Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I must say I had some doubts about Trump becoming president, but everything seems to be going swimmingly in the White House.

No, hang on a minute, I'm wrong.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Bet he's glad to be out of the country for a few weeks, so he can see first hand the US isn't the only nation that things he's a complete kack handed git.

IndigoPrime

I'm sure nothing bad can come of Trump blundering around the Middle East.

JayzusB.Christ

Don't forget the Saudis are Good Muslims, who were never banned from the US.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Good Muslims with lots of oil and warehouses stuffed with US-made weapons.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Modern Panther

To vote in the upcoming general election, you need to be registered to vote before noon tomorrow.  Registering can be done online and takes about five minutes.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

If you've just turned 18, or never registered, or moved house, make sure you are registered and make sure you vote.  It does make a difference.  They are not all the same.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Modern Panther on 21 May, 2017, 09:11:22 AM
To vote in the upcoming general election, you need to be registered to vote before noon tomorrow.  Registering can be done online and takes about five minutes.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

If you've just turned 18, or never registered, or moved house, make sure you are registered and make sure you vote. 

It does make a difference. They are not all the same.

Too true, but trying to convince people their vote counts can be like banging your head against a fucking wall!

"It doesn't make a difference" - yes it does.

"whatever happens, it won't affect me" - yes, it will.

"Why should I bovver?" - because the outcome of this election could very well be the end of the society we have and usher in a new age of 'Fuck the Poor coz I'm alright, Jack!'

I'm still confident that Corbyn can get a win. Even more so now the Tories have released their bowels manifesto.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Steve Green

I don't know WTF their thinking is on the manifesto - a mixture of shit like the fox-hunting ban ending, ivory trade ban lifting and the inheritance tax policy that's got the backs up of the right-wing press.

Random theories going round they're trying to lose it, let Labour deal with Brexit, then come to the rescue.

That sounds nuts to me, more likely they've got such a lead they'll try any old stuff.

Most likely outcome? I'm guessing still a tory win but with little change in majority, which would have made the whole thing a colossal waste of time, and her 'mandate' meaning nothing.

The Legendary Shark

Sorry, I won't be joining in with this latest popularity contest as I refuse to support such a fraudulent and violent system.

I love every human being who posts here dearly as persons of infinite worth and value but I couldn't disagree more with your support for the continuing enslavement of humanity.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 May, 2017, 10:28:39 AM
I don't know WTF their thinking is on the manifesto - a mixture of shit like the fox-hunting ban ending, ivory trade ban lifting and the inheritance tax policy that's got the backs up of the right-wing press.

I think they're so confident that they're going to win, they might as well go for broke jettisoning policies they don't like and stuffing unpopular ones in there so they can claim a mandate for them. Worst case scenario in their book is the unlikely event Labour scrapes a win or has to form a coalition and the Tories get to walk away from the car crash that is Brexit knowing that when it inevitably tanks the economy they can wheel out all their 'Labour's Mess' rhetoric in 2020.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Courtesy of this week's Private Eye:

Modern Panther

QuoteI love every human being who posts here dearly as persons of infinite worth and value

You called me a holocaust apologist for arguing in favour of representative democracy.  When Jim pointed out how inappropriate that was, you called him a bully. 

Professor Bear

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 May, 2017, 10:28:39 AMRandom theories going round they're trying to lose it, let Labour deal with Brexit, then come to the rescue.

That sounds nuts to me, more likely they've got such a lead they'll try any old stuff.

RE: poll numbers - Labour polling well means panicking Tory voters are more likely to turn up in droves and ambivalent leftie voters are less likely to vote for a party they think already have it in the bag.  Just saying.

Steve Green

Yeah, I had thought of that as well - someone mentioned Len McCluskey's comment as being similar from the other side.

Maybe that's giving both sides too much credit.

The Legendary Shark

Panth, you can love people despite their flaws, you know. If I only loved perfect people I would love nobody, not even myself.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]