Main Menu

Thrillpowered Thursday

Started by Grant Goggans, 05 April, 2007, 08:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

I was wondering that, too.  What I'm thinking is that since that first Complete volume had books 1-4, then the second will have 5-8, and then the last could have 9-10 and this color stuff in the middle.  Since the page count will only be about 2/3 what the first volume was, if that, maybe they can afford to do these pages in color.

The Chris Weston one-off looked really good and might reproduce well in B/w, but these certainly will not.  I don't know whether you've seen the Carl Critchlow "Nemesis and Deadlock" 7-parter, but that thing is so brown and deep red and flat that it reproduced like crap in the comic itself.  If they grayscale that, it'll look like solid black panels.

The Adventurer

Eesh. I vote color collection for volume 3. If only because it seems most what it'd contain needs it desperately.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Roger Godpleton

Interesting point about the alienness of Langley's Nemesis. Even with O'Neill I always thought Nemesis looked more like a robot more than anything else. (That's not to say that it was bad at all).
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Grant Goggans

This week in Thrillpowered Thursday, I shoot for the stars and defend Peter Hogan and Rian Hughes' time on Robo-Hunter.  But have I done enough to elevate it from the lowly 4.33 rating that the wonderful "Robopolis" has on this site...?

Link: http://hipsterdad.livejournal.com/tag/2000+ad" target="_blank">Thrillpowered Thursday

Leigh S

Very good - another interesting opinion, and one i kind of agree with.  I'm not Rian Hughes greatest fan, and there's always the "anything's better than Millar" factor, but I did think these had a charm to them.  

There's a line in the Samantha Slade strips about a rogue slade robot? - that one passed me by!  Can you pinpoint it?  

Funt Solo

I'm glad someone enjoyed it - but it just reminds me too much of Tin Tin.  I've never considered anything since Farewell, My Billions (ending in prog 443) to be real Robo-Hunter.

(At a stretch, I'd accept Samantha Slade, purely on the grounds that Grant and Gibson might say so - and who am I to argue.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

I certainly wouldnt put the Hogan/Hughes robohunters into a "canon" with the original.. but then, i'd be loathe to put the (IMO) underwhelming Samantha Slades in there either!

They had a nice feel to them that wasnt quite Robohunter, but was likeable enough - probably have been better served by being its own thing rather than a relaunch of an old character (and as pointed out, already sullied by a recent  terrible reinvention).

Funt Solo

I should probably give them a re-read at some point.  
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buddy

Grant Goggans

It's in part three of Like a Virgin - the implication is that Slade was replaced by a robot and his body sold off to collectors.

Grant Goggans

This week, Thrillpowered Thursday reaches the end of 1994 and talks about the fallout from that TV ad campaign along with the brilliant "Son of Mean" story.  Drop on by!

Link: http://hipsterdad.livejournal.com/tag/2000+ad" target="_blank">More 2000 AD chatter

Bolt-01

Hey there hipster! You is gettin' pimped ol' boy!

Bolt-01

Link: http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/?p=4513" target="_blank">FPI Blog talks about Thrill-powerd Thursday

johnnystress

which reminds me-- they really should compile the Stainless Steel Rat stories

JOE SOAP

ain't there a rights issue with reprinting stainless steel rat?

Grant Goggans

36 episodes, one big book, I'm all for it.