Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

I guess. :( Seems a bit impersonal, though. If I'm signing away large chunks of my own money away I want to do it personally, y'know?
@jamesfeistdraws

Mike Gloady

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Matt Timson

Quote from: Matt Timson on 23 September, 2009, 05:27:36 PM
Quote from: King Trout on 21 September, 2009, 01:39:12 PM
Thanks for the thoughts on phonics, all. Rose is only in the crazily-named "ante-pre-school" year but I'll remember, and keep an eye on things.

We're lucky to live where we do, with lots of great little village schools nearby. But it can't hurt to get involved.

- Trout

We took the decision not to not push reading and writing on Lottie before she started school as that's what school is for.  As somebody else has already mentioned, you run the risk of your child being bored out of their mind, with the end result being that they lose interest and actually go backwards.  Plus, you know, they're at school for a long time- so why not just let them play for as long as they can?

Lottie's just started in Reception (or the infants, as we used to call it) and is doing the phonics thing now.  She seems to be getting the hang of it so far and I'm really enjoying reading the books with her- but I'll let you know if we have any particular problems with it.  I think the main thing is that you have to be prepared, as a parent, to go the extra mile yourself.  The sad truth is that teachers are burdened with a lot of crap these days- and whereas you shouldn't have to step in and pick up their slack- that's exactly what you're going to have to do if you genuinely want to help your child.

As for teachers themselves- you get good and bad.  From my own point of view- and from personal experience- I think you're probably better off not getting in a teacher's face every five minutes unless it's absolutely necessary.  Do it too many times with a bad teacher and your child will probably suffer in the classroom as a result.

This is technically in the wrong thread now, but I wanted to give you an update on it.

Phonics is working out really well for Lottie.  Once you get the hang of the way that they're being taught, it actually makes a lot of sense (or at least, we think so).  There are, of course, exceptions- but that's down to the crazy way we spell certain words and would be problematic no matter how you decided to teach somebody to read.

Lottie has just been the narrator in her school nativity- a part that usually goes to one of the juniors.  Eat that, phonics doubters!

;D
Pffft...

Peter Wolf

The only bad thing about cheques was the excessively long time that it takes for them to clear.

And the bad thing about phasing them out means that if i need paying by someone then they have to go to a bank and draw out X amount from the bank or i have to give them my bank details to have it paid into my bank account and quite honestly i am not that happy doing that.Banks wont like it everyone has to go in to a bank and draw out thousands at a time and whats more banks wont be able to do this for very long before they run out of cash.

Whats the alternative then ?

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 December, 2009, 10:22:14 PM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 15 December, 2009, 09:48:36 PM
Looks like cheques are being phased out in banks as of tomorrow. Boo.

Already under way over here.  You have to wonder about the supposed cost-saving logic - it costs over a euro to process each one, and apparently we only write 15 each on average every year.  I make that about €20, which is a hell of a lot less than just having a credit card costs me.

How do you get paid and collect payments ? Obviously if you are dealing with commercial property developers/construction companies etc its safe to exchange details but what about private individuals ?

The only alternative i can think of is to have a website with a payment system.

Anyway from what i have heard they wont be phased out until 2018.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

QuoteHow do you get paid and collect payments ? Obviously if you are dealing with commercial property developers/construction companies etc its safe to exchange details but what about private individuals ?

Well, they haven't implemented anything yet, just decided to go ahead.  I have literally no idea how it will work, about the only people who pay us by electronic transfer are State bodies, and the only people we don't pay by cheque are staff and various standing-order based utilities.  I also like the control that double-signing a cheque confers - the idea of my office manager or business partner having control of an electronic payment system worries me.  I have enough trouble keeping track of existing electronic systems, but that's probably a weakness on my part.

Banners

I can't seem to wrap presents without getting loose pubes stuck under the sellotape. Is it just me?

M@

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Banners on 16 December, 2009, 01:54:21 PM
I can't seem to wrap presents without getting loose pubes stuck under the sellotape. Is it just me?
M@
You mean you've started your Spendfest shopping already?!

uncle fester

Minkyboy

Quote from: Banners on 16 December, 2009, 01:54:21 PM

M@

Use your hands, not your cock.
Just an idea.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

COMMANDO FORCES

I was so excited with all the stuff going on that I didn't check my shift pattern properly and thought I was off tonight, so could be on the chat room for hours. Sadly I'm off tomorrow, bollocks ::)

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 December, 2009, 01:46:47 PM
QuoteHow do you get paid and collect payments ? Obviously if you are dealing with commercial property developers/construction companies etc its safe to exchange details but what about private individuals ?

Well, they haven't implemented anything yet, just decided to go ahead.  I have literally no idea how it will work, about the only people who pay us by electronic transfer are State bodies, and the only people we don't pay by cheque are staff and various standing-order based utilities.  I also like the control that double-signing a cheque confers - the idea of my office manager or business partner having control of an electronic payment system worries me.  I have enough trouble keeping track of existing electronic systems, but that's probably a weakness on my part.

BACS payments are fine for paying employees as employess dont want to wait for cheques to clear usually.

However i smell a rat again :

This quote from the article linked below made me laugh a bit because of its stupidity :

"Our fear is that setting a date will give the green light to banks and retailers to withdraw cheques even earlier than 2018, as some already have. It is vital that before cheques are phased out, the Payments Council ensures there is a practical, safe, paper-based alternative in place which serves the needs of this group."

Lets phase out or abolish cheques and replace cheques with a practical paper based alternative !!

:-\ ::)

What ??

Cash ??

Cash is a cheque from the Bank Of England who " promise to pay the bearer the sum of 5 pounds" or however much but if everyone went to the Bank Of England with their 5 pounds they would only get another 5 pounds in whatever denomination in return because the gold standard was abolished so that 5 pounds is not backed by anything so their whole ethos contradicts itself and the BOE would be unable to meet its obligations as a private company because there isnt anywhere near enough paper currency in circulation.

;D :-\

Whoever itwas here that said that Cheques are pointless is talking rubbish because for businesses they are essential and given the fact that i have already pointed out that it is very difficult or impossible for you or anyone else to go into a bank and draw out 10,000 quid for example [or whatever the limit is] without a prior arrangement then phasing out cheques is idiotic.

Another thing is until recently i could pay my bank a quid and they would clear any cheque by the next working day providing it doesnt bounce of course but that has been stopped.

"Lets all go ahead with the plan and implement it even though we have no idea what the alternative will be !!"

The stupidity continues...................

Article :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/dec/15/cheques-bounced-out-history

COMMANDO FORCES

Sometimes being a father can be hard.

I'm sure that I've made no secret that my son (Sam) has autism and life can be a struggle for him and us sometimes (quite a lot of times actually). Anyway he's 10 (11 in Feb) and over the last year or so his baby teeth have started to drop out. Now the first time was funny and sad as he didn't know what to do and tried to put it back into his mouth and was worried about what was happening.
Since then we've been able to inform him in a certain way that it's okay for some teeth to fall out as new better one will take their place.

Just now my wife called me to say that one of his molars was starting to fall out but was hanging on in there. When I walked into the front room Sam had a pair of scissors in his hand and was wanting to cut his tooth out, as he was worried and in a bit of pain.

In stepped Dad, I went and found a pair of pliers that would be able to do the job and with the wife saying 'you are kidding' proceeded to yank the bugger out. It took a few attempts and Sam was uncomfortable with it but he was going to be in more discomfort, as he would just keep trying to pull it and who knows when it would fall out. I must admit he didn't flinch once and Carolyn was holding his hand and saying soothing things.

This is the only time that I've had to cause my son any pain and it was one of the hardest things I have had to do but I knew it had to be done as he would just cause himself more pain and be anxious to get the tooth out.

Life!

Colin YNWA

That's a pretty incredible story. Well done for doing the hard thing for your son.

Peter Wolf

I just had a bunch of kids shouting and screaming outside my house and running around in the courtyard throwing snowballs outside my house which was distracting me from watching a film so i had to open the window and tell them to Fuck Off which fortunately for them they did.

TordelBack