Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 September, 2018, 10:18:42 PM

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Again. Still my favourite Trek film by a long way - the emotional ending spoiled only by the loony magic-science-piffle-resurrection-nonsense in III. Though I was glad to have Ol' Pointy back again for the later films, a part of me would be content to have this as Spock's swan song. Gets me every time. Just about perfect and more enjoyable to me than any Star Wars film.

This is clearly racist against Vulcans.  I love The Wrath of Khan - not only is it the best Star Trek movie ever made, but it was such a relief after the Songs of Praise comfortable cardigan sugar-flavored snot that was "Star Trek - The Motion Picture".  It started the whole "the even ones are the best" belief (neatly derailed later by First Contact), it had brain-washing brain weevils in it and it had the balls to be a sequel to a fifteen year old television episode (and recast Ricardo Montalban).  So good.

(Next best is Undiscovered Country, clearly.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 24 September, 2018, 04:27:35 PM
Jóhann Jóhannsson's score for MANDY is epic stuff.  I've seen it unfairly pigeonholed as a John Carpenter homage, but its range is wider than that.

It's certainly denser, more majestic and closer to the heavy textures of Vangelis's Blade Runner which makes me more curious about Jóhannsson's rejected music for Blade Runner 2049 - which was replaced by Zimmer's more Teutonic sound.

NapalmKev

Bed of the Dead. Four Twenty-Somethings  go for a Kinky foursome in a brothel, with Hilarious consequences!

While partying the group succumb to the murderous intentions of a haunted bed. If that doesn't sound shit enough there's also a brooding cop with a troubled past and some weird time-travel talking involving phones, just because. Full of plot holes and an affront to the senses. Avoid!

Bed of the Dead? Commode full of Crap, more like!

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Eamonn Clarke

A Quiet Place
Sorry I missed this in the cinema.
I thought it was splendid, excellent character and story beats throughout. great stuff.

Theblazeuk

I love Nicolas Cage. http://screencrush.com/nic-cage-ghost-rider/

I wish that he would be in better movies as he's generally the best part of some utter crap. See 'Pay the Ghost', where he plays a relatively normal human being, but is submerged in the tedious mess of the direction/script/production.

Reminds me I still need to watch Drive Angry

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 26 September, 2018, 09:44:40 AM
A Quiet Place
Sorry I missed this in the cinema.
I thought it was splendid, excellent character and story beats throughout. great stuff.

It depends. If you saw it in a cinema where people were nice and quiet and did not munch their way through the film (which is how I experienced it) then yes, you missed a great experience.

However, I know lots of people who saw this with noisy audiences completely ruining it for them.

The Legendary Shark

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. I've probably only watched this film about three or four times, and certainly not in at least ten years, because I hated the whole Genesis-Spock-rejuvenation angle.

But.

You know, it's not so bad as I remember. It's not the best in the series by a long chalk but holds some classic moments - from the destruction of the Enterprise to Christoper Lloyd's joyous hamming as Commander Kruge to, "Jim. Your name... is Jim." For the first time ever, I actually enjoyed watching this one - and I'm not even stoned!

Now onto the enjoyable romp of Film IV.

...And the adventure continues...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

III is certainly the odd numbered Trek movie that breaks the trend of only the even ones being quality.

Hawkmumbler

Tales from the Crypt (1972) and The Vault of Horror (1973)

Classic anthology horror from Amicus. Both movies comprised of 5 segments each, with the highlights of the former comprising a pair of retail sharks driving Peter Cushing to suicide...that can only end well, and a hostel of blind folks taking their revenge on a cruel major in charge of their ward. Wonderfully brutal stuff. Vaults highlights include a village of Vampires and Tom Baker using voodoo to take revenge on a group of art critics. Lovely stuff also, with a final scene surprisingly moody and emotive.

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 September, 2018, 07:11:01 PM
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. I've probably only watched this film about three or four times, and certainly not in at least ten years, because I hated the whole Genesis-Spock-rejuvenation angle.

But.

You know, it's not so bad as I remember. It's not the best in the series by a long chalk but holds some classic moments - from the destruction of the Enterprise to Christoper Lloyd's joyous hamming as Commander Kruge to, "Jim. Your name... is Jim." For the first time ever, I actually enjoyed watching this one - and I'm not even stoned!

Not to mention the destruction of the Enterprise. Not as heartwrenching as the death of Spock, but a wrench nonetheless. The Klingons really came into their own in this film as well. Well, they did until Discovery.

wedgeski

This was my favourite Star Trek for much of the '80's, when I was slightly too young to appreciate the true brilliance of Wrath of Khan. The VFX were incredible. James Horner's score, picking up where his genius work on Khan, was amazing (STII is his best ever work, IMO). It introduced the now-classic klingon Bird of Prey. Loads of tension, action, and great performances from *everyone* (Shatner in particular, probably his best turn as Kirk). The resurrection angle is hard to swallow, but overall, a very under-rated movie IMO.

wedgeski

You're not going to make yourself watch ST V are you? I counsel against it.

The Legendary Shark

I know - but I must. I doubt V will surprise me like III did and I'm not looking forward to it but, if memory serves, it does have that shot of the Enterprise with the moon behind it, which might be worth a screen-grab for my desktop.

Besides, Kirk v. God is kind of a neat idea...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

V:TFF has a great beginning and a really great end.  It's only the middle bit that is... troublesome (tries to block memories of Uhura fan dance... fails). III:TSFS on the other hand is pure brilliance start to finish - if it has a flaw, and I'm not sure it does, it's that Robin Curtis is no Kirstie Alley.

Rewatches in the past few years have led me to the conclusion that the 'even ones are good' might be better framed as 'even ones make money'.  Despite loving them at the time I don't think IV:TVH VI:TUC and VIII:FC (other than as a James Cromwell and Alfre Woodward vehicle, at which it is brilliant) stand up quite as well these days, whereas despite being monumentally stupid XI:2009 remains very enjoyable nonsense,  and the box-office disaster XIII:B is probably in my top-three ST films with II:WOK and III:TSFS.

Of the odds only VII:G is really without any merit - even IX:I is okay if you like the visual style of Xena and Hercules.  Of the evens XII: ID and X:N are so bad they never happened.

The Legendary Shark

I think the only one that never happened for me has to be I:TMP - I didn't start my re-watch with this turkey and even you didn't mention it, Tordels!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]