I mean cheers

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=messagethread&choice=19361&Comic=&Replies=29" target="_blank">One of the others occasions .....

Eldritch

Sorry, but to repeat: slainTe is health/cheers.

Slaine - without a "t" - is a name.

ThryllSeekyr

Okay..

I was also just thinking there is another fellow, who wears black and carries scyth..

Iv'e more than a few simlarities between him and Slaine.

The Grim Reaper....

Also known as Death....

Know one laughs at this interpretation of his name being Death.

Atleast not my knowledge!

So why laugh the english iterpretation of Slaine.

Eldritch

Cos his name is Death - not Dead, not Killed or Murdered.

The difference between he is death & he is slain is pretty clear I think.

Daeth is a noun; killed, slain etc are participles or used adjectivally.

johnnystress

Just to keep this trundling along...

"The Irish pronouciation 'Slaw-nay' ( How Alex Fitch pronouced it.) does sound femminine. Which isn't surpising considering I've heard this name isn't gender specific. "

I have a friend , a girl, her name is Sláine and it is pronounced Slawn-yeh

As to pronouncing the charcter Slane or Sláine - i reckon they're both correct.

Of course if you're not an Irish speaker using the Gaelic pronunciation is akin to calling that large city in France "Pareee"

Funt Solo

Apparently "Germany" is actually pronounced "Deutschland".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Claym00re

If you all really want to know how to pronounce
Sláine, it is Slawnyeh.  And nothing else.

There is no 'debate' about the pronunciation at all.  The word Sláine is Irish.  It is not in any way Anglicised when spelled that way.  It is Irish, plain and simple.  It has one pronunciation: Slawnyeh.  That is it.  The fact that there is a river somewhere pronounced Slaney, an Anglicised place-name of Slane, or someone's friend was given the unique name of Slaw-nay by her parents has NO bearing or influence on this word's actual pronunciation.  This Irish word is ancient and has been pronounced a particular way for an incredibly long time.  Nobody can debate its pronunciation into something else.  Whatever way you all have been saying the word, the word is said as Slawnyeh.  It started that way, continued that way for over a thousand years, and remains that way now that the name is used for a comic character.

So, in closing: when you see Slane, say 'slain'.  When you see Slaney, say 'slain-y'.  When you see Sláine, say "slawnyeh".  That is its only pronunciation.  If you have been saying it wrong up to this point, well I'm sorry.  It is an Irish word and should be pronounced according to Irish pronunciation rules.  

I don't want the people who think they are right to argue the pronunciation of an old, established Irish word to be offended, but you are wasting your time.  Slawnyeh.  That is it.  It ain't up for debate, mate.