Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 December, 2013, 02:10:13 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 December, 2013, 02:05:13 PM
Alan Rickman is absolutely immense as the Sheriff of Nottingham

True, but he's no Nickolas Grace.

Nickolas Grace was in the Max Headroom movie as well and (trivia pickers) played Albert Einstein in a written-by-kids-so-therefore-better-than-Moffat Dr Who episode recently. Don't get me started on Robin of Sherwood though - my Geoffery is an ENORMOUS fan of it and plans to attend the RoS convention next year..........

...really. Really.

Seriously. Actually.

Dudley

Melancholia.  Incredible performances, flawless direction, and a whopping great metaphor that will keep burrowing into my brain for weeks after watching.  Oh, and the art direction of the first five or so minutes (when the planet hits the Earth) is stunning.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 December, 2013, 01:27:26 PM
Movies.

If you want to discuss sexism, that's fine, start another thread and stop stinking up this one.

MOO
VEES

I hate sexism in movies.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 09 December, 2013, 02:49:47 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 December, 2013, 01:27:26 PM
Movies.

If you want to discuss sexism, that's fine, start another thread and stop stinking up this one.

MOO
VEES

I hate sexism in movies.

Well, there's a difference between sexism in movies and sexist movies. Just because there are sexist characters or it explores sexism as a theme doesn't make it sexist.
You may quote me on that.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 December, 2013, 03:00:45 PM
Well, there's a difference between sexism in movies and sexist movies. Just because there are sexist characters or it explores sexism as a theme doesn't make it sexist.

Yeah, bit patronising, but I guess I asked for it.

willthemightyW

Point Blank (the Lee Marvin one)

Still love it! I've never read the books by Richard Stark (Donald E. Westlake) on which it's based, but some of my favourite graphic novels are the (from what I hear extremely faithful) Darwyn Cooke adaptations: if you haven't read them, please don't hesitate to give them a try, they're beautifully illustrated, well written, and the design of the book itself is one of the most attractive things about it! So with my knowledge of Parker (in Point Blank he is named Walker) I've been watching the film adaptations. I saw the Mel Gibson one Payback a few years ago, and still enjoy it to this day, it's just a lot of fun.  The recent one with Jason Statham I am yet to watch (I'm very worried about it to be honest) and the Robert Duvall one (Slayground?) I remember as being quite good.
   It cannot, however, surpass this one. It's directed by John Boorman and features I think one of Marvin's best performances.
Also this is still one of the coolest scenes in any movie ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYZFGMNDOI
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Daveycandlish

Goonies was on yesterday afternoon.
My wife loves this film but I just find it full of shouty annoying children.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 09 December, 2013, 02:35:32 PM... my Geoffery is an ENORMOUS fan of it and plans to attend the RoS convention next year..........

My missus is a huge fan too, to the point of seeking out Michael Praed-narrated wildlife programmes.  In fairness it could be worse, it's a great series, but I think I'll keep quiet about that conference all the same. 

Hawkmumbler

Jaws 4: The Revenge. Utter shite. That is all.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 December, 2013, 09:07:26 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 December, 2013, 08:48:16 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 December, 2013, 08:44:56 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 December, 2013, 07:52:17 AM
Let's look a little broader than genre! A startling number of French, Czech, Italian and Scandinavian films feature full frontal from both genders. Remember, it's a cultural thing in many nations and the perspective of both British and Americans has for centuries treated nudity as a taboo.

Amélie, anyone?

Which is all missing the bloody point to a spectacular degree as usual.
The issue is not nudity in films, it is morinic, sexist remarks like "Plus you got to see a pair of tits at the end. Can't go wrong there."

If you cannot see what is wrong with that and why infantile sexist nonsense like this is off putting to female readers if and when they loo at this board, then I truely am wasting my time trying to explain it to you.
Are we still talking about that? I was under the impression we had moved onto new pastures with GC explaining why he made the comment.  :|

Yes, let's all forget about it so we don't have to address the inherit sexism in the board.

No ill intent Richmond I genuinely thought the conversation had drifted onto the topic of sex and nudity in films, period.  :-\

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 December, 2013, 06:23:58 PM

Bwahaha! Is that the one where Micheal Caine is basically killed by the shark at one point and then turns up unharmed later, answering their queries of how he survived with a never-to-be-elaborated-on 'I'll explain later'?  :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Mabs

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 December, 2013, 06:50:27 PM

Bwahaha! Is that the one where Micheal Caine is basically killed by the shark at one point and then turns up unharmed later, answering their queries of how he survived with a never-to-be-elaborated-on 'I'll explain later'?  :lol:

Was it because of his Cockney accent?!!

"You're a big shark, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself!"  :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

I think it may be worse than that, verging on slightly brilliant.  I think he actually answers them with: "It wasn't easy, believe me". 

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 December, 2013, 07:09:30 PM

I think it may be worse than that, verging on slightly brilliant.  I think he actually answers them with: "It wasn't easy, believe me".

He was asked once whether he'd seen the film and replied "no, I haven't seen it. By all accounts it's terrible. But I have seen the house it bought, and that's bloody lovely!"

As for Robin Hood films, I've got a soft spot for Robin and Marian (1976) with Sean Connery as a middle aged Robin and Audrey Hepburn (!) as Marion.

Daveycandlish

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 December, 2013, 07:21:13 PM

As for Robin Hood films, I've got a soft spot for Robin and Marian (1976) with Sean Connery as a middle aged Robin and Audrey Hepburn (!) as Marion.

And it's got Robert Shaw in it, but you can't beat Errol Flynn!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!