Main Menu

RoboCop - Murphy's Law

Started by JOE SOAP, 07 July, 2012, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: willthemightyW on 27 September, 2013, 04:46:24 PM
like peter wellers face was in the original, pulled over a robot head essentially, with a human brain (I think)

I've seen Robocop a lot and I never had that impression!

(Also: that hand in the new version doesn't look like skin over a robot hand... and why bother?)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 September, 2013, 05:40:47 PM
(Also: that hand in the new version doesn't look like skin over a robot hand... and why bother?)

For doing handshakes.

JamesC

I wonder if he's got a willy?
If he's spending lots of time with his wife it seems a bit weird. You couldn't blame her for finding another bloke if her husband is a sexless cyborg - but then it would be a bit odd if he's popping around all the time.
Strangely OCP in the original seem a bit kinder for telling Mrs Murphy her husband's dead and paying her a big wedge.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 September, 2013, 07:12:55 PM
(Also: that hand in the new version doesn't look like skin over a robot hand... and why bother?)

For doing handshakes.

Arf. I've got a horrible feeling that the answer will be to touch the face of his son and reconnect with his humanity. Or punching out the bad guy with a human fist.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 27 September, 2013, 07:49:23 PM
Arf. I've got a horrible feeling that the answer will be to touch the face of his son and reconnect with his humanity

I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt but I expect a scene where he pulls on a leather-mit and plays catch in the back-yard with RoboSon.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JamesC on 27 September, 2013, 07:21:28 PM
I wonder if he's got a willy?
If he's spending lots of time with his wife it seems a bit weird. You couldn't blame her for finding another bloke if her husband is a sexless cyborg - but then it would be a bit odd if he's popping around all the time.
Strangely OCP in the original seem a bit kinder for telling Mrs Murphy her husband's dead and paying her a big wedge.
Where going into Ghost in the Shell territory here James. :-\

willthemightyW

Quote from: willthemightyW on 27 September, 2013, 04:46:24 PM
like peter wellers face was in the original, pulled over a robot head essentially, with a human brain (I think)

I've seen Robocop a lot and I never had that impression!

Cheers
Jim

I never got that impression watching it either, but apparently that's what they were going for, which you can kinda see in the way his face is weirdly cut off at the sides.

Yeah it does just look like a hand, but again, I'm told that's what they were going for, and I imagine it makes him easier for the public to deal with, not that they needed to put it in though!

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

COMMANDO FORCES

James Stacey

he looks much cooler in the blue. Not sure what the reasoning in the film will be. It doesnt look hateful though .. other than the touching human moment with his son that could have been used to have him breaking up a drug factory or shooting a rapist or something

Theblazeuk

QuoteI've seen Robocop a lot and I never had that impression!

Huh, I never had anything but that impression.

Goaty

3rd Trailer... most actions is in CGI - bad feelings about that!

pictsy

The only decent thing I can see in regards to this film is a number of the supporting cast.

The whole thing looks like a gamble.  A director with only two movies under his belt (and some documentaries).  I haven't seen his films so I can't make a judgement.  A writer who appears to have never written for the big screen before this film.  A lead actor who appears to have done a lot of work, but I have not seen him in anything so I don't know whether he's any good.

The trailors give me an impression of an average science fiction action film.

The thing is Robocop is a difficult legacy to live up to.  They appear to be trying to do something else with the concept, but what I don't understand is why they don't just make a new film.  I have this feeling already that this film will use the name Robocop to carry an otherwise poor film and make loadsa money off fans of the original.

Nevertheless, it could be good.  Admitting that means nothing, I said it about the Total Recall remake.  I expect the worst and hope for the best.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: pictsy on 20 November, 2013, 08:16:13 PM
The whole thing looks like a gamble.  A director with only two movies under his belt (and some documentaries).  I haven't seen his films so I can't make a judgement.  A writer who appears to have never written for the big screen before this film.  A lead actor who appears to have done a lot of work, but I have not seen him in anything so I don't know whether he's any good.

That's not too far from the 1987 stats of the original RoboCop:

Verhoeven was really only known in Europe; Ed Neumier never had a screenplay credit before RoboCop and Peter Weller was a relatively unknown TV actor. In fact it's probably less of a gamble now because RoboCop is a recognisable and fondly remembered brand in pop-culture.

pictsy

I meant gamble in regards to the potential quality rather than drawing in a crowd or revenue.  Plus the chances of rolling a six twice are slimmer than rolling it once. ;)

willthemightyW

Okay, in terms of the director: only film of his I've seen was Elite Squad, and it was pretty good.
The lead: Saw him in the killing and he was good, and he got great reviews for the Scorsese produced foreign film Easy Money

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.