Main Menu

Greetings fellow earthlets! Newbie-ish earthlet here

Started by Draavhen, 05 May, 2018, 12:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

For all the new guys if you go to the 2000 AD online shop their is a few free issues to download. This covers some of the best characters in the 2000 AD universe: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/free-issues
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Draavhen: Most of the griping about the Ultimate Collection comes from miserly grumps like me who are irritated in the manner the publishers screwed up a previously unannounced book that then wrecked their schedule, leaving everyone a month behind what's on sale in stores, even though it fundamentally doesn't matter. The reality is that the books tend to go out on schedule, are these days packaged very well, and are lush hardback volumes for a tenner each (thereby providing roughly 2x what you'd get in a typical £14.99 softback book).

If you're very keen on 2000 AD already, it would be a relatively inexpensive way to get a large chunk of the classic strips. You must, however, be mindful that 2000 AD is an old comic, having started out in 1977, and so some of the strips are markedly less mature. Others, to my mind, always felt right and all-ages from the get-to (Strontium Dog and Nemesis perhaps being the two best examples.)

On some of the specific series you mention:

Strontium Dog will be well catered for in the UC, with everything but the early Starlord stories being reprinted. I agree with Tjm86 that this seems like an error, even if those early stories weren't actually in 2000 AD. Still, if you fancy checking out those early strips, the first volume is half price on the 2000 AD shop right now.

Sinister Dexter has been collected quite haphazardly. There will be bits of it in the UC, but otherwise there were a few trades, and some floppies bundled with the Judge Dredd Megazine. Personally, I've always found the strip more good filler than essential, and it kind of disappeared up its own backside with some convoluted and strained continuity. It's much better since the reboot, and so I hope it's kept simple for the foreseeable.

Future Shocks: there will be two volumes in the UC, which I assume will broadly mirror two existing trades: The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks (a dazzlingly good collection of shorts), and Best of Tharg's Future Shocks (by John Smith, Peter Milligan, Grant Morrison, and Neil Gaiman). Rebellion is also kicking off a Complete Future Shocks series, the first 320-page book of which is due in June. If you don't plump for the UC, I would very strongly recommend you track down a copy of the Alan Moore book. It's been reprinted twice so far, and so is relatively easy to find on eBay. Here's one copy for a fiver.